Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What did you drink last night?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:57 am

I am a member of such an organization but they got in trouble recently for selling stuff directly and they are just now getting back on their feet. I hope they are back up to speed shortly! Now we pay for it and it gets delivered to an LCBO store instead.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:18 am

Was that organization An Quaich?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:58 am

Frodo wrote:Rosebank 12 yr old (Douglas McGibbins)
<snip>

Respectfully:
Frodo

Rosebank is very near where I live and is on my way to work every weekday.

This version is the Douglas Laing Provenance version which I missed at theDufftwon festival last weekend :x as I chose to go to another tasting session instead. Oh, for a time machine.

If you can get it, well done to you as Rosebank is an excellent whisky. The distillery shut when I was tee-total, many years ago, so it will become hard to find fairly soon.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:54 am

Thanks... :D :D :D

Actually I was going to get a bottle of Balblair 10yr old (OB) on sale for $40 cdn, but I could also get a half-bottle of Rosebank from Signatory (same price). Hmmmm. Makes me wonder....

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:58 am

Frodo wrote:Thanks... :D :D :D

Actually I was going to get a bottle of Balblair 10yr old (OB) on sale for $40 cdn, but I could also get a half-bottle of Rosebank from Signatory (same price). Hmmmm. Makes me wonder....

Frodo

Check the vintage from Signatory. I was given a duff one by some Norwegian whisky-festival goers.

There are a number of goodies available.

Go to the whisky events section and ask away on the Autumn Speyside thread for more info as I gave my bottle to a colleague at work who wanted a taste and is collecting Rosebank.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:25 am

Yeah, I read on the reviews from "wiskies of the world" that the Signatory bottling of 10yr old Rosebank ('89) was not too good. Thanks for the reminder. The LCBO is stocking the '91.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:52 pm

Yes, An Quaich. The Companions chapters are not as conveniently located here for me.

The '91 Rosebank is one of the awful 350mL screwcap Signatory bottlings. I usually like Signatory but most of the 350mL screwcaps have been disappointments and the '91 Rosebank is the king of them. It is the most tired cask imaginable; it is simply lifeless. Murray & McDavid have bottled some excellent Rosebanks and Signatory has some nice ones in full bottles with corks but I don't know if either are presently available.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Oct 02, 2004 8:47 pm

Frodo wrote:Yeah, I read on the reviews from "wiskies of the world" that the Signatory bottling of 10yr old Rosebank ('89) was not too good. Thanks for the reminder. The LCBO is stocking the '91.

Frodo

There are also a number of different 1991 casks available from Signatory so be careful and do ask my Norwegian chums.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:30 pm

Much obliged. {Frodo doffs his cap}

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

I miss Bo!

Postby dusicyon » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:49 am

Yeah I miss BO!

Because last night I had a dram of Lagavulin 16 year old, and a taste of Johnny Walker blue label, but I miss Bo!

Yeah, thats right, these guys are super cool and real fun to talk with.

The thing is with Bowmore 16 year old it´s just perfect.

oh and by the way if you like bubble gum... try Jack Daniel´s.

Long live the whisky
dusicyon

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 03, 2004 4:39 am

Bubble gum??
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:19 am

Bubble gum! That's it... Bowmore Legend has heavy hints of bubble gum.

I was trying to place the strange after taste and came up with rose water and Jolly Rancher hard candy... strawberry maybe. I guess "fruity" would be proper etiquette.

I believe the previous post to Jack Daniels being bubble gum was meant as a way of saying it was child's play, amateurish, etc.

Quite frankly I'm begining to enjoy cheap mid range whisky. It cuts costs and makes a good dram taste even better. Try sipping a dram of Bowmore Legend then Ardbeg 10yo.... wow! The Ardbeg tastes incredible :D

I'll try a bottle of Jack Daniels next if I can stomach it :idea:
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Oct 03, 2004 3:18 pm

I've associated the new paper label Bowmore 12 with a heavy floral note, which I've found to be a little unpleasant. The next time I try the 12 I'll look for the bubble gum, interesting......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:19 am

There is an amazing floral, fruity house style that I believe you will find in most, if not all, of the malts from this house

i.e. Bowmore, Glen Garioch, and Auchentoshan.

My branch of the SMWS recently held a blind tasting night which featured, obviously, the cask strength bottlings produced by the SMWS. In a line up that featured several neighbouring distilleries, I correctly identified the Bowmore from the Caol Ila and the Glen Garioch from several Highlanders purely due to the presence of this floral fruitiness. I have also noted it in two separate Auchentoshan's that were featured at two earlier SMWS tasting events. (Although I don't find it very obvious in Auchentoshan Select).

It is a somewhat difficult note to describe, but I can understand the term bubblegum being used. :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby bond » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:04 am

I am pleasantly surprised to see Admiral browse through this thread! :wink:
bond
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:14 am

I've not had a dram since last Monday :( and another few days to go. I read Admirals post about the Bowmore, Glen Garioch and Auchentoshan with interest. I have some OB's of each and since I'm not drinking I conducted a nosing.

I tried the Bowmore 12, the Glen Garioch 10 and the Auchentoshan 25 (I know it's a bit of spread between the 10 & 12 and the 25 year old). I've been fairly critical of the Bowmore 12 of late, I've always detected a very strong floral note as Admiral described so I was curious to "see" if I could find this in the other two.

Strangely enough I couldn't, the Bowmore was peaty, the Glen Garioch had some "earth" that I associate with some highland whiskies (that are sherried) and the Auchentoshan was quite sweet and fragrant. No floral notes in any of them. Very odd, I will have to try it again in a few days and see if I can taste the suddenly (for me) elusive floral notes.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:12 am

Lawrence,

Perhaps the floral/fruit notes may be more apparent if you compare them A-B style with neighbouring or comparable malts.

For example, compare the Bowmore against a Caol Ila and one should (hopefully!) seem more floral or fruitier than the other.

At a separate tasting held about three weeks ago, we featured the Bowmore OB 12yo. I don't have my notes handy, but I recall words such as "roses" and "lavender" being suggested by others around the table. I also recall noting something melon-ish, i.e. canteloupe or honey-dew melon. This probably all seems a bit strange when we consider this is an Islay malt, but I think that it demonstrates (i) why Bowmore is such a beautiful malt, and (ii) bubblegum still isn't a bad descriptor! 8)

Let us know how the second round goes once your tastebuds get to join in too! :)

As for Mr Bond....

I am pleasantly surprised to see Admiral browse through this thread!

What.....you missed me??! :lol: :D

Cheers to all,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:42 am

:D Glad you're back!

Tonight was special, a tasting hosted by Robert Ransom (Sales & marketing Manager) of Glenfarclas, we tasted new spirit :? , bourbon casked 10 :( , sherry casked 10 :D , the 17 :) , the 25 :P , the 30 :D (which was really quite nice and.....the 40 :shock: which was really quite something if you really like sherry and whisky.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:28 pm

Which was your favorite, Lawrence? Not the 40yo by the look of it.

Last night I enjoyed some Ardbeg TEN :) and polished off a bottle of Bruichladdich 15yo :cry:

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:48 pm

The 40 was an "experience" and I was surprised by the strength, it seemed stronger than the 43% as listed on the bottle and the finish was quite long, lashings of sherry.

My favourite was the sample of the 10 year old from a first fill sherry cask, really amazing.

Not sruprisingly you could detect citrus notes in every dram we tried from the malty, lemon/orange new spirit right through to the 40 year old.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby brian12069 » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:33 am

last night...Van Winkle 15 year 107...delicious :D
brian12069
Bronze Member

Postby bamber » Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:58 pm

I did too !

Cheers :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:39 pm

Last night I had two disappointing drams, Bruichladdich 20 and Glenfarclas 17. There really is very little there, I finally gave up and had a Laphroaig 10, a dram that does have some flavour, and called it a night.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Frodo » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:33 pm

Last night I cracked open a half bottle of Cava Antigua Reposado (Tequila). Nose of citrus and vanilla - soft but the vanilla dominates. Palate: a burst of agave fruitiness with vanilla on the side and something vegetal. Finish: a long finish that works over the tastebuds. Hot fruitiness vague oakiness and silky, silky, silky :D :D :D . One of the better tequilas I've had if one wants thier tastebuds worked over.

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:57 pm

Had the Longmorn 15 yr and the Gordon and MacPhail 12 year old back to back. Joyous. 8)

If you can get them then do so. The G&M is especially sweet.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:15 pm

Last night I had two Islay's, the Lagavulin Double matured and the Laphraoig Cask Strength, both really excellent whiskies and I really appreciate the component flavour profiles of both.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby hpulley » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:37 pm

Last night I picked up some 3rd release Lagavulin 12yo CS 57.8%, bottled 2003. Excellent stuff! And cheap here too, just $75 CND which is strange as the 1st release was $99 but now this one is cheaper than both the 16yo and the DE. Got two bottles.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:07 pm

By all means, tell us how you found the Lagavulin :wink: :wink:
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:16 pm

It's at the LCBO, most stores should carry it if I haven't been lately! Not even a Vintages item, it is a standard stock now. Not even announced or anything, just showed up in the database last month and here it is.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:49 am

Two nights ago, tried the following in order shown:

1. 1949 Strathisla, Bottled 1997, G+M
2. Dallas Dhu 21yo, Cast Strength Rare Malts
3. 1982 Brora, Bottled 2000 G+M
4. Ardbeg Lord of the Isles
5. Ardbeg 1977
6. Ardbeg 21yo Committee Bottling

My favourite was the '77 Ardbeg.

Still recovering two days later!!

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:28 am

hpulley wrote:It's at the LCBO, most stores should carry it if I haven't been lately! Not even a Vintages item, it is a standard stock now. Not even announced or anything, just showed up in the database last month and here it is.

Harry

No. I meant what did you think of the Lagavulin :oops: :oops: . I'm thinking of getting some, and with the horrer stories of what other people are paying for it, I just might jump on a bottle fast :!: :!: before the LCBO has a chance to up the price.

Regards
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:30 am

Hi Frodo - I was just in Toronto (and Elora) for the week - and loaded up on the Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength... At $75 Cdn. it's a relative bargain. (The last few I was able to find in the US were north of $105 USD.)

We don't get it in BC :x and if the Lag 12 was available in Alberta it might be 20 ~ 40% less... but I have not seen any there yet.

As for what I drank last night: I was at the Elora Mill and a friend was kind enough to buy me a drink (or three) - but given the limited selection he thought he'd surprise me with a: half Bowmore 12 / half Laphroaig 10... and it worked. :o :shock:

Tomorrow night - it'll be Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength - and I might try it along side an Ardbeg Uigeadail - but I don't think I'll be mxing the two.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby bond » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:34 am

Finally managed to get my hands on a Black Bottle 10 YO last night. It is a wonderfully peaty blend, in fact its almost like drinking an islay malt.

The finish, though, was a bit disappointing. Abrupt and off-balance.

Will post tasting notes after my second session over the weekend.

Cheers,

Bond
bond
Gold Member

Postby Matt2 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:03 pm

WestVanDave wrote:half Bowmore 12 / half Laphroaig 10... and it worked. :o :shock:

I'm always glad to see others trying this sort of thing. I have a Bowmore Dusk that I'm not too keen on, maybe a drop of Laphroaig 10 will help. :)

Last night had a couple of friends round to sample the Dalmore Cigar Malt, with of course a couple of cigars. We found it quite a rich whisky, like an condensed Xmas cake. Dave Brooms notes said it all ... 'A bling-bling dram'

Heres what everyone preferred...

1. Laphroaig 10
2. Lagavulin 16
3. Dalmore Cigar Malt
4. Ardbeg 10

(Not sure if I have a dodgy bottle of Ardbeg but it is not what I thought it would be, kind of light, thin and sharp. None of the oily smoothness of Laphroaig.)
Matt2

Postby hpulley » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:14 pm

Sorry Frodo, I thought you were asking _where_ I found it.

I really like it, even though I just opened it a couple of nights ago (had it then and last night as well). Even though I have a bit of a cold, there is lots of peat, smoke, phenols, medium mossy notes in the nose, a full body full of peat moss and a nice, hot finish. I prefer it neat but last night I had a few drops of water in it and it was still good, took a little bit of the edge off. It is not exactly the same as the 1st release, to my nose, lacking the peanut shells but it is still very good and may open up over time. Not really fair ABV-wise but I'll do a HTH with Ardbeg TEN soon, just for fun.

Get some for sure, enough to tide you over until next fall when we'll hopefully get the next release.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder