Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

for the experienced...........

General chat and talk about whisky.

for the experienced...........

Postby Ganga » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:41 am

If you've had some of the truly exceptional whiskies (and truly hideous), where do you go?
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: for the experienced...........

Postby whiskgeek » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:03 am

I'm not sure what you're asking.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:06 am

I've had the opportunity to have some of the Legendary bottles out there including a flight of the Provenances (Asian, European and US). In some ways, I kind of have a malaise about whisky. If you've been to the top, where do you go now?
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby AdamMY » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:54 am

I don't quite consider myself experienced, but if you feel you've had some of the best, I think you should settle into a comfort zone, what can you easily afford that you like to drink, and stick with that. Maybe saving a bit extra to put towards new offerings that you wouldn't mind trying.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:47 am

Japan! 8)
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:32 am

dramtastic wrote:Japan! 8)

Oddly I was going to say Bourbon.
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:04 am

dramtastic wrote:Japan! 8)
Isn't that what my twin is for? :smoke: I really was pushing towards people thinking about where to go once you have gained a lot of experience. Pushing boundaries to different whiskies is a good place to go. And this should not just be for me but all of those that have gone past 1000 whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskgeek » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 am

Ah. Yes, that's an interesting question.

My dad is closing in on 1000, but he's concentrating so much on trying new ones, I feel like he's giving up on Scotch. We go out, and he says "I've had all these Scotches... but there's a bourbon I haven't had. I'll have that." And I want to say "well, you've had all these before. Isn't there one you like?"

I find a certain amount of thrill in trying something new, that turns out to be very good. So I have to keep trying new ones, and of course they're not always very good. But after a while, either I get a string of not-so-good ones, or my wallet is getting empty, so I have to swing back to the familiar (and affordable) whiskies.

The good whiskies have ruined bad whiskies for me. I can't drink Fiddich 12 neat. But are the good ones ruining the mediocre ones for me? Not really. I'm still happy with a glass of Doublewood. Wait, maybe that's not mediocre... How about this - my tastes are refined enough that I know what not to waste my time with. :D

I think it all depends on your outlook. If you're the type of person who can be happy with what's in your hand, then you're in good shape. If you've got a glass of Uigeadail, and all you can think about is that '72 Ardbeg you once had, you may have a problem.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:50 pm

whiskgeek wrote:I think it all depends on your outlook. If you're the type of person who can be happy with what's in your hand, then you're in good shape. If you've got a glass of Uigeadail, and all you can think about is that '72 Ardbeg you once had, you may have a problem.

Very good observation. :thumbsup:

I keep some standards around. I've found that even standard bottles change some with time. That is, Macallan 12 is very different today than when I first started.

I picked this topic as much for me as for those that have been around long enough to become jaded. Hopefully, this provides some insights to myself and others to judge the glass in front of us against what is available today rather than against those that we've had in the past.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder