Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Maclachlan's Five Castle

General chat and talk about whisky.

Maclachlan's Five Castle

Postby kriera » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Hi there, this is my first post in this forum and yet here i come with a mistery i haven't been able to solve with my friend google... :D

Last week a friend of mine sent me a picture of a whisky bottle Maclachlan's Five Castle. He don't use to drink too much and it was barelly forgot inside the kitchen cabinet.

It happends chatting we thought we're talking about Macallan.. but no! it's Maclachlan :) so started to do few searches over google and beside a link to kind of history of a destillery i haven't been able to find info about the quality or information about the whisky.

image.jpeg
Maclachlan

Hope you can help!

Bests!

K
kriera

Re: Maclachlan's Five Castle

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:16 pm

While I can't say I know this whisky, I would suggest that it is not a particular distillery. Rather I would say the name Maclachlan is the name of the product similar to Johnny Walker. In looking at the label, I noted that it says that this is a 5 year old blended scotch whisky. Hence why I suggest that this is a product name.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: Maclachlan's Five Castle

Postby kriera » Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:37 am

More pictures:

la foto 1.JPG
Pict 1

la foto 2.JPG
Pict 2

la foto 3.JPG
Pict 3

la foto 4.JPG
Pict 4

And some info we've found

George and John Maclachlan, brothers from Strathallan, Scotland, entered separately into the Glasgow wine and spirit trade in 1871 and 1876 respectively. George Maclachlan acquired A & J McCulloch, Argyle Street, Glasgow, Scotland, wine and spirit merchants and whisky blenders, in 1886. The 2 brothers entered into partnership in 1889 and built the Castle Brewery at Wyndford Street, Maryhill, Glasgow. The firm acquired James Lipsey & Co, Belfast, Northern Ireland, Irish whiskey distillers, in 1896.The Castle Brewery had a capacity of over 30,000 barrels per annum but this was not large enough to keep up with demand and so a new Castle Brewery was built in Craigmillar, Edinburgh, Scotland. The brewery opened in 1901 and had a capacity of over 104,000 barrels per annum. John Maclachlan died in 1903 and his interest was acquired by his brother, who purchased Auchentoshan Lowland Malt Whisky Distillery, near Duntocher, Scotland, in the same year.
kriera

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder