Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malts in the Movies

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Single Malts in the Movies

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:53 pm

I wonder if the single malt is real? I read somewhere that in movie scenes they use tea instead of the real whisky. That makes sense. If they use real whisky, after take no. 27, the actor/actress will not be in a good condition to deliver the act. But what about if the bottle or glass is only use as a prop and not drunk in the scene? Do they use tea or the real stuff? I wonder.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:00 pm

I'd be willing to bet that most of the bottles in bar scenes are not props. I've been at my local while they were filming. None of the bottles moved from the shelves.

I would think the exceptions would be those on tables or in the hands of actors would likely be props.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:52 pm

Ganga wrote:I'd be willing to bet that most of the bottles in bar scenes are not props. I've been at my local while they were filming. None of the bottles moved from the shelves.

I would think the exceptions would be those on tables or in the hands of actors would likely be props.

I've seen the same and would guess this as well. But if it's a serious, or independent film maybe they'll use the real thing, to assist the actors in better understanding their roles!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Gov » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:10 pm

If I were an actor (well professional anyway) I would insist on the real stuff :P :P :dead:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:24 pm

There's a scene in Withnail & I where Withnail drinks lighter fluid then looks crazed and shocked, falls on the floor and throws up on Marwood's feet. In his book With Nails, Richard E Grant says the scene was rehearsed with water, but when it was filmed the director replaced the water with vinegar without telling him. Hence the realistic gagging. I guess the choice of props depends on the effect the director wants to achieve :insane: :yuk:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:31 pm

I like to watch 'mafia' movies and last night was watching "This Thing of Ours". Saw the guy pour a dram from a Glenffidich. The green distinctive shape is undeniably that whisky. In the bar from a distance I can see a bottle of Bruichlladich, another Glenffidich and some cognac.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Rob B » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:27 pm

TV rather than movie I am afraid - in the episode of New Tricks last night, I am sure they were drinking Laphroaig 10 year old.

Rob
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby Rob B » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:23 pm

And Monday night's episode featured a Talisker 10.
Rob B
Bronze Member

Postby bcrossan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:36 pm

A bottle came out in the new Dark Knight movie. It went to fast for me to catch the label. Did anyone else notice what it was? It was the police commissioner who had it in his desk
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby moyboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:21 am

I think the bottle in batman was a 10y.o. Ardbeg..

But don't quote me on that.

I'm only going on the bottle colour and shape and the label, but i didn't see the word Ardbeg or the usually noticeable pattern...
moyboy

Postby moyboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:14 am

I just had another look at the Ardbeg 10y.o and it is nothing like what i remember in the Dark Knight :oops: :oops:

I'll just find a rock to go hide under :headbang:
moyboy

Postby LeoDLion » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:31 pm

bcrossan wrote:A bottle came out in the new Dark Knight movie. It went to fast for me to catch the label. Did anyone else notice what it was? It was the police commissioner who had it in his desk

Yes I saw that scene too in Dark Knight. The name is something like _____URN and that is what I saw. I just went to see a picture of a Speyburn 10 yrs old and the label of the bottle certainly looks like the bottle in the movie. The label is big and colored kind of deep green.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:15 am

Just watched Charlie Bartlett (and did a search for Charlie, using the forum search function, only turning up Charlie Wilson's War) - I couldn't quite make out the bottle Robert Downey Jr.'s character is constantly clutching at home. At one point, the label appears to say Dewar's, but then on another angle it looks like something to the effect of Callaghan's - and I have no idea what that is.
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:42 am

Recently watched Spider man 2 again. Maker's Mark makes its appearance about 20 mins from the end. It was on a table by the window, definetly product placement.
les taylor

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:51 pm

I watched Elizabethtown the other day and Kirsten Dunst's character wears a Makers Mark t-shirt.

OK, I know that's not technically a bottle placement. Or single malt. I really should read threads properly ;)
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby UUNetBill » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:20 am

TreacleSponge wrote:I watched Elizabethtown the other day and Kirsten Dunst's character wears a Makers Mark t-shirt.

OK, I know that's not technically a bottle placement. Or single malt. I really should read threads properly ;)

Speaking from my perspective, ogling Kirsten Dunst's t-shirt is the proper way to read threads.
8)
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby anationonfire » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:46 am

LeoDLion wrote:
bcrossan wrote:A bottle came out in the new Dark Knight movie. It went to fast for me to catch the label. Did anyone else notice what it was? It was the police commissioner who had it in his desk

Yes I saw that scene too in Dark Knight. The name is something like _____URN and that is what I saw. I just went to see a picture of a Speyburn 10 yrs old and the label of the bottle certainly looks like the bottle in the movie. The label is big and colored kind of deep green.

Ha!that's the whole reason I came into this thread to see if it was Speyburn, by the time it flashed and I thought Scotch it was gone. I too only saw the "Urn"
anationonfire
Gold Member

Postby moyboy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:28 am

Just finished watching spiderman 3 and in the fight beween peter paker and harry in harry's manson, parker knocks a bottle of makers mark into the fire...

It seems that Kirsten Dunst and makers mark have a deal going. Three movies pointed out so far that have her and makers mark in them.....

Coincidence.....I think not. :D
moyboy

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:06 pm

moyboy wrote:Just finished watching spiderman 3 and in the fight beween peter paker and harry in harry's manson, parker knocks a bottle of makers mark into the fire...

It seems that Kirsten Dunst and makers mark have a deal going. Three movies pointed out so far that have her and makers mark in them.....

Coincidence.....I think not. :D

Is it a deal or her addiction? :shock:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:43 pm

In Smart People, Quaid drink Glenfiddich 12 straight from the bottle. :roll: Ok, you couldn't read 12 but it was the dark green color of the 12 not the sort of brown and brown green of the other bottlings.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:44 pm

In "The Hustler" Paul Newman's poison is JTS Brown bourbon, "no glass" "no ice". I love that movie!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:46 pm

"NO EDIT BUTTON"!!!!!!

JTS Brown is not a SM, but I thought I'd add it to this thread.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:54 am

Birdcae is on tonit. Swiin' Glenlivet.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 am

Amazin wat poor wireless connection can do to you.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Well not a single malt but JW Black is what they were drinking on the plane in Mr. Woodcock.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:39 pm

Gov wrote:In "The Hustler" Paul Newman's poison is JTS Brown bourbon, "no glass" "no ice". I love that movie!

I love that movie too, seen it many times. George Scott, Piper Laurie, Jackie Gleason.

On a sad note, Paul Newman is dying of cancer. They say he has maybe a month to go. Very sad.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Gov » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:29 pm

LeoDLion wrote:
Gov wrote: On a sad note, Paul Newman is dying of cancer. They say he has maybe a month to go. Very sad.

Yes it is! One of my favorite actors for sure.
Gov
Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:15 pm

Found both a sighting and a error.

Watching Leatherheads,

They are sitting around after a fight and drinking a bottle of Balvinie. So cool it is a Balvenie in a movie. Problem is it is a modern bottle and they are in about 1925-26.

Looking at it closer I can clearly see the label says 'Wood' in big letters. So Portwood, Newwood (lettering too small), Doublewood, Rumwood, maybe others. There is one thing, on the side of the label there is vertical writing. This points it right to the PortWood out of the 'wood' labeled expressions. None of the others seem to have this writing.

So Leatherheads - Balvenie Portwood (can't say if it is 21yo or a vintage). Maybe when the Blueray comes out. Kind of like IronMan.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 am

I would say it might be the strong tea version myself :wink:

I suppose Balvennie has an cool old fashioned style bottle and would fit nicely into the film without having to spend more recreating a replica from the era....
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Ganga » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:26 am

In Made of Honor, there's a whole series of whisky from the McMurray Distillery. :shock:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:19 am

In the episode of My Family on Monday there was a bottle of Glenfiddich being drunk by a Jamie a girl in her early 20's. :)
les taylor

Re:

Postby tmaufer » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:12 am

Paul A Jellis wrote:I can't remember any individual films but I often notice bottles in films and TV progs and my poor wife is amazed that I can identify what bottle it is even with the briefest of shots to camera.

Is that sad?

Cheers

Paul

No, it's not sad. I do it all the time. I don't know if that proves my point. Maybe I'm sad, too! I find it funny when what they pour is clearly not what was originally in the bottle.

My favorite ongoing Scotch moment (on TV) is the final scene each week of Boston Legal. They drink Scotch together on the balcony but you never see the bottle.
tmaufer

Postby borgom » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:58 am

In earlier seasons of Boston Legal they had some Dalmore but far more frequently and cetainly in the more recent seasons they've been drinking Chivas Regal 12 or 18.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby talisker10 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:14 pm

The bottle isn't revealed, but in "Charlie Wilson's War", Charlie Wilson is given what is said to be a fine, vintage bottle of Talisker.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby Jobi » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Just saw Righteous kill. The characted played by 50 Cent drinks Jameson NAS. Interesting product placement.
Jobi
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder