Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Beginner - Aussie

General chat and talk about whisky.

Beginner - Aussie

Postby NovaNova » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Heyhey,
Just wondering if there are any Australians out there who could steer me in the right direction.
I'm fairly new to whisky (so far mainly a scotch single malt experience) and have thought of two main questions which are probably the most useful to begin with;

1. My first single malt was the Glenfiddich 18 Ancient Reserve (recommended by a friend - wasn't blown away at first, then after about 3/4 of the bottle something clicked and i finally started to appreciate it for what it was rather than struggling to swallow it)
I figured maybe i'd skipped the beginners class so i ducked down to my local Dan Murphy's and picked up a Glenmorangie 10 the original (less impressed by this one, just seemed too light for my liking)
Following this i did my homework through scouring these forums and the rest of the net and last week picked up a HP12 - MY GOODNESS this is what it's all about!
SO i guess my question is, where to from here?!

2. In reference to the Single Malts from question numero uno, which cost $125, $60, & $67 AUD respectively, I'm wondering if there is better place of purchase than Dmurphy's in terms of price, am i getting ripped off? (keeping in mind that i'm a few hours out of Sydney - i'm fairly certain that locally DM's is the only physical outlet for a good array of scotch single malts)

I have taken to the net in search of better prices (i've been eyeing off the HP18 at DM's, but at $155 AUD i'm hesitant) and have stumbled across whiskygalore.com which seems quite a good website, and just sent me my very first Glencairn glass the other day, but seems to have more IB's and obscurer bottlings than DM's.

So basically, where are you Aussies out there buying your whisky from??

Sorry for the novel length post

Cheers,
NovaNova

Re: Beginner - Aussie

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:48 am

Two guys that are at least registered Aussies are Dramtastic and TheAdmiral who I haven't seen here in awhile. Dramtastic usually pops in occasionally. Dramtastic is big into Japanese whiskies and is a fine resource for these (look for nonjatta blog).

Some whiskies that will offer you something different than what you've already experienced are Aberlour a'bunadh, Ardbeg 10, Lagavulin 12 and 16, Laphroaig 10 or 10 cask strength, Talisker 10. The first is big sherry and at around 60%. The Talisker is spicey with some smokey peat. The reamining are big peaty drams.

IBs provide the opportunity to experience something a little more unique as many are from a single cask. The cask may be ex-bourbon, ex-port, ex-sherry or some other wine. However, the experience will differ and you are taking a bit of a chance on whether you will like it.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby NovaNova » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:48 am

Thanks for your reply ganga.
By chance iv sampled a few of those that youve mentioned since my first post.

The a'bunadh i disliked in terms of flavour - maybe sherried whiskys arent my thing. This ones going into the cupboard to come back to at a latet date.

I picked up the lagavulin 16 and talisker 10 in a 3x300ml pack also accompanied by a cragganmore 12 and i was quite pleased by all of them. The lag is something id probably drink on occassion when im feeling like a blast of smoke but the talisker i absolutely loved ( so much so that i polished off the bottle and im travelling a fair distance today to pick up a full sized bottle + the 18 which seems in very short supply around here)

Another quick question, what are other quality whiskys of a similar nature to talisker?

Cheers
NovaNova

Postby Ol' Jas » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:59 pm

In my (rather limited) experience, Talisker is in a league of its own. And a helluva good league it is too.

So these won't really be that similar to Talisker, but they're a few you could try for that half-peat taste:
* Springbank or another Campeltown malt
* An "Islandy" blended malt. I like The Six Isles (which, surely, includes some Talisker)
* Ardmore Traditional Cask

Or try this half-serious suggestion: Mix a glass of half Lagavulin and half HP12 -- with a dash of Springbank if you get it.
Ol' Jas

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:15 am

NovaNova wrote:...what are other quality whiskys of a similar nature to talisker?

Yep... Nothing else quite like it, alas. But you might want to give Isle of Jura Prophecy a try if you're seeking something with a roughly similar degree of peatiness and saltiness allied to a good quality malt-driven sweetness.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:37 am

Yes, Talisker seems to be it's own little thing. As mentioned, Springbank is lightly peated as is HP. Problem is both of those feature a lot more sherry with them. Talisker 18 will be lighter but more complex than the 10. Look forward to seeing what you think.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby NovaNova » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:57 am

Thanks for the help guys,

In the end they were all out of T18 :o :headbang:

But since being dissapointed my radar has come over this variety of whisky's as being possible for my next few purchases - some courtesy of your suggestions, other of online sources (seeing as i'm heading into the city next weekend where there is a much larger range). I was wondering if you guys could give me suggestions of value for money or just all out quality for the following (all prices in Australian dollars).

Old Pulteney 12 - $80
Old Pulteney 17 - $165
Old Pulteney 21 - $240
Talisker 57 North - $145
Springbank 10 46% - $110
Springbank 12 55.1% - $120
Springbank PSI 1998 Small Cask 53.3% - $165
Clynelish 14 - $100

TheThirdDram - Im also investigating Jura at a later date due to the fact it is normally available locally.

Ol' Jas - I will definately give this a try when i become game enough :)

Thanks in advance guys
NovaNova

Postby Malteriet » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 pm

Good to hear you appreciate Talisker. The 18yrs old is really worth getting hold on. Some British and German webshop do have it but I don't know wether they ship to Australia. Talisker also does a rather special one called 56 degrees north. It holds 56% and I love it :)

The Ardbeg Corrywreckan (peaty) might also be a hit as well as one of the Edradour Straight From The Cask. The Edradour series are drams at cask strength matured in 16 different types of cask. For instance there is a Sauternes Cask and other funny finishes if you think you could be into that. Good luck, but keep off the Jura Superstition :thumbsup:
Malteriet

Postby Ganga » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:39 am

I haven't had that particular batch of Springbank 12 but it is much better than the 10. No idea on the small cask Springbank. Clynelish 14 is a nice intro to soft peat. Pulteney is a nice whisky with maritime influence sans smoke and peat. I think the 12 is the best quality to price of the three.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Rodstar » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 am

Hi NovaNova,

We share two things in common - being Aussies, and appreciators of the "water of life". :thumbsup:

So far all of my purchases have been from Dan Murphy's. Their prices are consistently better than any other whisky supplier in Australia bar none. Further, they promise to beat any other price, so in the unlikely event that you do find another supplier price something less than Dan Murphy's then Dan Murphy's will beat that price.

The downside of Dan Murphy's is that their selection is limited to about 190 whiskies. There are some quite well known and desirable whiskies that they do not stock, and so for these you will need to enquire of one of the smaller boutique whisky suppliers. These guys, who are on line, seem pretty good, with free delivery if your order is over $100: www.smwhisky.com.au/index.php

I have noticed that prices for whisky in Australia are significantly higher than overseas, not doubt largely due to the duties we pay. It is more of a drama to make a bad selection, at the prices we have to pay!

From my fairly limited experiences so far, I would recommend you try the 10 year old Ardbeg, which Dan Murphy's has on for about $79. Another few I like which are reasonably priced at Dan Murphy's include Highland Park 12 yo $68 and Dalwhinnie 15yo $56. I currently have my eyes on a Glenfarclas 105 cask strength, which has an ABV of 60%, which retails at Dam Murphy's for $113. Saving my pennies!
Rodstar

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder