Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What are you drinking now?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Frodo » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:39 am

Ed wrote: Followed that with Eagle Rare 101 10 year old. Good bourbon at a good price. I hear that it will be discontinued, so if you like it you should stock up.
Ed

Hi Ed:

Where did you hear this?
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Eagle Rare 101

Postby Ed » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:05 am

Hi Frodo,
Someone mentioned it over on StraightBourbon.com. I asked the same question you did and Ken Weber, who works at Buffalo Trace, confirmed it. He said that they would be focusing on their Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10 year old in the future.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:25 am

The last sips of my MMcD (2400?) 1990 Clynelish. Like several bottles I've finished lately (I've foresworn killing), it's tasting much better at the very end than it has through the whole bottle. It's even lost its awful buttered popcorn nose. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon? :? Usually we're worried about the last drams being saved too long and being oxidized. But I didn't let any of these bottles die a lingering death. (Oops, now I'm practicing euthanasia. No Michael Jackson jokes, now!)
Deactivated Member

Postby bernstein » Tue Jul 05, 2005 5:58 am

Mark wrote:That's the one...though I think the good Lutherans of Lake Woebegon would probably not be inclined to join in our taste for Scotch...I could be wrong, though.

Hi Mark, I'm a Lutheran myself - but probably not as good as folks in Lake Wobegon... :wink:

Mark wrote:...and Bernie, how come we're just now finding out about your time in Philly??? Penn or Temple?

"The owl of the night makes the eagle of the day." I was lucky enough to participate in an exchange programme between Temple and Hamburg University. Geez - nearly 20 years ago by now - my hair's turning grey... :?

I've been a Phillies fan ever since though - routed the Pirates last night! :D

Bernie
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:40 pm

Being in the other league, we don't see the Phillies that much, but when we do, one thing impresses me: Phillie fans are three times tougher than Boston fans. And that's saying something! If I were a player there, I'd want to take solace in a fine single-malt scotch each evening (obligatory on-topic insert).
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:54 pm

Nahhhh...our local idiots tend to take out their frustration by beating up cops (outside bars where single malts are sold -- keeping things on topic), and if you think Phillies fans are tough, you've never seen anything like crazed drunken Eagles fans. I could be wrong, but none of the European soccer stadiums actually had a courtroom on-site to handle drunk and disorderly cases...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:55 pm

bernstein wrote:

I've been a Phillies fan ever since though - routed the Pirates last night! :D

Bernie

I knew there was a reason I liked you, Bernie!
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:00 am

Mark, I meant Philadelphia fans generally. Ought to have said "Philly fans" rather than "Phillie fans". But geez, they're still trying to murder Francona years after he's gone, and he has the ring. And as a matter of fact, I was in Philadelphia a couple years ago on the eve of one of the Eagles' playoff meltdowns...glad I got out of town the next day, before gametime.

Just now I am sipping a Bruichladdich Links Augusta, which I bought on a perverse impulse after someone here said it was soapy a while back. I think I have bubbles coming out of my ears. On first dram, a very unpleasant 'Laddie, not at all like the Old Course one previously enjoyed. Should have listened...maybe it will mellow out after being open for a while. Maybe a drop of water will help it. Maybe I'll go wash my mouth out with beer.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:01 am

Maybe I'll go wash my mouth out with beer.

Sounds like a good plan.

May I suggest an experiment? Try leaving a pour to sit for a half and hour or so before drinking it. I have read in other posts that unpleasant tastes sometimes clear up when left to air out a bit. Of course, it will depend on what is causing the soapy taste. It might get worse for all I know.

I have had some good experiences with this, mostly with pours that had too strong an alcohol edge to the nose. Pour, sniff, cough! cough! A few minutes later and it is; Sniff, Hmm, is that orange blossom behind the vanilla? Well, I am exaggerating a little but you get the idea.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:15 am

A whole beer and an hour later, and it's still with me. My mouth hasn't tasted like this since I called my mother a....
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:20 am

Well, you can always wash your dishes with it. Don't use it on your whisky glasses though.
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 3:21 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Mark, I meant Philadelphia fans generally. Ought to have said "Philly fans" rather than "Phillie fans". But geez, they're still trying to murder Francona years after he's gone, and he has the ring. And as a matter of fact, I was in Philadelphia a couple years ago on the eve of one of the Eagles' playoff meltdowns...glad I got out of town the next day, before gametime.

Just now I am sipping a Bruichladdich Links Augusta, which I bought on a perverse impulse after someone here said it was soapy a while back. I think I have bubbles coming out of my ears. On first dram, a very unpleasant 'Laddie, not at all like the Old Course one previously enjoyed. Should have listened...maybe it will mellow out after being open for a while. Maybe a drop of water will help it. Maybe I'll go wash my mouth out with beer.

If "Terry the Rat" had been able to get the ring "here", he'd be a hero. The argument could be made that the Red Sox won the Series last year in spite of Francona. That said, I share your feelings about getting out of town before an Eagles playoff game. Personally, I watch the games in the comfort of my own living room, where the view is better and the beer is colder!

I have a bottle of the Bruichladdich Augusta on the shelf in my office...primarily as part of my golf stuff I can't display anywhere at home. After your suggestions...I'll leave it on the shelf...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 08, 2005 5:48 pm

MGillespie wrote:If "Terry the Rat" had been able to get the ring "here", he'd be a hero. The argument could be made that the Red Sox won the Series last year in spite of Francona.

:roll: See what I mean? Let it go! It's not his fault that the Phillies were a really bad team then. (As if Red Sox fans are any better.... :oops: )

MGillespie wrote:I have a bottle of the Bruichladdich Augusta on the shelf in my office...primarily as part of my golf stuff I can't display anywhere at home. After your suggestions...I'll leave it on the shelf...

I'll let you know if it improves. As it is, I'm very much surprised--it's the first I've had from the new regime that wasn't at least pleasant. The Old Course was really good.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:09 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:
:roll: See what I mean? Let it go! It's not his fault that the Phillies were a really bad team then. (As if Red Sox fans are any better.... :oops: )

I'm kidding...I'm kidding!
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby andrewfenton » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:00 pm

A dram of Pulteney 12, which I haven't touched in a while. Interestingly, the coastal influence has re-emerged - it wasn't there at all in the first half of the bottle (which admittedly, I consumed in maybe two days after first opening it!).
andrewfenton
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:35 am

Bruichladdich 10. That's better! I bought this the other day, spurred by the free glass, even though I already have two of them. It's a nice glass. I wasn't going to open this until the Links was empty, but that might be a loooooong while yet.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:53 am

MrTattieHeid wrote: I wasn't going to open this until the Links was empty, but that might be a loooooong while yet.

Mr. T., just curious, 'cause The Links that special or drop-dead ordinary?
Was going to pick-up a bottle last week, opted for an old friend rather than a $100cdn mystery, and perhaps for the best as my taste-buds have been unsteady lately. After opening my last bottle of Arbeg 10, i lamented that i should've grabbed the Caol Ila 12 and now that i've got the Caol Ila 12 i'm thinking that i should've brought the Ardbeg 10. This last bottle of Caol Ila, however quite tasty, not as smokey as my previous bottle. Gone missing was that much desired long smokey dry finish, yet all of this may just be my taste-buds being off. I'm not all that disappointed though, this C.I. 12 is darn good whisky, just nosing it puts a smile on my face.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:36 am

I began with my Old Rip Van Winkle 15/107 (mmmmmmm), and then opened up my bottle of Connemara Cask Strength and had a pour.

The standard Connemara is a fine dram, but the CS is even better! It's hard to believe it's 60%. The nose seems like lemon grass, while on the palate there's a nice peat attack and a smooth, sweet finish. The CS's peat is a bit stronger than the standard version. In spite of the high proof, it doesn't burn at all.

Both the CCS and the ORVW are highly recommendable IMO.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

"Brown Zinfandel"

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Jul 09, 2005 6:04 am

Well, tried some 'brown zinfandel' tonight -- a 50:50 concoction of bourbon and water (I usually sip neat) to swill inocuously while finishing a book.
Some Bottled In Bond (100 proof) J.W. Dant first, then this spring's Geo. T. Stagg (131.8 proof), before enjoying a blast of lightly-watered Old Charter from an old 'half-pint' bottle.
Easy easy-drinking.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ed » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:56 am

Hello All,
Hello Tim,
I have seen J.W. Dant on the shelves but haven't bought it as I haven't heard anything about it. How is it?
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Ed » Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:03 am

Hello All,
Hello Crispy Critter,
I have to find some of the Old Rip Van Winkle 15/107 I have only had the Old Rip Van Winkle 10 90 proof and that is stellar!
Ed
Ed
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:51 am

Lord_Pfaffin wrote:
MrTattieHeid wrote: I wasn't going to open this until the Links was empty, but that might be a loooooong while yet.

Mr. T., just curious, 'cause The Links that special or drop-dead ordinary?

LP, see page 17 for my comments on the Links.
Deactivated Member

Postby islayjunkie » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:16 am

I haven't been drinking much whisky as of late so poured a thimble a Lagavulin 12yo CS (2002). I never thought I would say this but I was overpowered by peat. The sweet liquorice and salt are really nice but the peat was a bit much. To cut down on the peat I decided to mixed a 50/50 of Port Ellen 24yo (3rd release) and Laga. The PE is a lot drier.

The 2 taste spicier together than the PE alone. The Laga adds a nice peaty/nutty profile to the PE which is a tad nutty to begin with. Any subtle nuances of the PE like the citrus are lost however it lessened the sweetness of the Laga. Is it just me or does the Laga CS have a bitter sweet quality?

This is a great salty, oily, peppery, peaty dram with a semi dry liquorice finish. It's a bit unbalanced (to much Laga). 1/3 Laga to 2/3 PE in the future.
islayjunkie
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:24 am

Untill recently I felt the same way Islayjunkie! What I couldn't take was the liqourice though - which is strange really considering I used to love it!

I guess I'm getting used to it again but I prefer a peaty whisky which is better balanced - like the Ardbeg Ten. By the way, Laphroaig CS was the one that caused the trouble in the first place. Now I only drink it in very small portions.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:31 am

Hi Christian:
Ardbeg 10 is wonderfull, though i can't seem to declare it better than the Caol Ila 12 nor visa versa, although the finish on the C.I. is slightly better by my taste. If you get a chance to try them head to head as i have, let me know what you think please.
As for you problem with liquorice, shall i recommend a bottle of Zambuca (black), a rather tasty anise-liquorice flavored Italian Liquor to rekindle your liking. Zambuca goes well with coffee after dinner and has so much sugar that any thing close to several ounces is mind altering. I completely deny the charge that after consuming a whole bottle of the stuff, that i was running around naked baying at the moon. :wink:
After visiting the Tasting Tower looking for Frodo with no luck, i picked-up a Signatory bottling labelled "Vintage Islay" "Single Malt Scotch Whisky" ISLAY 5Years Old" at 40%abv. No mention of which distillery it came from but my guess would be Ardbeg as it has quite a bit of Ardbeg type qualities. The colour on a 1 to 10 scale would barely be a 1. The nose sweet pungent peatiness. newly tanned leather, cheese and phenals. The texture is very light and smooth. The palate is slightly sweeter than medium with typical Ardbeg character with nice mild smokiness, slight saltiness and very light body. The finish is light honeyed smokey with some ash, medium dry and long. Overall score 88, would higher if they hadn't watered it down to 40%abv..
I have emailed Signatory for more info, so wait and see if i am right about it being an Ardbeg. At $52cdn, for now i'll just hafta call it a tasty bargain.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:44 am

LP, I think that's a Lagavulin, or at least it has been so conjectured. There is a cask strength model which I've remarked upon around here several times, it being the one dram I've ever had that literally left me speechless. (Devoted Tattie Heid followers are no doubt sick of this story. Fortunately there are very few of them.) Actually, it wasn't even a dram, just a shop sample, and there wasn't any for sale. I can get the 40% here and have so far refrained, but your comments have my curiosity piqued. And hey, the shop's website says I can get it for US$19! Can't go wrong.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:55 am

Mr.T, ya know now that you've mentoined it Laga 16 sans sherry, 11 years and colouring, could very well be. At $19us buy two, it's very drinkable :wink:
Anyroad i'm sure to find out sooner or later.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:00 am

Hi LP!
Lord_Pfaffin wrote:Hi Christian:
Ardbeg 10 is wonderfull, though i can't seem to declare it better than the Caol Ila 12 nor visa versa, although the finish on the C.I. is slightly better by my taste. If you get a chance to try them head to head as i have, let me know what you think please.

I have a confession to make (no, it's not about my alledged profane or vulgare English-see another thread) but I haven't tasted any Caol Ila :oops: I bought a Dun Bheagan 12yo which looks promising but I've read some of your other posts about CI OB's and I think I have to buy the 12yo after your recomendations. Or do you think I should go for the 18yo?
As for you problem with liquorice, shall i recommend a bottle of Zambuca (black), a rather tasty anise-liquorice flavored Italian Liquor to rekindle your liking. Zambuca goes well with coffee after dinner and has so much sugar that any thing close to several ounces is mind altering. I completely deny the charge that after consuming a whole bottle of the stuff, that i was running around naked baying at the moon. :wink:

Haha :D that's ?#%& funny! Maybe I should have a go at that too :shock:
After visiting the Tasting Tower looking for Frodo with no luck, i picked-up a Signatory bottling labelled "Vintage Islay" "Single Malt Scotch Whisky" ISLAY 5Years Old" at 40%abv. No mention of which distillery it came from but my guess would be Ardbeg as it has quite a bit of Ardbeg type qualities. The colour on a 1 to 10 scale would barely be a 1. The nose sweet pungent peatiness. newly tanned leather, cheese and phenals. The texture is very light and smooth. The palate is slightly sweeter than medium with typical Ardbeg character with nice mild smokiness, slight saltiness and very light body. The finish is light honeyed smokey with some ash, medium dry and long. Overall score 88, would higher if they hadn't watered it down to 40%abv..
I have emailed Signatory for more info, so wait and see if i am right about it being an Ardbeg. At $52cdn, for now i'll just hafta call it a tasty bargain.

Thanks to the authoroties decision to establish a "super monopoly" it might be a future possibility to try it out. It's frustrating to have to wait so long to taste the IB's everyone is talking about.

Btw - thanks for the advice LP!

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:01 am

Christian (and LP), it is my distinct impression that LP is in a very small minority in thinking Caol Ila the equal of Ardbeg. Not wrong, of course, but of an unusual opinion. I find CI a pretty good smoky Islay, but lacking the depth and complexity of the three Kildalton drams (Laph Ard & Lag). The 18 is better than the 12, as I recall, but somewhat subdued as well. I've got a cask strength here and would love to tell you it's the best of the lot, but I think it will be a while before I get to it. The IB's are, I think, very variable, moreso than most whiskies, perhaps. Not in character, but in intensity, maybe. That's an opinion based on a number of drams at the Bow Bar and the Port Charlotte Hotel.

I think the Zambuca thing is a great idea, but for a different reason: after drinking it, you won't be able to taste any liquorice in any of the whiskies you're having trouble with now!
Deactivated Member

Postby hpulley » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:28 am

I haven't tried the OB 12yo or 18yo but the cask strength is an excellent Caol Ila. I've enoyed some Dun Bheagan Caol Ilas but I've not found a great independent bottling of it (I hear the SMWS ones are great but alas I cannot get them here).

As for the contents of that Sig., at 5 years of age I doubt it is either Ardbeg or Lagavulin as both have been saving their output for OB or pre-existing blending contracts in that time. I don't think you'll see many IB Ardbegs or Lagavulins for some time. Caol Ila would be my guess.

Oh, and I used to enjoy Zambuca (black, especially) and I love licorice candy. I must say I've never found any striking licorice notes in malt whisky.

Harry
hpulley
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:34 pm

I find CI a pretty good smoky Islay, but lacking the depth and complexity of the three Kildalton drams (Laph Ard & Lag).

Looking at the standard entries in the OB stakes, I pretty much agree with this statement. However, there are some very special CI's out there that give the Kildaltons a run for their money.

Some of the SMWS Caol Ilas in the last 12 months have been spectacular.

I can't help but wonder if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy though. Diageo treat CI as a mass-producing workhorse to provide Islay malts for blending. Little wonder then that the stock standard OB's aren't great shakers in the malt stakes.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby jimidrammer » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:33 pm

Mr Fjeld

I think the Caol Ila 12 and 18 are worthy of a try. The 18 I'm close to finishing has gotten better all the way to the bottom. I can't find the C/S around here, but would probably be great also. The 12 is smokier, while the 18 more rounded and smooth. I would compare them closely to the Highland Park 12 and 18's, if that helps any.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby bamber » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:15 pm

Admiral wrote:
(snip)
Some of the SMWS Caol Ilas in the last 12 months have been spectacular.
(snip)
Cheers,
Admiral

That's exactly what I was going to say :)
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:18 pm

Admiral wrote:I can't help but wonder if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy though. Diageo treat CI as a mass-producing workhorse to provide Islay malts for blending. Little wonder then that the stock standard OB's aren't great shakers in the malt stakes.

Cheers,
Admiral

Just so, Admiral--as I understand it, CI was always intended to be a factory for blend fodder. The OB malt was not even available until a few years ago, and then it was demand from folks who'd had IB's that made it happen, I think. And that's why they don't bother aging it on Islay, for that matter.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lord_Pfaffin » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:52 pm

Ardbeg 10 is consistantly outstanding and as i was wowwed by bottles of C.I. 12 and let down by the latest bottle somewhat, i can't say the same of the C.I. 12. That inconsistancy may be the problem here. I haven't as yet tried the CS as it is a little dear at $100cdn., but if it has more of what was present in my earlier bottles of C.I.12 then it should outscore the Ardbeg.
Lord_Pfaffin
Silver Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder