Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

laphroaig cairdeas 2013

General chat and talk about whisky.

laphroaig cairdeas 2013

Postby moyboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:12 am

I walky feel Laphroaig have dropped the ball on this one....

I am a FOL (which I know means nothing in the grand scheme if things) as in sure mist if us are.... The main reason I like this is I get emails from them about the current year's cairdeas release.

Usually there is no dramas..... I get the email I log on the site and I buy my 1 or 2 bottles and life is full if love for another 12 months!! But not this year..... I feel no love :( I received the email announcing this year's release and as soon as I got on the site not 30 seconds after getting the email, they are sold out? What the hell is this?

This is obviously great news for Laphroaig but its a kick in the teeth to the thousand of FOL that get an email saying you can get up to 3 bottles only to find you can't have any?

Did Laphroaig even look at there online store before sending the email? You would think they would use there friends of Laphroaig membership numbers to gauge how many bottles to release and judging by the huge number of negitive comments left in the 2013 cairdeas review select I'd say this wasn't the case...

Usually I would be sniffing around the website for a month or so waiting for the release but this year my work has kept me in remote areas of Australia with limited time and limited net and I trusted Laphroaig to be professional enough to to send out the email announcement after the stock is already gone??

Very disappointed and **RANT OVER** haha
moyboy

Re: laphroaig cairdeas 2013

Postby moyboy » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:19 am

Sorry about the spelling.. :oops: . I'm on my iPhone ad I can't seem to find an edit post tab?? Lol
moyboy

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:18 am

Buying rare whisky can be like fishing, some of the good ones simply get away. There will be other rivers and other fish....
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:05 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:Buying rare whisky can be like fishing, some of the good ones simply get away. There will be other rivers and other fish....

I take it you got a bottle Then ?
There are a LOT of Unhappy FOL's over on the Laphroaig site (in the comments under the cairdeas bottling) , maybe given how much they brag how many members they have of the FOL they should keep bottlings like this to one per member instead of giving the speculators freedom to pilage ?
I was very lucky that it was released on a Friday and managed to get a Bottle (yes i bought just the one....) if it had been earlier in the week i probably would not have got one as i wouldn't have been able to get on the Internet till after 5pm (luckily we finish at 1.30pm on a Friday ) .
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby richard » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:38 pm

any on the auctions sites as yet :lol:
i see somebody has put the macallan coronation bottles straight away sold for £ 350
they want £999 and they are offering worlwide postage they might get stopped or poured away i shall wait and see
it could be interesting the buyer getting his money back if the whisky doesnt turn up :P

richard
richard
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:36 am

I did as I was at the distillery on Friday while at the festival. Seems I lucky this time!
However, I have felt I've been let down as a customer by more than one distillery from which I've made regular purchases in the past. It's right to express dissatisfaction, but I've learned to move on too.
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 am

Is this that limited?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:02 am

Is this that good?
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby TheEngineer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:18 am

On this site, it states that they used 68 port pipes.

http://smellthecork.blogspot.com/2013/0 ... -2013.html

If tha tis the case and each port pipe holds approximately 700 bottles, then we are talking about 47,000 of Cairdeas. How rare is that exactly? How did the UK sell out so quickly? Did they ship a lot of this to other markets? Frankly, I can still find them on the shelf in the US.

BTW, it is a very very good dram!
TheEngineer

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:44 am

60K bottles wouldn't surprise me worldwide. US is usually 6 mos behind UK on these. Think Oct/Nov is the right time frame here.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby TheEngineer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:03 pm

Ganga, They have already arrived in the US (for about a month now I think). I know that K&L sold out of them almost immediately and they had something like 300 bottles.
TheEngineer

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:15 am

TheEngineer wrote:Ganga, They have already arrived in the US (for about a month now I think). I know that K&L sold out of them almost immediately and they had something like 300 bottles.

Still 2012 here.

K&L pimps to tens of thousands in their email. Wouldn't take long for that allotment to disappear.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:36 am

It's good now that Laphroaig have said future FOL bottles will be limited to 1 per member . Hopefully it will stop the flood of bottles onto E-bay / SWA..... perhaps not...... There have been a rediculous amount on SWA (not just Laphroaigs) .

We were over on Islay for the last two weeks of August . We managed to pick up both the Lagavulin and Caol Ila Feis Iles at the Distilleries . We also heard some amazing stories from the distillery workers at what the Bottle Chasers get up to during the Feis Ile and how there is really nothing that can be done to hamper them . Ardbeg released the Ardbog in small batches (30 bottles) every morning , on the first morning (Saturday) they sold the first one at 9am , at 9.20 someone came in and said your bottling is on E-bay.de already - photo took on the rocks at the distillery !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Dram Stoker » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:30 am

I have three extra bottles, make me an offer on one or all. :smoke:
Dram Stoker

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder