Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Study Companion

General chat and talk about whisky.

Study Companion

Postby JJR24 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Hello All,

This is my first post to the forum and I'm looking for a little advice. I'm currently studying for finals right now (such is the life of an evening student) and need some help choosing a Whisky Study Buddy. Below is my current open bottle selection - also, it's quite cold here in Washington, DC, in case that may factor into anyone's opinion. Thanks a lot...

Argbeg (10, ANB '08, Oogie)
Balvenie DoubleWood
Bunnahabhain 12 (Old and New styles)
Coal Ila 12
HP 12
Laga (16 and 1993 DE)
Laphroaig (10 CS and QC)
Oban 14
Talisker 1999 DE

Thanks all and sorry for the large list, I'm just having an indecisive day.
JJR24
Bronze Member

Re: Study Companion

Postby Ganga » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Well, I would have recommended a big sherry whisky like Aberlour a'bunadh, Macallan CS or Glenfarclas 12. :)

Go for the Laga 16. Some nice sherry and burning embers. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby JJR24 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:21 pm

Funny you say that, I just poured a healthy dram of Laga 16 from a newly opened bottle not 15 minutes ago. Thank you for the recommendation and validation on my choice!

Also, I am definitely going to have to add the a'bunadh to the shelf soon, I've been hearing too many good things about it to not have a bottle. Thank you once again.
JJR24
Bronze Member

Postby Yello to Mello » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:59 am

When I was studying for finals, I would just buy 40 ouncers of Teacher's. It served me well after I got home late from spending 15 hours in the university llibrary studying.
Yello to Mello

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:31 pm

I's opt for the Talisker Distillers Edition, JJR24... Just enough salt'n'pepper'n'peat liveliness to keep your mind 'racing' as well as that lovely counterbalancing sweet unctuousness from the Amoroso cask finishing.

Just don't plan on falling asleep immediately afterward!
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby jazz lover » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Cold weather , go with the Lagavulin D.E
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby JJR24 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:01 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:JJR24, in what school are you?

You have to make your way to montgomery county to purchase whisky! none of this 9% whisky tax.

I go to Georgetown Law, and yourself?? Also, I am actually headed to the Bethesda liquor store in about 5 minutes to pick up my special order Lagavulin 12 - 2010 Bottling!!! May possibly pick up another Beist while I'm there.

The Third Dram wrote:I's opt for the Talisker Distillers Edition, JJR24... Just enough salt'n'pepper'n'peat liveliness to keep your mind 'racing' as well as that lovely counterbalancing sweet unctuousness from the Amoroso cask finishing.

Just don't plan on falling asleep immediately afterward!

I was actually drinking some of the Talisker DE last night and I have to say that even though I do like it, I am not in love with it. It's lovely, don't get me wrong, but as far the the DE's go, I still lean towards the Laga... That being said, at only $58/bottle for the Talisker DE, it's hard to beat.
JJR24
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder