Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Ambassador

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whisky Ambassador

Postby whiskygirl1980 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:10 pm

Hi there everyone

Does anyone have any top tips on securing a job as a whisky ambassador? I already have the interview, i just need to wow them. Any tips would be great.

Cheers
whiskygirl1980

Postby The Fachan » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:08 pm

Whiskygirl,

A great deal depends on the market and the brand concerned. You are obviously well versed in whisky, my advice id concentarte on the major market/s you would be in and look at the way forward.
PM me if you want to chat more.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby musi » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:25 am

hey everyone
I'm new in the chat.I need a help with the whisky knowledge bcz i work as a supervisor in a restaurant our new topic next time will b "whisky" so i need more information about the blend of chivas.Can u plz help me :oops:
musi

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:25 am

You could always got o the Chivas homepage: http://www.chivas.com
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Postby Tom » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:36 pm

I was wondering, Whiskygirl, did you make it?
Tom
Gold Member

Postby musi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:12 am

I've already been to the site of Chivas but it didn't help me much it's just a general knowledge things I know.They don't mention anything about the recipe i mean it's secret but i need something to print so based on that i can make the training for the staff they need something to read.Thank you fou ur replay. :)
musi

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:52 am

In his Malt Whisky Companion, Michael Jackson notes that Chivas Bros. owns eleven distilleries, all in the Speyside district. These are Aberlour, Allt-á-Bhainne+, Benriach, Braeval*, Caperdonich*, Glen Grant*, Glen Keith, Glenallachie, The Glenlivet, Longmorn, and Strathisla. The ones marked * he specifically mentions as components of Chivas Regal. The one marked + he mentions as a component of Chivas blends generally. No doubt others are in there, as well, although some of these are relatively recent acquisitions, so may not be part of the recipe. For all I know, there are component whiskies from distilleries they don't own; if anyone has any knowledge of this, one way or the other, perhaps they'll chime in. The parent company is Pernod Ricard, which is involved in the takeover of Allied Distillers, who have ten more distilleries, so the overall picture is fluid. (Someone please provide some detail on this, or correct me--this is off the top of my head, and the details elude me at the moment.)

If you have any more questions, please feel free to start a new thread, out of fairness to the authors of other threads (said Mr Tattie Heid, world champion digressor and subject-changer!).
Deactivated Member

Postby Iain » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:30 am

Strathisla is often referred to in Chivas' tasting notes and pr material as the "the home and heart of Chivas Regal".

And to nudge this thread back towards the original topic - why not contact the distillery, and ask the brand ambassador for advice?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:16 am

Hi there,

yes so much so that you can only buy Chivas Regal at the distillery shop, but no Strathisla whatsoever. Chivas Regal in all variants and ages, though.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:47 pm

Kallaskander,

At present there is 12. 25 and 35yo Strathisla available at the distillery, all are OB's.

Ian
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:00 pm

Hi there,

thank you. Last time I was there, there was none. But that was two years ago. Nice to know.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby musi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:41 am

Thank you for the replay all
Well as i know the Chivas is using a cherry for the "unique taste" of the whisky but am not so sure about,so plz let me know if u have any idea about it.
Regards musi.
musi

Postby musi » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:46 am

Dear Mr. Tattie Heid
Shell i understand that additional to the grain, the whisky producer's mixing with other different whiskys to get the special taste?
Excuse the question if it sound stuped to u but i really want to know for sure.In the end it's a knowledge am going to give to others.
musi

Postby kallaskander » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:00 am

Hi there,

hello musi, I am sure that I did get your question right. But I would like to answer anyway.
A blend or a blended whisky is a mixture of several single malts with grain whiskies.
Most blends contain up to 40 different malts or more and 4,5 or even more grain whiskies but not so many as malts.
Chivas Regal is a blend, so it contains malts that were stored in used barrels which held Bourbon whiskey before and Chivas Regal contains whisky from barrels which held Spanish Sherry before they were filled with whisky in Scotland. The grain whiskies that are used in the blend are mostly stored in used Bourbon barrels.
The reason of this mixture is to create a whisky which always tastes the same and therefore can be recognised easily and everytime.
That means, that Chivas is always trying to have the Chivas Reagal taste the same, no matter what whiskies they have at their disposal when making the blend. That is the unique taste they refer to.

Greetings
kallaskander

PS Sorry Mr T, but we are early risers.
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby musi » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:26 am

Understood kallaskander that was great :D
I think this whisky disscusion is like a drug u just can't have enough of it, u always want more,and that is thanks to u guys. I know that my questions sound silly to u but am a begginer. :oops:
So let me make clear r they using the same grain and malts for the blend or the matter is the barrels they've been stored in?Sometimes my brain is not working well and am asking too much :lol: lol
And what is the single malt whisky?
Acording to what i learn untill now the malts is everywhere is that mean that the malt whisky is....let's say a "pure" whisky?
musi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:22 am

You could say that. Single malt whisky is any bottling of whisky only from a single distillery; the whisky is made only from malted barley, water, and yeast in pot stills. It may be aged in any barrels the distillery chooses, and usually the best barrels are reserved for these bottlings. Unless the whisky is specifically designated "single barrel" or similar, it is most likely a vatting (mixture) of many different barrels. This is done because the distillery wants to market a consistent product. There may be differently aged whiskies in any given vatting, but if there is an age on the bottle, all of the whisky in the bottle must be at least that old. A pot still is what you usually see pictures of, with a rounded pot and a long neck. One batch at a time is made in it. A bottle of single malt whisky sold by the company that owns the distillery--an "official Bottling", or OB--always has the name of the distillery on the label.

Grain whisky may contain other grains than barley, and it is usually made in a column still. This looks like a tall cylinder, and it can be operated continuously for as long as desired.

The whole idea of a blend is that much of its volume is grain whisky, which is much cheaper to produce, with the malts being added to provide character. Blends vary greatly in quality, depending on the volume of grain whisky and the age and quality of the malts used. Johnnie Walker, for example, sells the very inexpensive Red Label, and the very expensive Blue Label, and several blends in between. Generally, though, blends are less expensive than single malts. Of course the price ranges overlap a lot.

A very broad rule of thumb is that single malts have the name of a place on the label--the distillery name, which is usually the same as the locality it is in--and blends have the name of the company that produces them, often the name of the person who founded the company, or an emblem like Cutty Sark or Famous Grouse. That's a rough rule, though, because some blends use names designed to make them look like single malts, like Glen Andrew.

(kk, no sweat...it's not like I'm the most knowledgeable person here, by any means! I just happen to be here a lot.)
Deactivated Member

Postby musi » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:41 pm

:lol: Don't b so modest Mr.T
The knowledge u have is really...how to describe...ok I have my dictionary and everytime I need to check for a exact meaning of word i know i will find it there no doubt, it never let me down.So with u is the same think i know that any question i ask I will get the best answer.Reading ur post i really imagine the way they make the whisky.So thank you for that.The information i get here let me feel more profesional in my work bcz i know more then expected.So thank u all.
Can u plz tell me is there a cognac made of something else then a grape. I know that for brandy we can use any fruit but what is the situation when it comes to cognac. I personaly never heard about a "cherry cognac" or something but it looks like I don't know about lots of things in the Beverage world.
Regards musi.
P.S My dictionary is less with around 50 words then the Oxford dictionary.That's why i compare.I hope that you do understand what i mean :oops:
musi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:32 am

Cognac is exclusively made by grape and in a clearly defined area which with its soil is quite similar to the champagne district - thus you'll see "appelations" on the label; "Fine Champagne, Bons Bois etc"

Always and exclusively grape.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:18 pm

Your kind words make me blush, musi. :oops:

Christian's the expert on cognac here, or as close to one as we have, I think! To reinforce what he said, "cognac" is a specific French appellation--it is a brandy made in the Cognac region, in a specifically prescribed way. The French believe very much in the concept of terroir--that is, that the place that something is produced is as important as the ingredients and process--and such things as armagnac, calvados, and champagne are examples of specific products made in specific ways in each of those regions (although the term "champagne" is much abused outside of France).
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:16 am

Mr Tattieheid is being far too nice, but apart from that everything he says in his post is spot on.
I just wish to add that with Cognac it's far more difficult to find good stuff than with whisky. Not only do many of the producers tart up their brandy with colouring but they add sugar syrup to sweeten the taste so most people won't be offended by their product, hence my earlier argument that despite colouring and chill-filtering whisky looks like the slightly more honest product.

However, there are good producers making good uncoloured non-additive products like the terrific producer Leopold Gourmel. This stuff is so much better than the ordinary "Remy Martin" luxus brands. There is a danger however to "put off" people who expect the ordinary sweet stuff........ Mr Leopold Gourmel has also bottled Macallans (Macallan Eilan Gillan Single Cask 1990) with alledgedly good results following his filosophy of avoiding additives.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Crispy Critter » Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:48 am

The only Cognac I've had is the Guy Lhéraud VSOP Petite Champagne - which is quite good and reasonably priced. You might have trouble finding it, though - it seems to have rather limited distribution.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby musi » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi everybody!
Well I know that i can't be so much in the chat this days but we r getting busy so i don't even have time to take a breakfast and coffe in the morning but that's ok as long as i enjoy my job.Anyways thank u all for the replay it is printed and memorised :lol: .
Can u plz tell me what is the kind of grape used for champagne production like I think one of the grapes used is Pinot Noir but not sure so I leave to the experts to lighten me on this point. I guess that for champagnes like Dom Perignon,Moet&Chandon or Louis Roederer Cristal is used only one kind of grape but.....well waiting ur replay on the topic.
Talking about cognac can u plz let me know what is the age of VS,VSOP,XO.
Regards to all of you
P.S Mr.T let me tell you one of my favorite quotes
"What goes around,comes around" so u don't have to blush.
musi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:09 pm

musi wrote:Hi everybody!
Well I know that i can't be so much in the chat this days but we r getting busy so i don't even have time to take a breakfast and coffe in the morning but that's ok as long as i enjoy my job.Anyways thank u all for the replay it is printed and memorised :lol: .
Can u plz tell me what is the kind of grape used for champagne production like I think one of the grapes used is Pinot Noir but not sure so I leave to the experts to lighten me on this point. I guess that for champagnes like Dom Perignon,Moet&Chandon or Louis Roederer Cristal is used only one kind of grape but.....well waiting ur replay on the topic.
Talking about cognac can u plz let me know what is the age of VS,VSOP,XO.
Regards to all of you
P.S Mr.T let me tell you one of my favorite quotes
"What goes around,comes around" so u don't have to blush.

Your cognac question can be answered here:
http://www.cognac-world.com/article.php3?id_article=506
This site also hosts a Cognac forum.

Go here for answers on champagne:
http://www.champagne.com/
You do best in contacting a local club or national club to learn about cognac - and a wineclub to learn about champagne.

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby musi » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:57 pm

Hey hey everyone!!!!!!!!!
This time no any questions...... :lol: Just wanted to wish u a late Xmas and a Very HAPPY NEW YEAR.Thank you all for the support u gave me and good luck in whatever u do....

Cheers......

By the way....I'll be back soon with another strange question :D
musi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:57 pm

And we'll be here with even stranger answers! Cheers back at you.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:04 am

Hi there,

thank you musi. The same to you.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:35 pm

kallaskander wrote:Hi there,

yes so much so that you can only buy Chivas Regal at the distillery shop, but no Strathisla whatsoever. Chivas Regal in all variants and ages, though.

Greetings
kallaskander

??? They have the Strathisla 12 YO on sale, and now, also the cask strength Strathisla.
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby musi » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:00 pm

Hey Hey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you guys for your kind replay........as usuall. :)
musi

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder