Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:25 am

caol ila 18yo and springbank 10yo. the caol ila i bought b/c i havent tried it yet and the springbank because it has been a few years since i have had one and i want to add it to my tasting notes.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:55 am

I just ordered more Saint Magdalene 19yo 1979 (63.8%) for safe keeping. This is the smoothest cask strength whisky I've had (after 25 minutes of breathing).
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:54 pm

rthomson wrote:In the end I went with the Macallan cs. It's a solid choice and, as another poster has already admitted to, I was swayed by the free hip flask.
Ron

That's a nifty flask, isn't it? I now have a cheap little Ardbeg flask that came in a box with a mini-bottle; a nice, somewhat larger Bruichladdich flask purchased at the distillery; and the 20cl bottle-shaped Macallan CS flask. Ready for all occasions. (All dressed up and no place to go....)
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Feb 25, 2005 4:56 pm

I liked that flask too...saw the CS gift set at one of my local stores, but hesitated a couple of days too long and it was gone. Those flasks are popping up on eBay, though...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bond » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:05 am

Have just procured a Macallan Elegancia ('92). Anyone who has tried it? The veritable Mr Jackson does not rate it too highly.

Cheers
bond
Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:10 pm

Latest, won't be opened until I've polished off more of my too-many open bottles:

Bunnahabhain 12yo
St. George's Single Malt (an American single malt, 3yo)
(off-topic, I know) Domaine "Le Basque" Bas-Armagnac (hors d'âge, bottled 2004)
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:04 pm

Crispy Critter wrote:
(off-topic, I know) Domaine "Le Basque" Bas-Armagnac (hors d'âge, bottled 2004)

Since you brought it up-

About two weeks ago someone asked me what armagnac was. My best answer was that I believed it was a brandy, similar to cognac, but from the Armagnac region. The truth is that I really didn't know. Was I anywhere in the ballpark with my answer?

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:15 pm

My best answer was that I believed it was a brandy, similar to cognac, but from the Armagnac region.

Exactly right. It'll be interesting to compare it to a Cognac I had last fall (Guy Lhéraud VSOP). From what I heard, Armagnacs are a bit stronger in flavor than Cognacs.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:18 pm

I just picked up, and opened, a 15yo 46% Glenfarclas OB. Just the first dram out of the bottle but it is very nice, though on the light side of course compared to the islays I buy most often! I don't know why I don't have 'farclas on my shelf more often as it is a good speyside, and there are so few I truly enjoy.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:06 am

Yeah, I heard good things about the 15yr old. It sounds like a nice dram, even taking the price tag into consideration (C$100). Too bad it's out of my price range, or I'd be tempted to try it.
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:26 pm

For what I'd consider an underrated malt in these parts (Tom and Admiral mention it and SpiritOfIslay likes it but most others are Glenfiddich or Macallan people it seems), it is a bit pricey for the 12-15yos. The 12yo is $80 in 700mL or $44 in 350mL. I've ordered a 350mL of the 105 (60% ABV) for $45 next month. Still, I've always liked Glenfarclas, one of the few speysiders that click with me.

The funny thing is, it's quite affordable if you get older bottlings! The 15yo is $100 but the 21yo is $128 and the 25yo is $200. I'm not sure why the standard bottlings are more. The 21yo we have (if there's any left) is the old bottling at 43% -- the new one is 46%.

Since I'm liking this one I'm almost tempted to go over to the dark (sherry) side and get a Macallan 12yo. Saw them at the store but held off for now ;) There just isn't much to buy at the LCBO right now from my usual haunts of Islay and Brora/Clynelish. Spring is coming so might as well get some less peated ones; saw Laddie 17yo and was tempted but it is the worst rated of the Laddies so I passed on it (still thinking about the $200 20yo though it is only rated about as well as the 15yo for $100 so I've been hesitant).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:39 pm

Bushmills 25 yr old, from Bill. This is truely excellent. I was surprised how good this cask is, as I'm not a huge Bushmills fan.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:48 pm

Oh, and I forgot to mention I also picked up a bottle of Jameson since St. Patrick's Day is next month and I should have something in the house (I was just going to have an Islay since its pretty close ;) ). Just the standard bottling but I'm thinking of picking up a bottle of the 18yo Gold Master Selection since I enjoyed it so much at the whisky show last fall.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:02 pm

Harry - the Jameson 18 is really good. I think for value for money, the Jameson 12 is pretty special too. I'd actually prefer it to the 18 yr old, but that's just me...
Aidan

Postby Ed » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:58 am

Hello All,
Hello Aidan,
I just tried the Jameson 18 yr in a bar the other night and it was really great. I wish now that I had tried the 12 yr as well. Then again I can afford to buy a bottle of that without having tried it as it is fairly reasonable. What do you think of the stardard Jameson?
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:37 am

hpulley wrote:The funny thing is, it's quite affordable if you get older bottlings! The 15yo is $100 but the 21yo is $128 and the 25yo is $200. I'm not sure why the standard bottlings are more. The 21yo we have (if there's any left) is the old bottling at 43% -- the new one is 46%.
Harry

After seeing your post, I checked the on-line inventory of the LCBO. Not a sniff of the 21yr old. Too bad at that price!

The one I'm thinking about right now is a special edition (single cask-bourbon) of Bushmills. For C$90, it's more than what I would normally pay for Bushmills, but I'm curious about what a "cherry picked" cask tastes like compared to the usual 10yr (OB). They have a sherry cask version at C$120-130 but I do like to try the basic stuff first, as sherry casks can hide some of the more subtle characteristics IMHO.

C$90 is a lot of money to pay for Bushmills.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:24 am

Two (count 'em) two bottles of Bruichladdich 1989 Full Strength, at the New Hampshire liquor store on I-93, on the return trip from Quebec City. Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha! They were $75 each, a good deal more than the first one I had (must have been on sale), but I don't care. I'm very pleased to be set up with this lovely stuff for a while.

Saw a 1975 Glenmorangie at the duty-free--apparently this is a duty-free only bottling. If I recall right, it was about $85 Canadian--extremely reasonable for a 29-year-old malt. Glenmorangie is not my favorite, but this is tempting. Anybody had it?
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:52 am

Ed wrote:Hello All,
Hello Aidan,
I just tried the Jameson 18 yr in a bar the other night and it was really great. I wish now that I had tried the 12 yr as well. Then again I can afford to buy a bottle of that without having tried it as it is fairly reasonable. What do you think of the stardard Jameson?
Ed

Hi Ed

The standard Jameson is ok. I'll have a drink of it now and again, but I wouldn't call it special. I really think it's very very different to the Jameson 12.

Jim Murray rates the standard Jameson as the top Irish available, but not for me.
Aidan

Postby Tom » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:37 am

Personally i pretty much like the Jameson. Never understood why so many people break it down.
On the festival i bought 3 bottles.
Glencadam 15 OB first release there is in belgium.
Highland Park 15 Single Cask CS only for the festival.
Invergordon Single Grain 36Y Peerless. Grain whisky and an absolute stunner, i only needed a tiny sip of this and immediatly decided to buy this bottle over all the single malts that were there. One of the best things i ever tasted.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:05 am

A back up bottle of the Macallan 12 Sherry Finish. I plan to purchase another caol Ila 12 and then a Glenfarclas 105 and then an Aberlour a'bunadh.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby wpt » Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:34 am

a nice set to keep me company for a bit:
Springbank 21yo
Ardbeg 1977
Macallan 18yo - 1982 vintage
wpt

Postby Tom » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:36 am

wow wpt, those are serious purchases :shock:
i envy your wallet :wink: but admire your taste.
Yesterday i had an offer to change the PE 25 OMC to a Highland Park 25. Wich i excepted with grattitude. so thats the next bottle coming this way.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:40 pm

St. Magdalene 19YO - Will try it in about 4 hours.
AAA 10YO - A fine American whisky at a great price.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby wpt » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:08 pm

a nice set to keep me company for a bit:
Springbank 21yo
Ardbeg 1977
Macallan 18yo - 1982 vintage

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:36 am Post subject:
wow wpt, those are serious purchases
i envy your wallet but admire your taste.
Yesterday i had an offer to change the PE 25 OMC to a Highland Park 25. Wich i excepted with grattitude. so thats the next bottle coming this way.

well it's not an everyday occurrance. i have to admit these are very fine whiskys. i also got a little deal with new finds of older bottles at old prices.

the added expense also tends to compel one to really savor what your drinking. smaller dram sizes coupled with longer times to finish a glass and bottle. a trade off i am more than willing to accept -- sometimes :wink:
wpt

Postby Intensecure » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:56 am

I have just started to appreciate the finer malt whiskys, after the last 20 years of Teachers/Grants/Black Label and Chivas drinking - maybe because I finally have the time and the money, who knows?
So I went out a couple of days ago and procured the following from a local stockist.
I might add that although I am a wandering Brit, I am currently based in Malaysia - which does not boast the highest concentration of available malt whisky shops in the world ;)
But I like all of these:
Auchentoshan 12yo.
Balvenie 12yo DW.
Highland Park 12yo.
Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve 12yo.
Bowmore Cask Strength.
Glenfarclas 12yo.
Spent the last two days nosing and tasting these ;)
A basic, but respectable start for a neophyte I think! Certainly it has given me a nice range of styles to experiment with before I really start... :)
Intensecure

Postby Nock » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:01 pm

Well

I was just at my local store of temptation
and saw that they only had two bottles of Lagavulin left.
The guy at the counter said they were going to order
more but I highly doubt that Seattle will see
another shipment anytime soon.
SO I bought one of the two.

This is kind of sad. I had gone to pick up
the Macallan CS.
I mean we all know that we won't be seeing that one again.
(that is the CS in sherry casks)
BUT I just couldn't help myself.
They had over 10 bottles of that Macallan
and only two Lagavulin . . . so all alone.

Aaron
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby andrewfenton » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:28 pm

Ardbeg Uigedail, I've found a new favourite :-) It's basically a melding of two of my other favourites, Ardbeg 10 and A'Bunadh, so always was going to appeal.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Frodo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:06 pm

Just got a 200ml bottle of 15yr Bruichladdich (OB) so that I can have another look at what others seem to like. Mostly this was prompted by the reactions of the tasters in my last (and only) tasting gig.

I'm also looking at a bottle of single cask bushmills (bourbon). I think that I would at last see if I can like this stuff not sherried up - just the plain, good dram! Problem is for a no age statement bottle, it's going for C$90 :shock: . That's probably too high for me to try, considering what the 10yr old tastes like. Too bad the tasting tower doesn't have any.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby pam b » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:46 am

My lastest puchases have been quite simple but most enjoyable.
ardbeg 10 g&M
balvenie 12
port ellen 21
glen mhor 19

the Port Ellen nocks the socks of them all
pam b

Postby Bullie » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:49 pm

Two hours ago... :)
Aberlour a'bunadh Batch No12 60% ABV

Finally I got my lazy ass down to the shop for 'that' bottle.
At the humble prize of EUR 51. (£35, $67)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:54 am

Uh, oh, went a bit over the top the last couple of days:

Braeval 11yr Cadenhead cask strength (62% or so)
Ardbeg Uigedail
Lochside 18yr Murray McDavid (46%)
Caol Ila 13yr Mecoc finish (50%) - MacLeod's Chieftain's range

The last two seem pretty cheap (drinkfinder.co.uk), at £33.50 and £25 respectively - the former in particular, given it's an 18yr from a demolished distillery with a good reputation.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:03 am

bamber wrote:St. Magdalene 19YO - Will try it in about 4 hours.

Did you try it?
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:40 am

Intensecure wrote:I like all of these:
Auchentoshan 12yo.
Balvenie 12yo DW.
Highland Park 12yo.
Glenfiddich Caoran Reserve 12yo.
Bowmore Cask Strength.
Glenfarclas 12yo.
Spent the last two days nosing and tasting these ;)
A basic, but respectable start for a neophyte I think! Certainly it has given me a nice range of styles to experiment with before I really start... :)

What do you think of the Caoran? I bought a bottle two or three years ago and hated it--ended up giving to a friend for use in toddies. I found it tasted of wood smoke, and not pleasant wood smoke, either. I'm thinking of a Guy Fawkes Day bonfire I witnessed in the Yorkshire Dales, piled high with old furniture and other toxic junk. Well, okay, it wasn't that bad. But I'm always interested to hear people's opinions of stuff that I don't like.
Deactivated Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:59 am

What is the Caoran? I gather it's some sort of 'fiddich finish, yes? Can anyone enlighten me?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:15 pm

andrewfenton wrote:Lochside 18yr Murray McDavid (46%)

Checked some other places, and the Lochside is normally £50ish (eg whiskyexchange). For anyone who likes the style this is a real bargain at £33.50 (drinkfinder).
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder