Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Online prices

General chat and talk about whisky.

Online prices

Postby Alik » Sat May 18, 2013 8:05 am

Hello,
I was doing a price survey on Whiskybase for a Port Ellen OB 9th release 2009.
By comparing the different retailers i noticed there is a HUGE price difference between them (sometimes 100%..this occurs with a lot of prestigious OB's from closed distilleries)
Can someone explain me why there is such a big difference ?.. does a "fake" market exist online (that is with 'respected' official retailers.. not Ebay)... if yes,how can you detect that ?
http://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies.php? ... kyid=10610
Alik

Re: Online prices

Postby Ganga » Mon May 20, 2013 3:05 am

It is presumed that the retailers have sufficient knowledge that it is genuine. Whereas, with ebay you are really dealing with individuals Also, retailers are not working with a deadline. IE, sell by May 25th.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Online prices

Postby pkt77242 » Mon May 20, 2013 3:16 am

Alik wrote:Hello,
I was doing a price survey on Whiskybase for a Port Ellen OB 9th release 2009.
By comparing the different retailers i noticed there is a HUGE price difference between them (sometimes 100%..this occurs with a lot of prestigious OB's from closed distilleries)
Can someone explain me why there is such a big difference ?.. does a "fake" market exist online (that is with 'respected' official retailers.. not Ebay)... if yes,how can you detect that ?
http://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies.php? ... kyid=10610

The difference in prices can be caused by many different things, such as how much did they pay for it, how much stock do they have, and if they just got it back in stock how much did they sell the last one/batch for. Generally a respected retailer will not be selling fake and as far as I know it is almost impossible to tell on an online purchase. A place like The Whisky Exchange, Royal Mile Whiskies, etc generally would not want to risk their reputation by selling a fake as they have too much to lose.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder