Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Bottles stored in horizontal position

General chat and talk about whisky.

Bottles stored in horizontal position

Postby DRAKOSKL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi all,
I know that bottles of whisky are supposed to be stored in vertical position so that the whisky does not touch the cork because it will ruin it. Then why the distillers many times release high end expensive whiskies in boxes which the bottles are positioned horizontally. My only guess is that in their minds these bottles are to be opened and as soon as they are released. Is there anything else , maybe these bottles have special corks or something? If not, this worries me because i have been to shops that have very expensive bottles stored for many years horizontally, and this stops me from buying them. Is there any possibility that the whisky could be ruined? I would love to hear what you guys have to say.
Cheers
DRAKOSKL

Re: Bottles stored in horizontal position

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:36 pm

I have the same worry as you do.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby DRAKOSKL » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:40 pm

If you see how the ardbeg double barrel , or the macallan 1946 select reserve is placed in their boxes , you get second thoughts on how we should store our closed bottles. I ll try to contact the distillers and ask them.
DRAKOSKL

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:30 am

Please do. Let us know what they have to say about some of those packages.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby DRAKOSKL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:57 pm

I contacted ardbeg about the double barrel and they replied very fast i would say! They said that the bottles are sold in the case but they should be stored vertically or at an angle so the cork does not touch the whisky. No special corks or anything . So i guess i m not buying any of those bottles that i saw for years stored the wrong way. Too bad because now i can afford some of them.
DRAKOSKL

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:11 pm

Thanks for digging into this. I wonder if directions on storage were included for some of these packages.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby DRAKOSKL » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:03 pm

When i go to the shop that i saw these bottles ill check if they have any storage instructions but i dont think they do. I also contacted macallan last night to ask about the select reserve 1946 and the laligue series but no reply so far.
DRAKOSKL

Postby Ganga » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:47 am

As I recall, the 1946 and lalique bottlings can be stored such that the bottle is vertical. They end up flat for "display" purposes.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby DRAKOSKL » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:25 am

Ok, this is very interesting... I got a reply from macallan and they said that it makes no difference to the cork or the whisky if its stored vertically or horizontally! I feel like a newbie again!
DRAKOSKL

Postby bredman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 pm

DRAKOSKL wrote:Ok, this is very interesting...

Not really. But good on Ardbeg for saying the right thing. Not many distilleries will come forward and suggest all is not perfect. Macallan market themselves toward young, beautiful, and rich people, the sort of people that don't wish to be troubled by real world issues, no matter how trivial.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby bredman » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:00 pm

I would probably edit that^ post if i could.

For the record i'm not young, rich, and beautiful, but one out of three ain't bad. 8)
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:12 pm

bredman wrote:I would probably edit that^ post if i could.

For the record i'm not young, rich, and beautiful, but one out of three ain't bad. 8)

Can I be 1/2 of 3.... :lol:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby DRAKOSKL » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:28 pm

bredman wrote:
DRAKOSKL wrote:Ok, this is very interesting...

Not really. But good on Ardbeg for saying the right thing. Not many distilleries will come forward and suggest all is not perfect. Macallan market themselves toward young, beautiful, and rich people, the sort of people that don't wish to be troubled by real world issues, no matter how trivial.

For me, macallan sherry oak , no matter which age, is on the top of my list for drinking and collecting. I would hate thinking that they bullshitting people who ask basic questions about their products. I hope this is not the case. The question now is , am i young , beautiful and rich ? Well , not very young and rich... :D 8)
DRAKOSKL

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder