Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Good beginner whiskey?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Good beginner whiskey?

Postby Andyman3 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:28 pm

Hi I recently got into whiskey thanks to my older brother. I like to drink it -- definitely my drink of choice. Now I want to learn about it. What's a good, smooth sipping whiskey for moderate level whiskey drinkers?
Andyman3

Re: Good beginner whiskey?

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:32 am

Depends on the individuals preferences. Glenmorangie 10 for a smooth, sweet barley character. Balvenie 12 Doublewood is a nice sherry as is Macallan 12. Highland Park 12 provides a little smoke and honey flavor. Woodford Reserve is a sweet bourbon. Give us a little more of flavors that interest you.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:14 am

We need to know where you want to start, and what types of flavors you like. At the same time two more to consider as all around likeable whiskys is Old Pulteney 12 and anCnoc 12. Both should be reasonably affordable too.

Not to mention there are the almost standard ubiquitious starter drams of either Glenfiddich 12 year old or Glenlivet 12 year old.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:43 am

AdamMY wrote:Not to mention there are the almost standard ubiquitious starter drams of either Glenfiddich 12 year old or Glenlivet 12 year old.

Hard to go far wrong here in terms of consistency and availability.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Whisky Sounds » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:14 pm

Balvenie 12Y Doublewood is a good one, in my opinion.
Whisky Sounds

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:26 am

There are many decent, inoffensive, not-high-priced single malt Scotches. Dalmore, Glenkinchie, Bunnhabbhain, Aberlour, The Laddie Ten (Bruichladdich), Cragganmore, Glenrothes, Oban.

Now if you want something a little more adventurous... Talisker, Caol Ila, Ardbeg, Macallan Cask Strength, Aberlour Abunadh.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Gearóidmuar » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:45 pm

Some of the best whiskies are blends. There is an illogical prejudice (marketing) towards single malts.
Johnny Walker Black Label and Double Black are excellent.
Green Label better.
Ballantine's 12 Year Old.

For cheap whiskey, can't beat the Irish ones, Paddy, Power's, Bushmills Original, Tullamore Dew. These are nicer than the cheap Scotches like Teacher's etc.

It can take a LONG time to get a taste for some whiskies. I hate Bourbons for years and by persistence, not only got to like them, but they're practically my favourites now.

A former Scottish boss of mine used a term, a session whiskey. This was for one you can drink all night and the taste doesn't pall. The very strong tasting ones like Laphroaoig would not be in this category.
My tops in this regard. Paddy and Johnny Walker Black Label.
Gearóidmuar

Postby Nu2Whisky » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:07 am

So, Andy, whats your journey been like. Like whisky? scotch, irish, south african, japanese, indian ???
Nu2Whisky

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:58 am

I will echo Adam's choice of Old Pulteney 12 and Ganga's choice of Highland Park 12.
I will also throw out Talisker 10 and Lagavulin 16 if you want to jump in feet first.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 am

Not sure laga is for beginners and I think Bow isn't really for beginners either.

I wouldn't say the blends are amongst the best whiskies but they do get overlooked. They are something to be explored as well. So is Irish, Japanese and Canadian.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Nu2Whisky » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Dunno where OP is but those who might find this useful in a similar situation starting off.

Blends
Jameson,
JW Black
JW Green

I had to mix these whiskies above with Appletiser to enjoy them.

Single Malts - suggest you try them neat first shot and add 2-3 drops of water only if necessary as you get used to the taste and appreciate them more.

Glenmorangie 10yo Original
Glenfiddich 12 YO
Highland Park 12YO

I find the above sweetish with the HP a good all rounder and my fav go to.

Further exploration led me to Islay (Eye La) whiskies which are more peaty and smoky and as it turns out, I love this.
Tali, Caol Ila 12 - peppery and then smoky
Lagavulin 16 - now my favorite.
Laphroaig & Arbeg (the Laphi has a medicinal, iodine, hospital odour thats hard to miss, but dies down once atfer you first get hit by it.)

Off-course there are tons more to try out there. Dont let anyone influence you of what tastes nice. You might hate my suggestions. Thats fine. Also be aware of pairing whiskies with different foods and how it influences the taste against having them alone. You decide. Price point doesnt necessarily make all the difference. I got introduced to that smoky taste with a very very cheap whisky. The ones I've listed do it best though., imho.

Enjoy the journey. Dont drink and drive. Cheers :thumbsup:
Nu2Whisky

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder