Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Frodo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:13 am

On Wednsday:

17yr old Dailuaine (Signatory) [C$70]
Ardmore '92 (11yr old) from Signatory Un-chill filtered collection [C$75]

Many thanks to Andrew and Harry for your helpful tasting notes regarding the Ardmore.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:42 am

Frodo:
Would be very interested in your evaluation of the Ardmore. I've had that one in my sights for a while. Thanks.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:15 am

Sorry but I won't be opening any new bottles for a while. My tasting will be limited to Thursdays at the tasting tower and the odd dram of Clynelish H&B at home. Wish I could be of more help.

:idea: Harry, perhaps you could provide Lord Pfaffin with the same tasting notes you passed on to me. :idea: These together with Andrew's tasting notes under the Ardmore thread might be of use to you.

Cheers.
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:57 pm

I've been following the advice given by members of this forum and bought the Springbank 10yo instead of forking out for the more expensive Longrow.

Thanks everybody!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:35 pm

Here is what I sent to Frodo regarding the Ardmore:

Ardmore reminds me a lot of a lighter Caol Ila but in ways that are better than a light Caol Ila or Clynelish. It is a full bodied east highland (or speyside, depending on the boundary lines chosen) with lots and lots of zip with fruity, malty, citrousy notes plus some smoke. . I should really get another one as I can't seem to find my tasting notes from the first bottle... And I'd like to compare it to Glenfarclas 15yo which is a nother zippy speysider. Hmm, but then I might need a Clynelish 14yo to compare it to as well... and even some Caol Ila... This is getting expensive

I guess overall its just that I get excited by speyside and highland malts with some smoke, peat and/or iodine in them and Ardmore is one of them. If you like Teacher's Highland Cream blend then you probably like Ardmore as that blend company owns the distillery which only rarely bottles it as a single.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:54 pm

The Ardmore is certainly interesting, but be careful which Sig bottling you get - they can vary a heck of a lot.

Also, if you're wanting to compare it, a good option is the other inland East Highland distillery: Glen Garioch.
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby hpulley » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:38 pm

Glen Garioch is another good comparison as it is an east highland with some smoke. Quite different whiskies, however.

I've only had one Sig Ardmore, the same one that Frodo got here (all the LCBO stores have the same stock) so I know its good. I also know that in general Sig bottlings vary quite a bit (not a top notch bottler, IMO, compared to some others which seem to be batting close to 1.000).

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:56 pm

"Glenfarclas Private Selection n°1" Cask 689

This cask, filled on 07/02/1968, has matured in warehouse n°12 for more then 37 years and will be bottled at cask strength (+/- 52%) limited to only 150 bottles.

:D
Last edited by Lawrence on Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Tom » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:13 pm

Do you have the cask number?
i sampled a few of those including Twin casks being bottled over 4 years.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:32 pm

Just got a bottle of George Dickel Tennessee Whisky number 12 for $16. It came in a nice tube with pictures of pheasants and Turkeys. Though I am really not a bourbon or tennessee drinker, Broom rants and raves about it in his book and Whisky Mag. I thought I'd try and see what the fuss was about.

Cheers!

Oliver
http://www.maltresistance.blogospot.com
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:37 am

Harry:

I agree with your assessment of Signatory bottlings - usually a hit-or-miss affair in my experiance. However if you can get a bottling that's good, the prices can be quite favourable. I realize I took a chance on the 17yr Dailuaine, but for C$85...

Oliver:

I've read great things from Broom on this one. Too bad we don't get that here in Ontario. I'd be curious to hear from you how you think this one compares to Bourbon. I'm not sure how many bourbons you've tried however...

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Oliver » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:07 pm

Frodo,

Besides the obvious ones (maker's mark, wild turkey, etc...) I have the A.H. Hirsch 16 year which is great. Also tasted the the Evan Williams vintage bottling, good, but a little too light or refined for me... One of my very favourite is the Elijah Craig 12 years old (and at a good price too).
Though I am not a Bourbon drinker, Louisiana is a bit of a bourbon paradise (there's gotta be something going for the place!) because the taxes on alcohol are so low and the boubon producing regions are close. Prices on malt are good too, but the selection is abysmal; we haven't gotten the Ardbeg Uguiedal yet --we may never get it!

Frodo, if you would like to explore the possibiblity of trades via mail, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Cheers,

Oliver
http://www.maltresistance.blogspot.com
today's news: Lying Laphroaig!
Oliver
Silver Member

Postby Tom » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:17 pm

Lawrence wrote:"Glenfarclas Private Selection n°1" Cask 689

This cask, filled on 07/02/1968, has matured in warehouse n°12 for more then 37 years and will be bottled at cask strength (+/- 52%) limited to only 150 bottles.

Hi Lawrence, thats one of the twin casks i sampled. That particular cask is gonna be bottled at 26/02/08 for the birthday of one of the three biggest Glenfarclas collectors in Europe. What confuses me a bit is the name. When i sampled it with all three the collectors present, it was gonna be called "For friends Edition n°3" its twin cask is 688 wich is bottled and availeble exclusive trough the owner of the cask. I'm mighty interested in your tasting notes of it. I only made quick notes of it because its gonna stay in cask for awhile, but im looking at the scores now and notice that your cask is the better of the two. i clearly remember how different the 2 casks are. amazing really.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Golem » Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:34 pm

I purchased a bottle of the Ardbeg Serendipity when it became available online - but thus far it hasn't arrived... Has anyone tasted it yet? (I'm now assuming that it isn't an April Fools' joke, given that it's still for sale from the distillery website)

In the meantime, I've also bought a bottle of Royal Mile Whiskies' "Young Peaty Islay" - a six year old single cask from Bowmore at 61.5%

It's not like anything from that distillery that I've tried before - really quite bold, with (unsurprisingly) hardly any wood influence, which lets the fresh and assertive peat come through a treat.

OK, so it's not the most complex whisky around - but at £25 a pop, it's an unusual bit of fun that's well worth a punt (IMHO).
Golem

Postby Lawrence » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:02 pm

Tom, small world. I have no idea about the name change bu I do know the original plan was to was until it was a 40 year old but that was changed to bottling it NOW! Good call. Check out further details at http://www.whiskyfun.com
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Bullie » Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:14 pm

Ok... Today me and my friends visited Stig at Scotspain in Copenhagen. :D
Thanks for the welcoming atmosphere at your shop, Stig!! And thanks for all the samples! The lads really enjoyed themselves. To bad they didn't have any food at the Scottish Pub we were supposed to lunch at. (Well we had a couple of pints instead)

I ended up with six new malts.

St.Magdalene 19 yrs (1979) Rare Malts Series :lol: (finally)
Brora 20 yrs (1982) Rare Malts Series
Talisker 1991 Double Matured Distillers Edt.
Balvenie 12 yrs Double Wood
Ardbeg 10 yrs
Springbank 10 yrs 100 proof

As you all can see, I ended up with one bottle from all of the six districts. And it was, believe it or not, unintentional!!!
:shock:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:21 pm

Well, I ended up - as usual - with another Islay whisky. A very nice person going back to Scottland brought with him a bottle of Bowmore Surf. This is going to be exciting as I have never before tasted a Bowmore!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:05 pm

Mr Fjeld,

Good luck with the Bowmore. I got the "Dusk" and it was terrible.

Nose: soap
Palate: soap
Finish: soap

It has turned me off ever taking a chance on a bowmore again :x
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:03 pm

well, I've seen many on this forum saying unfavourable things about Bowmore whiskies. But I promise I'll keep an open mind about this one. I'm not a person whom easily dislikes whatever I choose to try wether it's spicy meals, wines, or anything. A fitting example would be the delicacy of smoked sheap head which is a favourite of mine. No wonder I have a preference for Islays!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby hpulley » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:04 pm

Out of interest, what whisky would best match the smoked sheep's head?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:26 pm

That's a very interesting question Harry! The traditional drink is a dark and powerful beer and our norwegian "Aquavit" which is a potato based spirit with a (with this meal) a strong herbal flavour. It's especially good for cleansing the mouth of the lamb/sheep fat you get in your mouth. Most often than not the spirit is aged in sherry casks - and are thus expensive as they compete with the whisky business for the same casks. A small world indeed!

I haven't tried yet - and it's a shame, but whisky should be very good. I definately have to try this next autumn! I think I would go for two extremes though. Maybe something strong and pungent from Islay like a cask strength. The salty finish would be awesome after something fatty like this meal. I think any of the Kildalton distilleries would be marvellous - but I would have to ask you guys to suggest something with a strong sherry character -perhaps with a slightly herbal taste or scent to it - if there exist such a thing? I'm a little bit conserned about how very malty whiskies would fit though - could be a possible disaster?

I wonder if Old Bollard has tried whisky with smoked/dried lamb/sheep head?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby hpulley » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:36 pm

Bowmore Darkest might fit the bill, sherried, peaty, herbal. Perhaps too sweet but I'm not sure. Lagavulin DE might be another?

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:43 pm

Thanks - It really deserves to be tried out!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby wieslaw » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:11 am

Visited Rhode Island. Could only take one home with me. Talisker 18 or Highland Park 18 or Lagavulin 16. Tough choice. Went Islay.

Wieslaw
wieslaw

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:13 am

wieslaw wrote:Visited Rhode Island. Could only take one home with me. Talisker 18 or Highland Park 18 or Lagavulin 16. Tough choice. Went Islay.

Wieslaw

Is it Connecticut or Massachusetts with the import quota?
Deactivated Member

Postby Nock » Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:24 am

Just got back from a visit to Vancouver
(trying to figure another way up there in May . . .)

and on the way back picked up a liter
(or litre for those who like it that way :wink: )
bottle of Glenmorangie at the Duty Free.

They didn't have much else that tempted me
and I haven't bought a bottle of the stuff
in close to 4 years. I know it's not my favorite
but it will be nice to have around.

On a crazy note. The Duty Free shop going
IN to Canada had the old packaging of
the Talisker 10yo 45.8%
for $23 :shock:
I guess they are trying to move their old
stock to make room for the new package version.

I should have picked it up then and there
but thought I might get lucky going the other way.
No such luck :cry:
Nock
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:36 pm

Just sampled a bottle of Cheiftain's Choice 11 yr old Rosebank. Actually very nice. I would describe it as really really pleasent.
Aidan

Postby Ed » Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:15 pm

Hello All,
Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year old. Having a sip now. Very nice.
ED
Ed
Silver Member

Postby jlane » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:12 pm

Scapa 14 yr old - excellent and so glad to see the distillery back again from the brink. Well done Allied!

Talisker 18 yr old - not a patch on the 10yr old (which is now not as good as it was). The 18 yr old seems good value, but it is really nothing special.
jlane

Postby hpulley » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:18 pm

Pernod has made a bid for Allied. I hope Scapa survives the acquisition. I hear Laphroaig is going to Fortune Brands, along with Maker's Mark and Canadian Club. Haven't heard about Scapa or Glendronach yet...

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:57 pm

I doubt (or do I mean hope :? ) they'll mothball Scapa as the interest in single malt is on the rise, but who knows? Haven't the Scapa 14 received quite good reviews?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Lawrence » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:04 pm

As I understand it they will sell the following to Fortune (Jim Beam) for £28m, Canadian Club, Courvoisier, Maker's Mark and Sauza.
here is a link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4466937.stm
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby bernstein » Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:45 am

Now that is turning this thread "What is your most recent (whisky) purchase?" in a new thrilling dimension :wink: ...
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Apr 23, 2005 4:44 pm

I wish I was had the stock majority in Pernod Richard because then I'd say in this thread: Today I purchased a couple of distilleries :D

Anyway, I haven't bought anything myself today, but my girlfriend just bought me the Ardbeg 10 which I finished a couple of weeks ago. I think I love her!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby hpulley » Sat Apr 23, 2005 6:47 pm

She's a keeper, Christian! :D
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder