Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whiskey lovers advice needed

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whiskey lovers advice needed

Postby Novice2012 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:13 pm

I have to confess I am a novice to both whiskey drinking and forums as my username suggests but yer advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. The reason I am seeking whiskey lovers advice is that I was recently left a bottle of old whiskey in a friends will with a note attached just saying "I've got the last round covered" so I phoned up our old mates some I hadn't seen in years and we all had a drink on our friend and exchanged stories it was just what he would have wanted, so The reason I am seeking advice is I have 4 children and I would like to leave them each a bottle of whiskey in my will but I don't want it to be just any bottle either. I would like for Them to have a choice drink it, keep it for there kids, or if needed sell it so I was researching limited edition bottles for example Dalmore, Macallan, Port Ellen, But I don't know enough being honest only a true whiskey lover would. I hope god willing I have another 20-30 years in me so they will be in storage for a number of years. Thank you for reading and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Novice2012

Re: Whiskey lovers advice needed

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:12 pm

In 20 to 30 years time, many of the bottles readily available on the shelf today should be quite scarce. Limited edition is not a euphamism for quality. I would suggest considering several different whiskies and maybe try to pair them to the personalities. Rosebank is a floral, grassy whisky. Port Ellen is like a fishing village. Macallan big sherry character (18 comes in vintages). Etc.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:21 am

Nice idea, Ganga. Other than that, I'd say don't go for rare, get something good. Something that most people talk well about. But also something good that won't necessarily be on the shelf in ten years. Not limited edition, necessarily, but one of the more short-term labels. I'd worry that something that's rare and expensive now, will be more so in many years time, and won't be something your kids would want to crack open. To me, that pushes in the direction of selling at auction, and it sounds like you want to leave them more options.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Novice2012 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:23 pm

thank you very much Ganga and whiskgeek, some very good informantion there i love the idea about picking a whiskey that suits there personality
Novice2012

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder