Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Just starting out with scotch whiskey

General chat and talk about whisky.

Just starting out with scotch whiskey

Postby chattarock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:23 am

Hello! I am fairly new to the world of Scotch. I have been a fan of bourbon for a number of years and am looking for something new. I would love suggestions on some relatively inexpensive starter scotch. I have only had Johnny Walker Black and Highland Park 12 year.
Any suggestions would be great but I am more or less looking for value/starter whiskey.

Thank you
chattarock

Re: Just starting out with scotch whiskey

Postby dramtastic » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:54 am

Welcome chattarock,
Normally it would be better to post this one in Questions and Answers thread.
Anyway, whereabouts are you situated? It will help people that live in your area/country offer the best suggestions.
Cheers
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby rogerdodger » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:23 am

DT is right. It would be good to know where you are to pin the recommendations down a bit.

However, as you get into this whisky (no "e" in Scotland) thing, you will soon realise it is an almost bottomless pit, what with the huge number of bottlings available on the market nowadays. You will soon get an idea of the various regions (though again this term is becoming increasingly blurred - indeed there is a valid argument for not using it at all.)

So let me get the ball rolling - standard bottlings, readily available (again, depending where you are) and not too pricey illustrating the various "styles" might be:

Macallan 10 (not the Fine Oak) / Glenfarclas 15 / Aberlour (sherried)
Laphroaig 10 / Ardbeg 10 / Caol Ila 12 (peaty)
Dalwhinnie 15 / Old Pulteney 12 / Glenmorangie Original ("various" Highlands)
Bladnoch / Glenkinchie (light, floral)

Of course there are many many others, but this would be a start. Have fun.
rogerdodger

Postby chattarock » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:05 am

Thank you for the replies. I apologize if the post is misplaced, I am also new to the forum.
For starters, to answer the location question, I am around Atlanta, Ga in the U.S.A.
From what I have seen here in the liquor stores, there is fairly good selection of scotch available. It is almost overwhelming to go and try to find something new. I appreciate all the help!
chattarock

Postby The Third Dram » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:06 pm

chattarock wrote:...I am more or less looking for value/starter whiskey.

A long, long time ago, I started out on my malt whisky 'adventure' with the standard issues of Glenfiddich and Glenlivet (12YO). Of course, back then, there was nowhere near the variety of single malts readily available that there is nowadays. Nonetheless, I'm sure I wasn't alone in beginning with the whiskies from those two distilleries. And they're still not a bad place to start!

Therefore, I'd recommend you give the 12 Year Old Glenlivet and (for something just a little bit pricier) 15 Year Old Glenfiddich a try, then perhaps move on to the more challenging, expensive and ultimately rewarding 16 Year Old Cask Strength Glenlivet Nàdurra (a really exceptional value, all told). Also, consider some of the Balvenie releases, as they possess a quite delicious frutiness along with honeyed overtones.

From there, an entire 'world' of options awaits. :thumbsup:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder