Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

No idea, 50th birthday gift

General chat and talk about whisky.

No idea, 50th birthday gift

Postby Big doggy » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:16 pm

Hi all. I am sorry I know so very little about whiskey, but I am a paramedic in Ontario Canada, and my partner at work has his 50 th birthday coming up and all I know Is he likes single malt whiskey. So instead of just guessing JW blue label is easiest to get, I am hoping someone can help me find something comparable or better for close to the same price. His birthday is in 6 days..... Is the only place to get whiskey in Ontario here the LCBO'S? If so.... Do some carry more brands than others? And if so, any suggestions to a specific brand, or any advice or suggestions would be more than welcome....
Thank you and
Cheers!
Bill
Big doggy

Re: No idea, 50th birthday gift

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Bill
JW Blue is a blend and not malt so that's perhaps not the way to go. Much quality malt could be bought for the same price. I don't know that much about the LCBO, but understand that it is pretty much all the choice you have. Perhaps one of the Canadian members can provide more info.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Big doggy » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:01 am

Thank you for that info. That is good to know about JW. Ok, hopefully someone from Ontario can chime in... I believe the LCBO'S are the only place I can buy from.
Big doggy

Postby Ganga » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:45 pm

Welcome Bill. Muskrat Portage is in Kenora and knows a lot about the availability of whiskies in the Provinces. It is my understanding that there is a website and that you can get stuff shipped to your local outlet.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:44 pm

He likes malt whisky, but does he like a peat, sherry, bourbon, rum or wine finish?
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Big doggy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:45 pm

No idea of what he likes, other than johnie walker he has had and liked, but thats all i know. I was thinking of some of these choices.....
LAPHROAIG 18 YEARS OLD ISLAY SINGLE MALT $$
AMRUT FUSION SINGLE MALT WHISKY $
PENDERYN 41 MADEIRA FINISH WELSH WHISKY $
THE GLENLIVET ARCHIVE 21 YEARS OLD SCOTCH WHISKY $$
so was thinking of one bottle of either laphroaig or glenlivet and a less costly bottle of either amrut or penderyn......
perhaps a ABERLOUR 18 YEAR OLD SINGLE MALT SCOTCH WHISKY $$
any thoughts of any of these or a combo of a less costly bottle ($) matched up with a higher cost one ($) ? i know money doesnt mean quality always.... but my budget would allow for one of the higher ones and a lesser one and then he can enjoy two for comaparisons....
Big doggy

Postby Big doggy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:12 pm

ok, well i went with
the glenlivet 21 yo and the Amrut fusion.
I am sure he will like them.... ok.. well.....
thanks for the input ganga and Willie....
Big doggy

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder