Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

odd food pairings

General chat and talk about whisky.

odd food pairings

Postby whiskgeek » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:01 am

One evening, I had eaten some Girl Scout Thin Mints, and then decided I wanted a wee dram. I poured my Talisker, and decided I'd better wait a little bit, until the mint and chocolate was gone from my mouth. Well, I didn't wait long enough, and the result was horrible.

Another night, I poured some Glenmo Quinta Ruban, and as I left the room, I saw the last two Thin Mints in the package lying there, begging to be put out of their misery. So I ate them, knowing full well that I had a whisky in my hand. The willpower is not with me when it comes to chocolate or whisky, and I drank my whisky too soon, again. Well guess what? It wasn't half bad! The minty menthol characteristics of the Glenmo actually mixed well with the minty cookies. To be honest, it wasn't good enough to seek to repeat the experience, but it wasn't bad.

What about you? Have you ever come across some sort of food that, very unexpectedly, combined well (enough) with a whisky? Something unexpected, that maybe still sounds weird to you?
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Re: odd food pairings

Postby Ganga » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:00 am

pickled herring and Caol Ila. :thumbsup: If you are interested there is a thread floating about that is food and whisky pairings.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: odd food pairings

Postby whiskgeek » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:23 am

Hopefully there will be some Caol Ila around, the next time herring makes an appearance. Thanks.

I see there are some good posts about food pairings. Thanks for the tip. My subject is a little different, though. :)
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder