Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Help choosing a gift of Whisky

General chat and talk about whisky.

Help choosing a gift of Whisky

Postby Rascarin » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:00 pm

Hi all, newbie here, apologies if I'm posting in the wrong section or if this question has been asked to death already.

Anyway - I need a little advice on picking a whisky for my partner for Christmas. I know that Jameson is his favourite. Last year I bought the 12yr Special Reserve, which was very well received. I want to get something a bit more special this year, and I'm looking at around the £40 price range. From what I've read, Redbreast is a good step up from regular Jameson, but I wanted more opinions before I bought it.

I know he also likes Jack Daniels (not sure if whisky, but still...), and has had and enjoyed Glenfidditch (12 yrs again, according to the bottle).

What should I get? Should I play it safe and stick to a fancy Jameson bottle (I can get their Small Batch Select Reserve from the supermarket), or try the Redbreast, or is there something else that you might recommend?

Rascarin

Re: Help choosing a gift of Whisky

Postby bredman » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:15 am

Hello. I think you're on the right tracks. To be frank the standard Jameson is cheap and cheerful, but everything you suggested is a step up. If the budget will stretch the Jameson Gold will make a nice gift, by far the classiest of the more affordable Jamesons. Redbreast 12 is a big favourite. It's a Single Pot Still (SPS) Irish whiskey, and if you can find the Green Spot SPS it's a better whisky imo, even better is the Yellow Spot SPS and Powers SPS (not the Powers 'blended'), all are affordable and easily enjoyable for those that like this Irish style of whiskey.

I'm also hoping for some good whisky this festive season. For me personally i'm dropping hints for this one on offer at Waitrose

http://www.waitrose.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10317

with that £10 off it's a real bargain at £27, and a Christmas cracker. Very different from those on your list. It's a big sherried beast full of xmas cake type flavours and rich and warming for those evenings in front of the fire. At cask strength (60% ish) he can drink it with or without water. This is a much loved whisky.

I'll be interested to know what you decide, and how it goes. :thumbsup:
bredman
Double Gold Member

Re: Help choosing a gift of Whisky

Postby dramtastic » Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:05 am

If you decide to go for something from Jack Daniels the Silver Select is a big step up from Old No 7 in my opinion though many would say that wouldn't be difficult. :)
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder