Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Equipment for a Tasting

General chat and talk about whisky.

Equipment for a Tasting

Postby jlstuht » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:44 pm

I'm hoping to have a tasting for some friends during April. I have the Glencairn glasses but am trying to find those glass discs that folks use to cover the glasses so that the aromas stay in the glass. I'm guessing they are about 2-2 1/2 inches in diameter and probably about 1/8 inch thick or so.

Anybody got any ideas where I should look to find these things? I've checked barware supply houses on the internet and come up empty. If I have to, I'll use hardwood discs which I can find in hobby supply stores but would really like to use glass if possible.

Any help in finding these puppies would be greatly appreciated! (I'm in the US, but if there's an internet source, location doesn't matter.)

Thanks,
Jim S
jlstuht

Re: Equipment for a Tasting

Postby lucky-shot » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi jim, welcome. I use glass filters that come with small hologen fixtures! just make sure you dont use tinted ones, but clear ones instead. i work at a hotel and i have tons of them. they work extremely well. they are about 2.5 wide by 3/16 thick. they are removable from the fixture and sold individually. check out a lighting store. they come in many sizes the ones i use are great for Glencairn. cheers.
lucky-shot

Postby jlstuht » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:32 pm

Thanks for the heads-up on both suggestions! Hit E-Bay and found just the thing. I'll try the local lighting stores for some extras.
jlstuht

Postby Muskrat Portage » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:46 am

Jim: Also try the local jewellry store. One of our fellows went in to the local shop with one of the tasting glasses for sizing and ending up getting more than enough for running a tasting - over 70. We do 6 glasses each flight and rinse before the second flight. Ensure they don't put the watch glasses back on before the second round is poured. It brings a tear to your eye as you see good SM spreading all over the dining room table top. Whisky is also a great finish remover.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:13 am

These are the top end solutions and well worth investing in if you plan to do this regularly, but if you want a budget option, just cut some squares of paper and sit them on top of the glass. It allows the vapours to collect, although without the charm of the clock glasses.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:52 am

Okay. Budget covers...
...muffin cups. These are paper cups that fit in muffin or cupcake pans. I've used them before we discovered watch glass - they come in several sizes and large works just fine with most glassware. You can buy them in packages of about 50 at the local grocery store baking section.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:14 pm

For our festival when it calls for it we use hotel paper glass covers which look a lot like small muffin cups actually. They come in a variety of sizes but the down side is you have to buy in bulk.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder