Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Grandtully- information?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Grandtully- information?

Postby MartinArmstrong » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:30 pm

Hi,

I was speaking to a local farmer in Dumfries & Galloway who purchased a cask of Grandtully whisky in 1994. I've read up on the scam and from what I can find online, Stephen Jupe sold the casks promising that they would be a good investment but he had misled the customers about the value. When the customers tried to sell the casks (after 3 years) they were only worth a fraction of what had initially been paid.

I'm struggling to find information about whether the casks had actually existed or not. I've been given a photocopy of the "certificate of legal title and transfer" which says that this farmer has been transferred one cask of SPYS (speyside) single malt whisky. There is a rotation number and "55 gallons" on the certificate, but no other details about the whisky except an "entry number" which presumably is like an invoice number and relates to this farmer specifically.

He had forgotten about the cask completely (had heard the news reports in 2004 and figured that he had been scammed).

If the cask does exist, it would now be 17yo and might actually be worth something- does anyone have any knowledge of anybody who actually managed to get their hands on their cask?

Any information would be appreciated. I'll probably telephone the Speyside Bond on Monday to try and find out if all hope is lost.

Martin Armstrong
MartinArmstrong

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder