Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

By George!

General chat and talk about whisky.

By George!

Postby Rob B » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:08 pm

I haven't bought any whisky for a couple of years and thought that maybe, just maybe I would splash for a bottle of something special for my birthday in November. Out of curiosity I first checked Brora.

Well, as per the title of this thread, I was taken aback. C£500 for a bottle of what, when I last looked, was in the low £200 arena. Laphroag 15 year old @ £150 a tilt! (TG I have three bottles salted away of that).

Is it just me or have whisky prices lost touch with reality?
Rob B
Bronze Member

Re: By George!

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:49 pm

The problem is that your examples are out of touch with the industry. Brora is a closed distillery and Laphroaig 15 was discontinued about 3 years ago and replaced by Laphroaig 18.

In some ways, I do agree with you. Laphroaig prices in general have gone up quite significantly over the last year. The new Talisker 18 pricing (last couple of months) is ridiculous. I can see that one being found on the shelf for years to come.

However, Ardbeg is actually a lower cost than 3 years ago...at least in my neck of the woods. And Glenmorangie range came down too although they've had some slight increases the last couple of months.

Look for closed distilleries to continue to climb...PE, Brora, St. Magdalene, etc. I think some of the closed distilleries won't see as much increase in their prices as others. Thinking of Littlemill here.
Ganga
Matured cask

Re: By George!

Postby whiskgeek » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:36 am

A year and a half ago, I passed up a bottle of Port Ellen in a local store, for $225. This summer, I looked online with the intent of buying. They were hard to find, and the lowest price was $600. So much for that plan.

Silent stills are going up, and not linear like many working distilleries.
whiskgeek
Bronze Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder