Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Health Concerns and Whisky

General chat and talk about whisky.

Health Concerns and Whisky

Postby AdamMY » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:31 am

I have realized that alcohol has been causing me excess anxiety and I was actually dry for the entire week leading up to this post, and the anxiety seemed greatly diminished. So I am wondering has anyone noticed any adverse effects to alcohol consumption and what have you done to try and counteract them?

I am thinking of becoming incredibly strict with my intake and limit any alcohol intake to strictly Fridays and Saturdays.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Health Concerns and Whisky

Postby Malhavoc » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:36 am

As a single glass helps my mood swings immensely, I've been concerned about developing a dependency. Like you, I closely watch my intake though.

I'm intrigued that it's causing you anxiety. Alcohol is a supposed to be a depressant.

The best thing to do, if you're concerned about alcohol and your health, it to consult a doctor. People on this forum are pretty knowledgeable about whisky, but probably less so about health matters. :wink:
Malhavoc

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:42 am

Adam:
It's probably wise to stay dry and discuss this with your licensed medical provider at your next appointment.

Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:01 am

If light to moderate alcohol consumption is consistently triggering noticeable anxiety I would definitely consult a doctor. There's a good chance it's a passing psychological interaction (magnifying a pre-existing nervousness, guilt, etc.), but there's a real possibility it could indicate heart or blood sugar concerns.

While alcohol is indeed a depressant, initially your body tries to cancel that effect by inducing hyperactivity. Though its ability to do so is generally limited, especially if you're persistent. This alone could induce some anxiety, but probably not so much in an "experienced" drinker.

Seriously, see a doctor. Especially if this is a new development.

I'm not a medical professional nor do I play one on TV.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:32 pm

I talked to a doctor, and he agreed with what I came to believe that it was more stress related than anything else. I had actually recently started teaching classes at a local University, and I was teaching classes at a level which I have since learned the students will rarely if ever meet your expectations. So I was stressed that I was going to get reprimanded by my superiors because I felt the students were doing horribly. It also was excess stress from having to stand in front of 2 rooms full of people 3 days a week. Not to mention how I still had to preform in all my classes.

I will say though at the end of the semester I was feeling much better and now that it is summer I am feeling great. I did celebrate my return to whiskey a few weeks ago by picking up a bottle of Knappogue Castle 12 year old, and my perennial favorite Bushmills Black Bush.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:11 pm

Glad to hear it wasn't [too] serious and that you're doing better. Also nice to know you still get to enjoy a dram now and again.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder