Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What do you think of Bowmore?

General chat and talk about whisky.

What do you think of Bowmore?

Postby whiskgeek » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:56 am

Ardbeg, Lagavulin and Laphroaig have their devoted followers. Everyone who likes peaty whiskies seem to think very highly of Caol Ila, though few rate it as their number one favorite. People seem to either love certain Bruichladdichs, or are indifferent to them all.

But I'm not sure of Bowmore's standing? What do you think? Bowmore whiskies are so unique, you'd think there would be a cult, but I haven't heard many people talk about how much they love it. Did I miss the memo?

Personally, I respect Bowmore for its individuality and complexity, but I'm not a huge fan. How many huge fans are out there?
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Re: What do you think of Bowmore?

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:56 am

Bowmore is it's own individual. It can rise to highest heights or reach the deepest depths. In my top 5 is Bowmore, in my worst 5 is Bowmore.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby The Third Dram » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:29 pm

I'm very selective these days when it comes to Bowmore, though JM's take on recent bottlings of the standard 12YO has had me thinking a little about revisiting that particular version simply to satisfy my curiosity.

What don't I like about Bowmore? The 'hit-or-miss' variability and editions where 'off' aromas and flavours speak to the inclusion of some less than well-casked spirits.

What do I like about Bowmore? The complex array of aromas and flavours in the better bottlings, and how well the spirit adapts to maturation in specialty casks (such as Sherry and Port seasoned vessels). The balance. The unique style.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby bredman » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:53 am

whiskgeek wrote: you'd think there would be a cult,

There must be a cult somewhere. Bowmores certainly fetch good prices, especially the collectables. So someone must be interested -- maybe they're all shy.

I always found Bowmore an uninteresting malt at best. I did find one bottling recently, a Secret Stills 4.9 (iirc) and found it very nice indeed, sparked an interest to finding more Bowmore goodies.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:26 pm

Try one of the old Sea Dragon 30s. Tons of grapefruit, wisps of smoke. Problem was that the 80s distillate is ranges from sketchy to down right skanky.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby corbuso » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:49 am

There is indeed a large cult of Bowmore fans. All limited releases of Bowmore are flying of the shelves when released.
The Bowmore distilled in the 1950 and 1960 are superb whiskies, an explosion of fruit, with some citrus and delicate peat smoke, while the Bowmore from the 1980 have a very different flavours, with strong notes of violet and lavender. Starting from the 1990s, the style is different, smokier and less floral (much more to my liking than the 1990).
A recent Bowmore I enjoy very much is the Laimrig, a very good value whisky.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:54 am

Ganga wrote:the 80s distillate is ranges from sketchy to down right skanky.

I learned that the hard way.

I like the 18-year. Darkest fits right in my preferred flavor profile. But that's about it, so far. I guess I'll have to see if I can get someone to buy me one of those harder-to-find bottles...
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder