Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Wonders of Green Spot

General chat and talk about whisky.

The Wonders of Green Spot

Postby ConorC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:49 pm

First time posting here but I felt compelled to sing the praises of Green Spot. It is now my favourite whiskey. So smooth and the taste is something else.

I think the Irish Whiskey industry should concentrate a lot more on Pot Still.
ConorC

Re: The Wonders of Green Spot

Postby bredman » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:57 pm

ConorC wrote:I think the Irish Whiskey industry should concentrate a lot more on Pot Still.

There are only currently three distilleries that produce any type of whiskey in Ireland (Kilbeggan are just starting and there are 1 or 2 more in the pipeline). The only one that produces single pot still - Midleton - has recently upped their brand count from 2 to 4, so things are progressing at least. Cooley and Kilbeggan both have stated their intentions to release SPSs in the future.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby ConorC » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:02 pm

Hi Bredman. It is a shame that there is only three distilleries considering what went before (a century ago).

I think Green Spot shades it over Redbreast. Have not tried the two other pot stills.

Once upon a time there were several Spot's in the series, including Blue Spot and Yellow Spot. All were different aged. Now only Green survives.
ConorC

Postby RangerRob » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:35 pm

Fantastic Conor! On a recent trip to Ireland, my wife and I sampled a bunch of whiskeys, but sadly, Greenspot was the one I never got a chance to try. Before traveling, and made a list of about half a dozen I really wanted to sample. I got them all except for the Greenspot. Now I find myself typing the words "Green Spot" into the google search bar every now and then and staring at the image of the bottle and just wondering.......

It's not sold in the states to my knowledge, and having it shipped over here seems rather ludicrous considering all the other good offerings I can buy. One day, I will see that bottle sitting on a shelf somewhere. Good luck to the owner of it...I am one fast and sneaky devil!
RangerRob

Postby ConorC » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:59 am

RangerRob you will be surprised how many bars I walked into only to see a bottle of Greenspot,

Hope you will see one soon.

Conor.
ConorC

Postby bredman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 am

ConorC wrote:Hi Bredman. It is a shame that there is only three distilleries considering what went before (a century ago).

Just to clarify, there is

Bushmills
Cooley
Midleton
Kilbeggan (afaik they are distilling but no 3 year old just yet)

The Kilbeggan that is currently available as whiskey is distilled at Cooley.

ConorC wrote:I think Green Spot shades it over Redbreast. Have not tried the two other pot stills.

One of these SPS whiskies - the Barry Crockett Legacy - is quite pricey. The other - the Powers John's Lane 12 Year Old - is more reasonable and very tasty indeed. Considered by most (myself included) as easily the best Pot Still on the market.

bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder