Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What is your most recent (whisky) purchase.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:42 pm

Ed wrote: Mr TattieHeid, you may feel free to turn up your nose at vatted malts as something substandard unworthy of your time and attention. Perhaps you are correct to do so. I certainly am not in a position to tell you to do otherwise, I, a lowly bourbon drinker just now exploring malts in a serious way.

My goodness, I hope that's not what I said! I can't find the reference just now. I'm sure I said I wasn't much interested in vatted malts, nor bourbons, either, but I'd never say they were "something substandard unworthy of [one's] time and attention". I'm simply keen right now on examining the product of each Scottish distillery in its own right. Perhaps at some time in the future an exploration of the Compass Box kind of thing will seem the next logical step, but just now I'm awash in single malts. Hey, whatever floats your boat is okay with me. Nor would I ever classify you as a "lowly" bourbon drinker, nor discount your opinion just because I thought I had more experience than you. I've only been into this for a few years myself.

I do hope I can get you to stop saying "irregardless", though. :D

Harry, this confusion over the use of the word "vatted" is precisely why I never liked the term "vatted malt". I thought "pure malt" or "all malt" was more properly descriptive, but I seem to be in a minority on that.

Admiral, I defer to your distinction between vatting and blending, although this sounds an awful lot like the discussion over whether Islay is an Island, or just an island. Jackson notes that the grocer's vattings became blends with the introduction of the column still. But I do wonder what the grocers called the product prior to that...well, probably just "whisky".
Deactivated Member

Most recent whisky purchases

Postby KenBeau » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:09 am

Not but 30 minutes ago I pruchased Lagavulin OB, White Horse 12 YO, Redbreast, AND the pick of the day..my own bottle of George T Stagg :!: , plus the snack-size bottle of Cabo-Wabo Reposado.

Damn, I might have to open up a bar or lounge with all the other booze I've got since I am frugal in my own drinking habits.

TTFN :roll:
Ken
KenBeau

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:04 am

Hello All,
Hello Mr TattieHeid,
I think I needed to sprinkle a few more smiley faces in my post, I was just having a bit of fun. :) As for Irregardless, I remain irrepentant (archaic form of unrepentant) though many find the word irreputable. Sorry if it irritates you. My Webster's says it is a real word but don't use it. I think they are sissies... As for my being a lowly bourbon drinker, I thought that since I was teasing you I had better tease myself as well. ;)
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:59 am

Thanks, Ed. I always hated smileys and emoticons :x , but they are useful, aren't they? Kind of like the cell phone. :evil: Actually, the real reason it I'm so sensitive about being accused of snobbery of any kind is because it's too close to the truth! :oops:

Since "regardless" is what you mean--or perhaps "irrespective"--why would you want to negate it? :?
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:40 am

I used to quite happily use the term "vatted malt" interchangeably with "pure malt" and was comfortable to do so, but it seems the whole Cardhu Pure thing set the cat amongst the pigeons on that front.

I'm the first to admit that the world of whisky terminolgy is a little confusing. It is unfortunate that a vatted malt means malts from multiple distilleries, whilst the distilleries can carry out a vatting of multiple casks when they do a bottling run.

For the record, I'm happy to state that I have yet to taste any blend that I thought was superior to the vatted malts I've tried.

Perhaps I just don't like grain whisky, or I haven't tasted a sensational blend yet. But my point is this: Most of the vatted malts are pretty good and enjoyable drams, and I'm surprised to have read here that a few of our regular contributors have been less than impressed with various vatted malt bottlings.

Cheers,
Admiral

P.S. Ed.....this is a public forum for a bunch of humble whisky enthusiasts. Less than a handful of contributors here are actually employed in the whisky industry. One of the reasons this site appeals to me is that we're all just punters who enjoy a dram. Therefore, don't ever feel that you "lack the authority" or "the gravitas" to express your thoughts or feelings here! :) Say what you think and be proud! :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby wpt » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:16 am

which to crack first?

Talisker 1975, 25yo OB
Ardbeg 1977 OB
wpt

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:17 am

Hello All,
Thank you Admiral,
I don't think I have been all that shy about expressing my opinions here. Just poking some fun at myself.
Ed
Last edited by Ed on Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:24 am

Now, Ed, let us do that.:wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:36 am

Since "regardless" is what you mean--or perhaps "irrespective"--why would you want to negate it? :?

See my reply in the Mr. Picky thread. Boy, did I have fun this morning!
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:12 pm

Admiral wrote:For the record, I'm happy to state that I have yet to taste any blend that I thought was superior to the vatted malts I've tried.

At the LCBO, there aren't many vatted malts around, and not many that are highly priced, so I haven't had much to choose from. However I'm trying to place a vatted malt that is better than JW Blue, and I can't. The best vatted I've tried is the Eluthera (sp?) and while it was OK, it didn't set bells off. JW Blue is a well crafted dram, the more I tried it, the more I found to appretiate. It's not a fair comparison though, as the Eluthera is less than half the cost of the JW Blue.

There are no blends in Eluthera's price range at the LCBO that I've tried.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:30 pm

Frodo,

JW Blue is a blend - did you mean JW Green? (which is a vatted malt) or is it that JW Blue is your favourite blend and you're using this as the benchmark against which to compare vatted malts?

Do you have access to any of the following?

JW Green
Famous Grouse Vintage Malt (1987, 1989 , etc, etc)
Six Isles
Jon Mark & Robbo range?

These are all reasonably priced vatted malts with enough on the nose and palate to recommend them.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:48 pm

Admiral, Frodo was simply stating that, contrary to your experience, he has tasted a blend (JW Blue) that was superior to vatted malts he had tried..
Deactivated Member

Postby robs42 » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:55 pm

A bit more info on vatted malts for you Frodo:

The LMR Smooth Sweeter One is actually a blend (with the only malt being Bunnahabhain). The others are vattings, but having tried them I would rate them slightly below 'nothing special'.

Compass Box also produce Juveniles and the Peat Monster as vatted malts, with Hedonism as a very palatable vatted grain.

The Poit Dhubh Unchilfiltered 21yo is a not inexpensive, but highly reccomendbable vatting. Also, Auld Reekie, a 12yo 'Islay Malt Scotch Whisky' which is quite cheap with a fair amount of peat smoke to it.

Robby
robs42

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:24 pm

Yesterday I picked up a Bruichladdich 10 yo at my local wine monopoly. Haven't tried it yet but did put my nose into it. Very different from the other Islay whiskies, but that was to be expected anyway. Looking forward to a couple of drams later this evening!
I was back at the wine monopoly today as well to pick up an Ardbeg Uigeadail - in fact one of the 5 remaining bottles in Norway! It hadn't arrived yet so I once more exposed my weak "ought-to-wait-character" and bought the Dun Bheagan Caol Ila CS. So, like it's wrong to comfort oneself when waiting for a good Islay?
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Tom » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:29 pm

Hi Mr Fjeld,
The Uigadaele is a great whisky, for some (most actually) a bit too strong even, but once you get the hang of it one to love from start to finish.
What Caol ila is it you got? age, finish?
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:11 pm

My latest gift (yes some one gave me a bottle of scotch!) is a bottle of 21 SAS (Special Air Service) Regiment (Artisits) 'Aged 12 Years Single Speyside Malt Scotch Whisky'.

I'd tell you how it tastes but then I'd have to........ 8)

I've not opened it yet but will let you know.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:24 pm

Tom wrote:Hi Mr Fjeld,
The Uigadaele is a great whisky, for some (most actually) a bit too strong even, but once you get the hang of it one to love from start to finish.
What Caol ila is it you got? age, finish?

Yes, I'm really looking forward to the Uigeadail - however, the plan is to discover all of the Islay 10 or 12 year olds and then some of the more similar ones from other "regions" before I try the more sherry flavoured specials like the Uigeadail. I might buy a drink of it at my local bar though but the bottle will remain closed for a while - hopefully!

The Caol Ila is the Dun Bheagan one: "Caol Ila Dun Bheagan Vintage Bottling 11 Years Old Cask Strenght" . I read a very favourable test in a norwegian paper (a very serious one that is) .
Judging from the colour of the Caol Ila I'd say it must hav been matured in bourbon casks. It's almost greenish in colour!
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:06 am

robs42 wrote:The LMR Smooth Sweeter One is actually a blend (with the only malt being Bunnahabhain). The others are vattings, but having tried them I would rate them slightly below 'nothing special'.

The Poit Dhubh Unchilfiltered 21yo is a not inexpensive, but highly reccomendbable vatting. Also, Auld Reekie, a 12yo 'Islay Malt Scotch Whisky' which is quite cheap with a fair amount of peat smoke to it.

Robby

Yeah, I've had the Smooth Sweeter One and the Peaty Smoky One. Didn't really like either of them. At their price point I would prefer JW Black, or (maybe) Ballantines 12yr.The LCBO has the Poit Dhubh 12 yr, although at C$60 it competes with Talisker or Dalwinnie. I've never tried the PD, but I haven't heard much about it.

One small point. I was told by someone from Duncan Taylor that Auld Reekie 12 yr is in fact Caol Ila. :D Happy me who got to try it. :D :D .

Admiral:
The LCBO tasting tower has the Six Isles available for tasting, so I'll try it this thurday. Thanks for the recommendation. Never had the JW Green, but the tasting tower will have it soon.

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:14 am

Most recent whisky purchase: 10yr old Clynelish (Hedges & Butler). I couldn't get over what a steal this bottling was for only C$50. Wow!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:38 am

Hi Frodo - you have raised my curiosity - can you tell me (us) more about the LCBO's Tasting Tower? I will be in Toronto again in a couple of weeks. Is it only at certain locations - and at certain times?

Also - I found the Six Isles in Saskatoon (of all places) for approx. $55 Cdn. Pleasant and coastal enough - but nothing stood out. Maybe I'll have to pour a dram now that I'm thinking about it.

And - any comments on the 10 yr old Clynelish? Comparisons to the 14 yr old OB?

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:15 am

I had a Compass Box Peat Monster, Lagavulin 16yo and Lagavulin 12yo CS (2002).

The Compass Box Monster isn't disappointing for the price but certainly wasn't as peaty or smoky as I had been anticipating. Cao Ila was very noticeable and reminded me more of a Caol Ila Signatory 1990 than the 18yo OB I recently had. I could not tell how much Ardmore has influenced the taste since I have not had one.

The Monster was a little sharp on the tongue and light compared to Laga 16 and 12yo CS. Compass Box Peat Monster certainly is not a monster compared to Lagavulin but still nice with a finish that lingers of peat and delicate smoke.

I'l keep the second bottle as a collectors item... very nice label 8)
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Frodo » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:29 am

WestVanDave wrote:Hi Frodo - you have raised my curiosity - can you tell me (us) more about the LCBO's Tasting Tower? I will be in Toronto again in a couple of weeks. Is it only at certain locations - and at certain times?

And - any comments on the 10 yr old Clynelish? Comparisons to the 14 yr old OB?

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave:

1) The tasting tower is only at one location - the LCBO at Yonge & Summerhill. Take the subway to Summerhill station, walk to Yonge st., and walk south half a block. If you've walked under the bridge, you've gone too far. Feel free to ask anyone on the street where the nearest liquor store is - they'll have no problems pointing it out.

Tasting Tower is open Monday-Saturday 12-8 and Sunday 12-5. You're only allowed two samples, and you have to pay a pro-rated fee based on the cost of the bottle. Pours are 1/4 ounce for spirits, and 2 ounces for wine. After Robbie Burns day, Scotch selection will go down to 10-15 bottles (25 right now).

2)10yr old Clynelish (Hedges & Butler): Smokey, naturally sweet, with a little bit of...something. Perhaps it's that mustard thing others talk about, except it's hidden under that weird off-dry South African sherry. In this case the components do mesh IMHO.

This is the only expression of Clynelish that I've had, so I can't compare it to the 14yr OB. However, Harry can so I'm hoping he can fill you in. If you want to pick up some, I can probably coordinate with you, and get the stores that have stocks to hold it for 24hrs or so. Problem is that there is only the tail end of a limited shipment that was brought in about 15 months ago. About 15-18 bottles left according to the LCBO on-line inventory.

There is another store (not near the subway, but on a bus line) where most of the delist items that don't sell end up. If this place interests you, or you'd like some help tracking something down, feel free to leave a PM.

Other items still on sale at the Yonge & Summerhill location: 10yr Imperial (Gordon & McPhail) $80 down to $70. 13yr Dufftown finished in rum casks (OMC) $115 down from $145 (I think), 21yr Jura OB $175 down to $150. At the delist store there's probably more, such as 12yr Mannochmore (Provenance) $100 down to $80. Feel free to check out the Limited Time Offers on the LCBO website.

Hope some of this helps.
Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:58 am

Replaced the old speyside with a new Dun Bheagan Islay Malt 8Y.
Also bought the Allt-A-Bhainne 28Y Refill Sherry from Dun Bheagan yesterday.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:54 pm

If you check my previous posts using the search function you should find my old Clynelish posts.

From memory the 10yo by Hedges&Butler is a bit lighter and has more sherry than the 14yo OB. The 14yo is smokier, fuller bodied. Both a very good expressions of Clynelish and sufficiently different to warrant trying and having both. On separate occasions doing head to head comparisons I preferred one or the other but usually I preferred the 14yo since it is a fuller tasting dram.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ed » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:10 am

Hello All,
Recently I picked up the Clynelish 14 yr. after reading the thread on it. I have yet to open it. At the same time I got the Highland Park 12 yr. It is a little odd that I have been buying so many highland single malts. I love everything I have tried of the Islay single malts, but that is only two expressions. Laphroaig 10 yr and Ardbeg 10 yr. They are soooo good. I haven't disliked any of the highland malts I have bought, not by a long shot. They are all good to very good yet none of them have impressed me the way that the Islays have. I think my favorite so far is the Glenmorangie 10 yr. I will have to try the sherry finish etc. I guess this is the age of exploration now. Later I will settle down and get to know my favorites better.
I bought a couple of Nikka vatted malts too. One , Pure Malt Black was to replace a nearly empty bottle. I love that one. The other Pure Malt White 43% is a first time purchase. Jim Murray's Bible 2004 has notes for two batches one he rated 92 the other 91. He said, "massive Islay style peat". I bought a different batch. I had one or two drams then followed it with Laphroaig 10 yr. and I must say that it held up to the comparison very well.
On my wish list are Carol Ila 12 yr. or maybe the CS. Also, I want to get the Nikka All Malt which has the virtue of being very cheap with an 86 from Jim Murray. He wrote a long detailed note on it in which he says it is Speyside in style. I haven't had any Speyside expressions as of yet.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:35 am

On the way home from a night out........Caol Ila 12. I think this is my second bottle however I opened this one. Much like the Lagavulin CS however it's a little lighter which is not surprising considering the Lagavulin is CS. Either way it's an excellent dram.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby islayjunkie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:46 am

I purchased a Bowmore 12yo 1989 (Murray McDavid) Bourbon Barrel. This is my favorite Bowmore to date and cheap too at $40 USD.

There is no FWP however there is a faint floral note that could result in FWP if it were exaggerated. The bottle of Carol Ila 18yo I recently drank had this note but more pronounced. I may not have even noticed it in the Carol Ila if it weren't for a horrible bottle of Bowmore Legend that reeked of FWP.

Anyway, this Bowmore is a smooth medium to full bodied oily whisky with a very peaty nose that fills the room. There is a hint of smoke and very faint background floral notes (the good kind). Salt and sweet balance each other beautifully. Clean long lingering finish... ocean air. Reminds me of the Signatory Carol Ila 1990 I had a couple months ago.

Did you know that Bowmore is owned by the Japanese distilling giant Suntory :shock:
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Recent buys

Postby posterboy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:23 pm

I just picked up two items:

Springbank 32 -- Springbank is selling this directly. Price was 180 GBP, plus shipping, which in total is far below the normal price for a Springbank of this age (at least in the US). I should have it next week.

Bruichladdich 20 first edition -- This is very difficult to find, and I fell in love with it after a recent tasting. The last bottle to go on eBay went for 150GBP (!!!!!!!). I just picked one up for 62GBP, plus shipping.
posterboy

Recent buys

Postby posterboy » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:23 pm

I just picked up two items:

Springbank 32 -- Springbank is selling this directly. Price was 180 GBP, plus shipping, which in total is far below the normal price for a Springbank of this age (at least in the US). I should have it next week.

Bruichladdich 20 first edition -- This is very difficult to find, and I fell in love with it after a recent tasting. The last bottle to go on eBay went for 150GBP (!!!!!!!). I just picked one up for 62GBP, plus shipping.
posterboy

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:22 pm

Is this "Carol Ila" a Christmas release?

(Bad Mr. Picky, get back in your hole...)
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:00 pm

My latest bottle is a Rosebank 12 yrs. Bottled by Aberdeen destillers (A Blackadder release that is...) It's a Single Cask and it's distilled in february 1991. No chillfiltration and no colouring.

I bought one to my mother as well, for her birthday. :)
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Ed » Fri Feb 11, 2005 5:39 am

Hello All,
I find I have made a mistake. I said that I hadn't tried any Speyside expressions, but that is not true. I have had The Macallan 12 yr Cardhu 12 yr. single malt and the Glenlivet 12 yr. I just didn't know they were Speyside. I was thinking of them as Highland. I don't remember seeing the word Speyside on any of the labels. I will go back and look.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Admiral » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:02 am

Without wanting to re-open the debate on regions, not all whiskies on Speyside would make a point of stating that they are on Speyside.

Since the Speyside region is a sub-category of the Highlands, some of the Speyside distilleries may simply choose to refer to themselves as a Highland malt.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:14 am

I did think that odd, Ed, since (according to Jackson) more than half of Scottish distilleries are Speysiders. Of course, they are also in the Highlands...but let's not start that business again.

I had a spirited argument with someone once about whether Dalwhinnie is a Speysider. It is not usually considered such, and I argued that side. But the distillery lies close to the top of the Spey watershed, and it's hard to tell from the Ordnance Survey Travelmaster just which way the water falls from there. Maybe it depends on which way the wind is blowing. If anyone has the more detailed Landranger or Explorer maps, he might perhaps enlighten us.
Deactivated Member

Postby Tyson » Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:56 am

Recenty purchased:

Scotch
Mac 12 new label.
Mac 18 - 1986

Bourbon
Woodford Reserve
Bakers
Jim Bean Black Label
Jefferson Reserve 15
Ancient Age
Makers Mark
Eagle Rare 10
Evan Williams 7

I've been on a bourbon kick lately, as I've got a full stock of scotch and can't seem to drink it fast enough!
Tyson

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder