Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

for the experienced...........

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: for the experienced...........

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 am

I'm not sure what you're asking.
whiskgeek
Silver Member

Postby AdamMY » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:54 am

I don't quite consider myself experienced, but if you feel you've had some of the best, I think you should settle into a comfort zone, what can you easily afford that you like to drink, and stick with that. Maybe saving a bit extra to put towards new offerings that you wouldn't mind trying.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:47 am

Japan! 8)
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 am

Ah. Yes, that's an interesting question.

My dad is closing in on 1000, but he's concentrating so much on trying new ones, I feel like he's giving up on Scotch. We go out, and he says "I've had all these Scotches... but there's a bourbon I haven't had. I'll have that." And I want to say "well, you've had all these before. Isn't there one you like?"

I find a certain amount of thrill in trying something new, that turns out to be very good. So I have to keep trying new ones, and of course they're not always very good. But after a while, either I get a string of not-so-good ones, or my wallet is getting empty, so I have to swing back to the familiar (and affordable) whiskies.

The good whiskies have ruined bad whiskies for me. I can't drink Fiddich 12 neat. But are the good ones ruining the mediocre ones for me? Not really. I'm still happy with a glass of Doublewood. Wait, maybe that's not mediocre... How about this - my tastes are refined enough that I know what not to waste my time with. :D

I think it all depends on your outlook. If you're the type of person who can be happy with what's in your hand, then you're in good shape. If you've got a glass of Uigeadail, and all you can think about is that '72 Ardbeg you once had, you may have a problem.
whiskgeek
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder