Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Cask strength recommendations.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Cask strength recommendations.

Postby PNZ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:41 am

Hi there,
I'm relatively new to the whisky world and have slowly been trying to work my way through various regions and expressions. I have landed in the world of peat recently, however last week I tried a 26yo Glenlivet Adelphi and it really gave me something new to think about. Now I don't know if it was the non Islay cask strength element of it (I haven't tried many non Islay CS's) or that particular expression itself but it really hit the spot.
I can't track down that particular bottle (due both to being in New Zealand and my local whisky shop being destroyed in the Christchurch earthquake *sigh*) however does anyone have any recommendations of a whisky that might fit a similar hole in my collection? I have seen the Glenlivet Nadurra getting accolades on the forums but at $180NZD a bottle (I know, whsky is really expensive in NZ) I think there may be a cheaper option to fulfill my desires.
Thanks all!
PNZ

Re: Cask strength recommendations.

Postby Ganga » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:42 am

Was there anything in particular that attracted to you about the Adelphi? Bourbon or sherry cask? I would suggest a similar IB bottling of Glenlivet. Hard to be more specific. I get a lot of tropical fruits and coconut with Glenlivet, especially at cask strength. If it was a sherry matured whisky, try Aberlour a'bunadh.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Wave » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:53 am

PNZ wrote:I can't track down that particular bottle (due both to being in New Zealand and my local whisky shop being destroyed in the Christchurch earthquake *sigh*)

Was that the Whisky Galore shop on Colombo St.? :cry: I hope no one was hurt there, good people. I remember it fondly and saddened to see the devastation to one of the most beautiful cities I've had the pleasure of visiting.

I remember they carried a few Signatory Cask Strength Editions (I'm a fan), they're probably not any cheaper than other bottles but you can get whiskies at cask strength that you wouldn't normally see at CS. Dailuaine, Imperial, Longmorn, Mortlach and Strathisla are some of my favorite Speysiders.

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby PNZ » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:34 pm

@Wave, Yes it was Whisky Galore on Colombo. All the guys there are OK but the shop looks allot worse for wear and will have to move to a new location. I think there is some hard work in the months to come but I hope to be back to support the shop by buying a few bottles soon. Thanks for the recommendations of the signatories, there seems to be quite a few options that I can check out there.

@Ganga, Thanks for the post, the problem is that I am still relatively new to whisky so I find it hard to put a finger on what it is about particular whiskys that I like. I guess that will come with time but at present I am still at the "ooohh I really like that one" stage (frustrating when trying to find similar ones but good for trying different things). I guess there might be someone more knowledgeable than I who has tried it and might know what a standout feature was in that bottle.Thanks for the a'bunadh recommendation, I think I can get a hold of a dram of that at the local so I'll give it a try and let you know.
PNZ

Postby PNZ » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:57 pm

Ganga, I picked up a A'bunadh #32 last night and was highly impressed. What a gem. Thanks for the advice there, much appreciated.
PNZ

Postby bredman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:10 am

You may tire of the #32, it's a mis-fire imo. Rest assured there are much better a'Bunadh out there.

Glenmorangie Astar is a good one. Other cheapish non-Islay CS i recently enjoyed include Amrut CS, Glenfarclas 105, Connemara CS, and various Bladnoch 8,
bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder