Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Next Steps

General chat and talk about whisky.

The Next Steps

Postby sjp1966 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:58 pm

About a year ago a friend of mine introduced me to the first Single Malt that I ever liked, That was Edradour 10 year old. Since then I have enjoyed Balvenie 12Yr Signature (which I thought was much superior to the double wood), and Dalwhinnie 15 yr old. These were all very nice but I was searching for a little more.

Recently another friend brought around his bottle of The Glenlivet Nadurra Cash Strength Whisky and we went through a rather anal approach of finding how we liked it best, we found that 1 25ml of Nadurra with a teaspoon of water and a large ice cube was the way for us, this is by far my favourite Whisky so far.

I have experimented a little with peaty whisky, namely Talisker which I thought was not that nice and a 10yr Laphroaig which whilst I wouldn't say was really nice, it was quite smooth.

Anyway apart from all this history of things I want to find another Single Malt to enjoy, NOT peaty, MAX budget of £50 and am looking to you people for some suggestions.
sjp1966

Re: The Next Steps

Postby sjp1966 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm

Sorry that should of course be nadurra cask strength.
sjp1966

Postby lockejn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:33 pm

I'd suggest trying Glenmorangie - either the 10y Original or Astar cask strength. Not sure how they'd price out in your locale, but should be close enough. Also, it's difficult to go wrong with Old Pulteney 12y.

For something with a bit more sherry, you might try Glenfiddich 15 Solera, the new Bunnahabhain 12 (46.3%), or perhaps a Glenfarclas 12. All should be comfortably within your price limit.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby sjp1966 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:58 pm

They sound interesting, Ive made a note of them and ill have a little read up, the Old Pulteney 12yr seems to be available for just over £25 where I am (London) ill see if I can get some samples of them all :D
sjp1966

Postby Swedish Chef » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:44 pm

Looking at http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/ you get the lovely Glenfiddich15 Year Old Solera Reserve for £36 or the 18yo Ancient Reserve for £43.

Not being an expert myself I know that some of the more esteemed members here like 'em too. Personally I believe the Solera and Ancient Reserve are not only head and shoulders above the 12yo, they are both great whiskies in their price range and should give you a good balance between peat and sherry (as per your post above about the Balvenie DB).

Another distillery that comes to mind is Glenlivet. The 12 is £28, the 15 £31 and the 18 £36 and at those prices I go for the 18.

Then you have Springbank 10 (£33), a little less peaty than the Talisker but with a unique profile with coconut and tropical fruits and just faint but well integrated smoke/peat.
Still the most obvious is to look for another Glenmorangie (me personally love the Nadurra with I'd guess half the amount of water and no ice). The Lasanta is £35, 12 Year Old Quinta Ruban £41, and if you have a sweet tooth you could go for the Nectar D'Or £43. Now I'd like to say that I've never had the Lasanta or Quinta. So your milage may vary.

That's my two öre, and I hope this helps.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:44 am

Nick, maybe you are right. Just keep drinking Nadurra. :P

I think you've had some great suggestions. I would also suggest the Balvenie DW. It will give you an idea of whether you would like to persue some that have a fair bit more sherry influence.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby MoreDalmore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:17 pm

I support both Glenfiddich 15 Solara and the Glenmorangie Quiinta Ruban and would like to add the also very smooth Aberlour 16 Double Matured or even better the Aberlour 18.
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby MoreDalmore » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:23 pm

MoreDalmore wrote:I support both Glenfiddich 15 Solara and the Glenmorangie Quiinta Ruban and would like to add the also very smooth Aberlour 16 Double Matured or even better the Aberlour 18.

And another great one just under 50,- which I enjoyed a lot is the Longmorn 16 at 48%
MoreDalmore
Bronze Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:06 am

Ganga and C57 are two of the esteemed members I was talking about, sjp1966. Please take their word before mine

Collector57 wrote:Um, Nadurra is Glenlivet SC...

Do'h, I'm an idiot. :headbang: :oops:
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby Holysinner » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:51 am

Cragganmore 12 has to be mentioned here as another bourbon-cask matured Speyside. Lovely maltiness with floral and fruity notes.

Balvenie 15 Single Barrel and Glenlivet 15 French Oak will likely appeal to you as well.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder