Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Senses and Whisky Enjoyment

General chat and talk about whisky.

The Senses and Whisky Enjoyment

Postby Ganga » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:42 am

It is quite expected that your senses of taste and smell greatly influence the enjoyment of whisky. To a lesser extent visual plays a role. And so does feel, at least when thinking about the feel of the whisky in the mouth or as it passes across the lips.

However, tonight I opened an OP 12 and there was this wonderful gurgling sound that came out of the bottle as I poured. I had not really heard (or maybe that is paid attention) to the sound but I noticed that it really got the mouth watering. Has anyone else experienced an enjoyment of whisky through their ears?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: The Senses and Whisky Enjoyment

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:57 am

I have to admit that i love when a new whisky makes a glug glug noise as you pour it.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Yello to Mello » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 am

We know what people like Jazz Lover like to do best while they drink whisky if they seem to have a void in that category.

When I have my whisky with ice and/or ginger ale (yes, thats right I said ICE) it is a noisier drink. Of course I don't do this with single malts. Maybe it plays a small part in why I sometimes like drinking my Forty Creek like that.

I don't like glug-glugs, I like smooth consistent pours.

Of course there are times we think our whiskies are singing to us and some find disturbing. Whats more disturbing is when you start singing to your whisky.
Yello to Mello

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:33 am

Ganga wrote:Has anyone else experienced an enjoyment of whisky through their ears?

No sound sweeter to me (and this goes for wine as well) than that of a cork being pulled from the top of a bottle.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Malhavoc » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 pm

I like the look and heft of a new bottle, and the sight of all the varieties lined up in the store.
Malhavoc

Postby andygaspo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:14 pm

I cracked a new bottle last night and as I poured it into the glass it made the typical pouring splash against the glass sound... more typcial of pouring say juice or water. I was just using a standard juice glass and I probably poured it from higher then I normally would have, but I definitely noticed the sound. I like you probably had just not noticed this in the past, and also like you it definitely made my mouth start to water and made me excited to take my first sip.
andygaspo

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder