Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Is there no Spam control on this site?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Is there no Spam control on this site?

Postby Wee Robbie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 am

Don't know how many times I have checked into this site only to find some Yahoo has posted on several threads selling everything from running shoes to viagara. The site loses credibility every time this happens. Surely there is some way of discouraging these morons. Other forums that I belong to do not seem to have this problem. The accounts are moderated or there are safeguards in place to stymie bots etc. Just my 2 cents worth. Soon I will no longer be checking in if this keeps up.
Wee Robbie
Wee Robbie

Re: Is there no Spam control on this site?

Postby Ganga » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:23 am

This happens every once in awhile. It has been reported to the Admin and they willl disappear shortly...either tomorrow or Monday. Next time you see one, click the ! and report it as spam.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:07 am

Whne I see one , I report it as a courtesy to the moderators.
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby AmandaWhaymand » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:31 am

Hi guys,

The first job of every working day is to moderate the forum which, unfortunately, does mean some spam posts are visible all weekend. In order to keep this forum 'real-time' and to allow the dedicated whisky forumites to post links etc, all we ask is that you are a little tolerant of the spam over the weekends - we'll get rid of it as soon as we can!

Thanks, as always, to everyone who reports spam posts; 20 pairs of eyes are much better than 1 :thumbsup:

Amanda
AmandaWhaymand
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Thank you Amanda. We appreciate your effort. I try to report each spammer that I see.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:47 pm

Your fingers gonna be sore today Rich !
This is probably the result of an open membership rather than moderator approval , it's the reason i deleted the old SOI(then Islay Visits) board , got sick of going in to reject the spammers who were trying to join and having no new postings to read .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:12 am

And logging in today revealed that a couple of spammers have been awfully busy in the interim, inundating many of the forums with... well... spam.

Almost makes me want to start singing that old Monty Python tune. :wink:
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:05 am

Spirit of Islay wrote:Your fingers gonna be sore today Rich !
This is probably the result of an open membership rather than moderator approval , it's the reason i deleted the old SOI(then Islay Visits) board , got sick of going in to reject the spammers who were trying to join and having no new postings to read .

Not too busy, I only report one thread per spammer. It's all that is needed.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby richard » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 am

we seem to be the only whisky site that gets spam or am i mistaken in this fact
richard
Silver Member

Postby AdamMY » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:49 am

Being active on several different forums on various topics, and on friendly terms with a moderator of a rather busy forum, there are ways to help this but there is no sure fire way. Most forums allow for a security question which discourages bots. Some of the spammers this site gets I am quite sure are bots due to the massive size of posts and their frequency, not to mention they are unrelenting for hours on end ( even things people copying and pasting get tired of very quickly).

But then again there are also a fair amount of spammers that likely are legitimate people that could foil most security questions. Which the only way to stop them is to really make more work for the moderators, but needing each new member to be approved individually. I hate to say this but Whisky forums are rife with keywords that spammers look for when searching for sites/ forums to spam, and spammers seem to be adapting quicker than softwares can adapt to counter act them.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I think that this issue has gone past just annoyance to directly effecting participation/membership. And can in a real way reflect bad on the owners of the forum.

I appreciate the efforts of the moderator in cleaning up posts and spam. But there does not seem to be anything in place to stop it up front.

Being a member (long standing), that lives on the left coast of the US. By the time I get on in the evening, to have a beverage and share.. The forum has been already overrun with spam. So rather than pecking and searching for my threads (and potentially offensive material). I close the browser and don't return. The more it occurs - the less I visit and share.

I could imagine a new potential new user and subscriber (checking in after hours or in the US), seeing all new threads are just spam, would be deterred from visiting again or considering events or subscriptions.

Just thoughts....

Mikey
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bredman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:38 pm

Yes a pity. One of the regulars -- perhaps Ganga or a volunteer -- could be given partial mod rights and at least the power to hide the spam until the admin comes and zaps it.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder