Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

First Post - A Few Questions - Ardgeg and Japan

General chat and talk about whisky.

First Post - A Few Questions - Ardgeg and Japan

Postby HoosierGuy01 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi all! First post here. A little about me - around ten years ago I got into collecting scotch and bourbon and really enjoyed it. I liked trying the different kinds of scotch eventually got into bourbon. The scotch I enjoyed owning the most was Highland Park. I also discovered Elijah Craig 12 and fell in love with it.

The coolest thing about whisky to me is that it often sits in a cask and matures for many years. That's romantic in my eyes.

Anyway, about four years ago I gave it up and threw away all my bottles except my Japanese Nika Yoichi 12. That Yoicihi 12 was very nice - soft on the stomach and I love the pretty label and box it came in.

Now a few questions - I tried a basic Ardbeg back then and I did not like it at all. It tasted like iodine. Is that the they way it was supposed to taste? What is that iodine taste? Was that the peat I was tasting? Is that common in certain regions of Scotland?

Next question - I want to buy more Japanese whisky. I'm wondering about the nuclear radiation though. What is that going to do to the Japanese whisky business? Don't they get their water from spring water? Could that become contaminated or is it already contaminated?

Finally, when I was buying scotch back the I was buying single malt because that is all I read about. I went on a cruise and in one of the stores I saw a bottle of blended scotch - Johnny Walker Black. I did not really want to buy blended whisky but I thought I would buy it just for a memento of the cruise. I did not open it for half a year but then during winter time I got bored and opened it and tried it - I was shocked - that stuff was very good and easy to drink. Not hard at all and soft on the stomach. I can see why Johnny Walker is popular it the world.
HoosierGuy01

Re: First Post - A Few Questions - Ardgeg and Japan

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:45 pm

Iodine is typical in Ardbeg and several of the other Islay whiskies. I would not equate iodine to peat as I've had several Highland malts that are peated with no iodine. I think it is more to do with the location of the warehouses...up against the seashore. I would say that if this does not appeal to you avoid Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Port Ellen, and Laphroaig as well.

If you are worried about radiation in Japanese whisky, I would suggest that you follow scientific articles on the radiation levels. Also, look at the location of the distilleries relative to the Fukushima Daiichi Plant. Remember the winds blow to the east.

There have been some very good blends through the years. I am not a fan of JW Black but to each his own. Mitchell's blend is pretty good.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby HoosierGuy01 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:45 pm

I've been watching some videos on youtube by a guy called Ralfy. He's got over a hundred videos where he talks about different kinds of scotch and bourbon. He's funny and informative.

Also this map has helped me start thinking about scotch more as "places" than just tastes.

http://www.maltmadness.com/whisky/map/Scotland/#
HoosierGuy01

Postby bredman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:06 am

Ganga wrote:Iodine is typical in Ardbeg and several of the other Islay whiskies. I would not equate iodine to peat as I've had several Highland malts that are peated with no iodine. I think it is more to do with the location of the warehouses...up against the seashore. I would say that if this does not appeal to you avoid Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Port Ellen, and Laphroaig as well.

Have you ever had an unpeated whisky with iodine notes? Caol Ila and Laga are aged on the mainland in Diageo's massive warehousing complexes. There are several distilleries that warehouse by the sea that show no signs of iodine. Personally (and i may be wrong) but i feel that location plays little or no effect at all on the character of the spirit.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder