Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

speyside distillery visit

General chat and talk about whisky.

speyside distillery visit

Postby ikendal » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:42 pm

evening all - in Feb (15th 16th) I will be lucky enough to go to speyside for 2 nights, 1 full day.I would like to catch as many distilleries as possible but in 1 day I need to limit it to the best experience possible. Can you help

I want a "non commercial" distillery - a friendly tour - not a script! a generous round of tasting not the polite measure then "go away" (Happy to pay for generousosity - interesting contradiction there!)

A recent (ish) example of what I am looking for was a visit to bruichalddich who, during a February visit - upon arriving early, offered tea/coffee from the 'staffroom' as long as we made one for everyone else. who offered us samples from the valinch,
who (because we were there early) asked us to watch the shop while they had a staff meeting. and then led us on a fascinating tour, including a peep into the bonded warehouse. and then followed this by more samples.

Now that was hospitality.... We then proceed to spend about £2000 in the shop. but that was a different story

Any ideas people....
ikendal
Bronze Member

Re: speyside distillery visit

Postby Nelbongo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:56 pm

Try Aberlour, excellent tour & tasting at the end. Only two tours a day, but book beforehand as it's very popular, you can book from their website.
Nelbongo

Re: speyside distillery visit

Postby ikendal » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Excellent will have a look.
ikendal
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder