Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What are you drinking now?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 06, 2005 2:25 am

I just had a little glass of Bruichladdich Infinity brought over by a friend. It's very good indeed! It's nice to instantly recognise the distillery character even though I'm used to the standard 10 and this is an all sherry affair at cask strength. I think I'm starting to appreciate sherry matured whisky.
Too bad it isn't sold in Norway :cry:

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Sat May 07, 2005 5:18 am

ncassidy wrote:Tonight I had a small glass of my new Crown Royal Limited Edition...
I'm still not sure if I like this Limited Edition CR, I'm on the third glass. First impressions are good... the main sweet/toffee/oily flavors of the regular stuff are less dominant and it adds a really warm, spicy finish and a sherry note in there somewhere. The nose has a really complex fruit odor, reminds me of fruit cake.

I tried the Limited Edition a couple of times and was not moved. I wouldn't refuse a dram if offered, and is probably worth the extra C$10/bottle over the standard stuff. I'm not sure why, but I just wouldn't plunk down the money for it.

If I had to buy Crown Royal, it would be between the regular stuffat C$28, and the Reserve at C$52. Just my take on the stuff. Let us know what you thought after a few drams...

Frodo
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Sat May 07, 2005 2:17 pm

Returned to my bottle of Cradle Mountain Double Malt, which is Australian malt from Cradle Mountain vatted with Springbank.

Whilst the nose was spectacular, the palate was too hot and thin, although I suspect it fared poorly given that I was drinking it two minutes after finishing some spicy thai curries.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun May 08, 2005 2:08 am

Just opened the bottle of Royal Lochnagar 12YO I picked up a couple of days ago. It's the one discussed in the "last whisky purchase" thread, and tasting notes are posted there.

In short...damn, this is good stuff! Peat lovers won't go for it, except as a change of pace...but I'm ready to start looking for another bottle or two to stockpile...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sun May 08, 2005 6:40 am

Taking a course of heavy-duty antibiotics to fight-off an abscessed tooth and not being able to drink for a fortnight, something different, maybe a little special. My first taste of the Glenfaclas 105, and i must say that i am awestruck. What a buzzy big flavour-bomb like nothing i've ever experienced. Can't get over how it coats the mouth and makes it water and the salty after too. No water added and i think i won't either. How old is this stuff? What type of barrels was it matured in?
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 08, 2005 6:52 am

After several days without a dram, Talisker cs. Just one, have to make it last.

An anagram of "Talisker" is "star-like". 8)
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Sun May 08, 2005 6:41 pm

Just finished my bottle of Edradour 10. Strange enough, the last two drams reconciled me completely with this fluctuating companion of mine. The sherry was all pleasant all the way down. No perfume, no soap at all. Great dram!
I’m pondering over this question for quite a few minutes by now: “Do bottles have an awareness of the owner’s attitude toward it? Do they possibly react to their prepossessions, their narrowmindedness, their arrogance?”
Well, profound tasting is about the wide wide world of psychology as well, I guess. (sigh!)
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Sun May 08, 2005 7:50 pm

I just finished off the last (part) dram of a bottle of Lagavulin 12yo CS. A great bottle! Now I'm enjoying some Bruichladdich Fullstrength '89 13yo.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun May 08, 2005 10:01 pm

bernstein wrote:Just finished my bottle of Edradour 10. Strange enough, the last two drams reconciled me completely with this fluctuating companion of mine. The sherry was all pleasant all the way down. No perfume, no soap at all. Great dram!
I’m pondering over this question for quite a few minutes by now: “Do bottles have an awareness of the owner’s attitude toward it? Do they possibly react to their prepossessions, their narrowmindedness, their arrogance?”
Well, profound tasting is about the wide wide world of psychology as well, I guess. (sigh!)

You may be on to something there, mein fruend! This may sound a little flaky (and I haven't even had a dram yet today), but scientists have found that we give off positive vibrations when we feel good or sympathetic toward someone. Since whisky is an organic substance, might it be possible that the molecules react to our positive vibrations and thus affect the taste. Think about it...have you been in a bad mood when having a dram and noticed that it didn't taste as good as usual? Conversely, Bernstein, if you were in a good mood when you finished the Edradour 10 (which I share your views on)...the reaction might have helped with your positive opinion now.

Prost!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon May 09, 2005 4:36 am

G&M Cask Bruichladdich, the penultimate dram in the bottle. Glad I put another bottle of it aside. And there may be another bottle of it still at the liquor store....

Alongside the 'Laddie is a glass of Harpoon IPA, my everyday beer these days. I always suffer a crisis when the seasonal Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale runs out. I used to get through it with the next Sierra Nevada seasonal, Bigfoot, but it's quite a strong beer, and since I've gotten fairly serious about malts, I haven't enjoyed it as much. Not enough dilution value! I have a half case each of this year's and last year's in the basement. I should get at it while it's still unseasonably cold here--it's certainly not a warm weather beer.

An anagram of Bruichladdich is "church bid laid". "Church did bail"? "Bach: I did lurch"? "U bad rich child"? Time to pour that last dram.
Deactivated Member

Postby Bullie » Mon May 09, 2005 12:58 pm

Just opened my bottle of Ardbeg Ten, and sitting here enjoying a dram. :D
Velvet smoke is the shortest description I find for it. Salty... To short finish though. But how they can make such a smooth whisky in just ten years is a mystery...
:shock:
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue May 10, 2005 4:35 am

scientists have found that we give off positive vibrations when we feel good or sympathetic toward someone. Since whisky is an organic substance, might it be possible that the molecules react to our positive vibrations

Wasn't that the idea behind Ghostbusters 2?? :D
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 11, 2005 3:40 am

Earlier this evening, after a steak dinner, I opened the long-anticipated Macallan 18 ("Youngest whisky distilled in 1985"). And my first impression is...this is the most overrated dram in the world. Well, that's not fair; it's only a first impression, and it comes, probably, after a little too much anticipation. It has a distinctive and complex palate, right enough, but I'm not even sure I like it much. Like a room full of leather chairs that were all occupied by sweaty cigar smokers last night. Well, the reputation is such that I will spend some time exploring it, and give it every opportunity to win me over. (And never mind the obligatory "Send it to me!" posts! :P )

Washed it down (slowly) with a Rogue Imperial IPA...holy crap, what a beer. Rather expensive at $13 for a 750ml bottle, but given that it's nearly as strong as your average wine, maybe that's not too out of line. One of these is good for the evening. Nice faux stoneware stoppered bottle, too...wonder how much of the $13 went for that?

And now I've opened a Balvenie 15 Single Barrel. I've always liked this--it's Balvenie grown up; mature, filled-out, but still lean and in shape, the baby fat melted away. It might be my favorite Speysider. Half the price of the Macallan 18, too.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Thu May 12, 2005 3:55 pm

Right this moment, it is ten year old Eagle Rare 101 (50.5% abv) Nice pour. I like it better than the ten year old single barrel Eagle Rare that I have. I think that is 45% abv. The extra 5.5% makes a big difference in the taste and finish.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Ize » Fri May 13, 2005 8:12 am

I'm not drinking right now, but at the moment I do have next bottles opened:
Aberlour a'bunadh batch 10
Glenfarclas Vintage 1986 Fino Sherry
Laphroaig 10yo CS
Laphroaig Quarter Cask (First release?)
Ize
Silver Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri May 13, 2005 11:07 pm

Ardbeg 10

Enough said!!!
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby hpulley » Fri May 13, 2005 11:18 pm

Down the hatch goes the last dram of Macduff 12yo '89 CS by Cadenhead's. 'twas a good dram to the last drop I do say!

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Fri May 13, 2005 11:25 pm

Just finishing a small speyburn tasting, Speyburn 10, Speyburn 1974 Gordon and Macphails, Speyburn 21 and Speyburn 25
Its in those comparising tastings you get the real difference between them, the 21 was, is and will stay fantastic. there is an immense difference in complexity and quality.
Just another sign that you cant judge an entire range by only tasting the standard bottling.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sat May 14, 2005 4:51 pm

Just finished off my bottle of Highland Park 12.

They say, it has “rounded smoky, heather honey sweetness” – and I can very well relate to that. And yes, there is this “teasing, delicious finish”. I quite like it. I like it very much so indeed. It will really become one of my take-me-next-time-agains.

One question remains: Why do they risk to spoil the whole fun by having to add “farven justeret med E150” on their label? Oh, don’t bother to reply – a lot of you did it exhaustingly and clear enough over the last years!

And the last drop of this wonderful nectar just sighs in my glass: “Take me for what I am, not for what I pretend to be.”

I will.
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon May 16, 2005 1:38 am

Linkwood 14 Signatory Vintage 1989. I was very surprized by the quality of this bottling. Here's my notes:

Tasting notes:
Color: Sunlight orange
Nose: Orange zest, camphor, apple leaves, spearmint
Palate: Firm, nutty, tangy, sweetish, cleansing effect, very light smoke
Body: Very slick, but thick and coating
Finish: Medium, then grows stronger, with a trailing hint of apple butter and cider
Quote: I could nose this for days it is that full, maybe because it’s a fresh bottle. The palate falls off too quickly, but is pleasant enough for a change of style type of evening. I’ve got a feeling it may grow to be a favorite.
Score: 88

I'm liking the clean, no special finish type more all the time :)
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby Leonidych » Mon May 16, 2005 6:30 pm

HP Bicentennary. At the time I purchased and opened it, it was a complete disappointment: blank liquid at big value. After half-a-year on a shelf, opened, it has developed a strong and beautiful bouquet: elegant and vibrating nose, mellow palate and a spicy slow-motion-bomb finish. Ahh... 8)
Leonidych

Postby Ed » Tue May 17, 2005 4:34 pm

Hello All,
Laphroiag 10. Smoky sweet iodine. Mmmm~ Last of the bottle. Now I can open the 15 yr old.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 18, 2005 3:44 am

I think you'll like that 15, Ed, as long as you don't expect the power of the 10. I try not to repeat anecdotes, but I'm pretty sure I posted this one before you were here: My best memory of the 15 was the dram I had after touring the distillery. Iain Henderson, just days from retiring from Laphroaig, was doing business in the hospitality room, so the guide took me into his office, where I savored my dram while sitting in Mr Henderson's Big Leather Chair. It was about 11:00am, and I was musing that it just doesn't get any better, when I realized that I had to get over to Ardbeg post haste to make the tour time! Down the hatch.

I opened my MMcD Clynelish this evening--it seems a very nice dram, one I think will improve with a little air and repeated tasting. Nice legs. Followed with a lovely Balvenie 15.
Deactivated Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed May 18, 2005 1:52 pm

balblair 10YO. i havent finished notes yet but it seems like a nice clean whisky good for the summer and pretty light.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 19, 2005 2:46 am

Balvenie 15 is tasting quite splendid this evening, very orangey, almost like a Grand Marnier. Harpoon IPA, my everyday inoffensive-but-not-too-special beer, is going very well between drams, as well. Why do things just taste so good sometimes? Maybe it was the steak dinner earlier. Think I'll see if I can talk the cook into pouring some of the 15 over the steak next time. (Cooking tips, anyone?)
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu May 19, 2005 6:55 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:Balvenie 15 is tasting quite splendid this evening, very orangey, almost like a Grand Marnier.

Hi Mr TattieHeid!
I'm a little curious about that orangey taste as I don't seem to remember it. I did find a lot of honey and almond though.....
May I ask what cask number you have? Mine is 8435.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Admiral » Thu May 19, 2005 2:05 pm

That's a good point, Christian....the Balvenie 15 is a single barrel, so it will vary significantly from issue to issue.

The last one I had was somewhat dull in flavour, but I've had others that were great drams, so I know it can be a good whisky.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Tom » Fri May 20, 2005 5:33 pm

Glad to notice that there are other people that have tasted the 15 when its not as supreme as it should be. I have said it a few times around here (Belgium, not this forum) and nobody ever believed me. The one i have is also a litlle less impressive then usual although i must say the bottle is near empty now and it seems to have improved a great deal. Weird what some oxidation can do.
At any rate the 15 stays a good dram troughout the bottlings.
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri May 20, 2005 7:41 pm

Enjoying the Balvenie 15 again. I can't understand how it was possible to dislike this the first time I tried it. A lot of honey and almonds in this one but also some faint scents of citrus and apple/pear - almost like in the Bruichladdich 10yo.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby bernstein » Sat May 21, 2005 5:58 pm

Macallan 12 (sherry) - I think I'm beginning to get an idea of what 'toffee-notes' in whisky really mean...

mmmmh - and I think I like it! 8)!
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat May 21, 2005 11:23 pm

Right now I'm drinking Bowmore Surf which I'd rate as a decent ordinary whisky with typical Islay character. Nothing special and certainly no match for the Ardbeg Ten I just had.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Eirik » Sun May 22, 2005 12:56 am

lagavulin 16. no more comment on that one...! :wink:
Eirik

Postby Crispy Critter » Sun May 22, 2005 2:22 am

I've just finished a dram of Talisker 18. Very nice stuff. I have noticed that the pepperiness seems to have mellowed after the bottle has been opened for a while, but it is still lovely... and the bottle is almost empty now.

Next up, a nip of my George T. Stagg bourbon. Great for a beautiful evening on the front porch...
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 22, 2005 4:38 am

Mr Fjeld wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote:Balvenie 15 is tasting quite splendid this evening, very orangey, almost like a Grand Marnier.

Hi Mr TattieHeid!
I'm a little curious about that orangey taste as I don't seem to remember it. I did find a lot of honey and almond though.....
May I ask what cask number you have? Mine is 8435.

Skål!
Christian

I have #3991. My last one was #3995, quite probably from the same distillation. I've had a few odd ones here and there. I've yet to have a bad or even lackluster one, but I don't doubt such exist. The orange taste is a peculiar thing--it doesn't always strike me all that powerfully, but when it does, it's really amazing. I didn't really notice it that much in the first couple drams I had out of this bottle. It might be the result of a bit of oxidation, or it might be what I ate prior, or some such. It really does remind me of a dryish Grand Marnier flavor, although obviously not at the same level of intensity. It's what I really love about the 15, and if I had a bottle without it, I'd think it lackluster indeed.

And yes, the 15's will vary somewhat, but it's my impression that they are chosen with a specific profile in mind.
Deactivated Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sun May 22, 2005 5:59 am

I just polished off my last dram of Ardbeg 27yo OMC 1975 to celebrate 31 days of abstinence. Due to budget, health and some concerns about my love of fine single malts I decided it would be best to go cold turkey as a test.

The Ardbeg OMC is better then I remembered it. A smooth blend of honey, hay, malty organics (leaves and compost), peat and a hint of smoke. Finish is long and on the sweet side lingering of hay and horse manure (in a good way). Don't notice the sherry to much except in the nose.

I suppose I should have made an announcement about dropping out of these forums for a spell however just the thought of reading all these posts made it very hard to quit whisky after the first week. I also wasn't sure if I could keep my commitment.

Whisky really tastes much better now! Especially the nose. I think I deadened my taste buds and nose drinking so many cask strengths. The best part is it takes much less to get that kick ;)
islayjunkie
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder