Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malts in the Movies

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Single Malts in the Movies

Postby lohssanami » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:44 am

Watching Hitman, and I'm not sure what type of SM, but he has some poured in a glass with ice. The hot blonde says, "They might kill you for that...for what you're doing to that whisky. Brutalizing it with ice! Never more than two cubes...it waters down the Scotch!"

She had me at "They!" :P
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:37 pm

lohssanami wrote:Watching Hitman, and I'm not sure what type of SM, but he has some poured in a glass with ice. The hot blonde says, "They might kill you for that...for what you're doing to that whisky. Brutalizing it with ice! Never more than two cubes...it waters down the Scotch!"

She had me at "They!" :P

Hahaha, I remember that part! I couldn't help but laugh after she said that. I couldn't figure out what the whisky was though.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Jobi wrote:Just saw Righteous kill. The characted played by 50 Cent drinks Jameson NAS. Interesting product placement.

Did you notice the size of the drams that Robert DeNiro and Al Pacino were drinking? The liquid level is almost to the top of the glass! Nobody serves that much- except maybe if you are a copy which they are in the movie.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:38 am

chriskelly87 wrote:Hello
In the case of iron man Douglas Laing made a big deal of advertising in their trade file we get in the shop saying that there would be another film with OMC in it later this year.

The joys of Blu-Ray. Watching Iron Man tonight. :D A pause at the scene and lo-and-behold we've got Laphroaig 1987 17 yo. :thumbsup:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Gov » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:06 am

Ganga wrote:
chriskelly87 wrote:Hello
In the case of iron man Douglas Laing made a big deal of advertising in their trade file we get in the shop saying that there would be another film with OMC in it later this year.

The joys of Blu-Ray. Watching Iron Man tonight. :D A pause at the scene and lo-and-behold we've got Laphroaig 1987 17 yo. :thumbsup:

Yeah, and all through that movie, the whisky is imbibed with GOBS of ice :shock: :headbang:
Gov
Gold Member

Postby Maakun » Wed Nov 05, 2008 9:21 pm

In the anime series Black Lagoon there's 'nun' asking for a bottle of Ardbeg Provinance. It looks quite funny, an animated Ardbeg bottle, too bad I somehow can't make screenshots...
Maakun

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:33 pm

Just watching Autumn Watch. And Gordon on the Farn Islands with the Grey Seals had a bottle of Laphroiag QC strategicaly placed next to him. :thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby r900p » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:06 pm

Just saw that too Les, was there also a bottle of Glenlivet, behing right? I couldn't quite tell but there were 3 bottles and one was the Laph.

Shame about the stag passing away.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:20 pm

r900p wrote:Just saw that too Les, was there also a bottle of Glenlivet, behing right? I couldn't quite tell but there were 3 bottles and one was the Laph.

Shame about the stag passing away.

Rob

Rob you could be right about the Glenlivet I couldn't quite make it out.

Yep poor old Caeser. Still he sired 40 offspring. I shall definetly look out for springwatch next year. I love these programs.
les taylor

Postby John McGill » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:59 pm

Spooks on BBC1 tonight - Harry just opened a bottle of Ardbeg. I think it was A10 - surely they weren't crafty enough to get a bottle of Uigeadail on air :lol:
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:08 pm

John McGill wrote:Spooks on BBC1 tonight - Harry just opened a bottle of Ardbeg. I think it was A10 - surely they weren't crafty enough to get a bottle of Uigeadail on air :lol:

John I had it on the planner and freeze framed it. I'm convinced it was the old A10. Nice to see him and Connie drinking last years greatest Malt.
les taylor

Postby John McGill » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:34 pm

les taylor wrote:
John McGill wrote:Spooks on BBC1 tonight - Harry just opened a bottle of Ardbeg. I think it was A10 - surely they weren't crafty enough to get a bottle of Uigeadail on air :lol:

John I had it on the planner and freeze framed it. I'm convinced it was the old A10. Nice to see him and Connie drinking last years greatest Malt.

It would have been incredibly timely / topical if it had been Uigeadail.
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:06 am

John McGill wrote:
les taylor wrote:

It would have been incredibly timely / topical if it had been Uigeadail.

It would have been prophetic. The programs were filmed back in the summer.
les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:18 am

What is it about certain leading charachters in "police thrillers" `and the size of their...drams??

Geezer in CSI which my wife likes to unwind with after a hard day's parenting( I think the series is pure cheese!)has a bottle of Makers Mark, and drinks from a jam jar FULL!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 am

Reggaeblues wrote:What is it about certain leading charachters in "police thrillers" `and the size of their...drams??

Geezer in CSI which my wife likes to unwind with after a hard day's parenting( I think the series is pure cheese!)has a bottle of Makers Mark, and drinks from a jam jar FULL!!

RB in reality it's cold tea no milk or sugar. :shock:
les taylor

Postby LeoDLion » Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:27 pm

We saw Quatum of Solace the latest James Bond movie. Unfortunately I am not able to identify any whisky in the movie. James Bond (Daniel Craig) was handed a dram, more like two fingers, in the beginning of the movie. I am glad to see he is drinking it neat. But no bottle in sight.

In another scene, one of the bad guys was being poured from a bottle. It looks like a single malt. The bottle is clear with square sides. What could that be?

When JB was drinking with his buddy in a bar, the bartender recited JB's recipe for his famous martini. I forgot the exact ingredients but it was ended with , "...shaken but not stirred until cold.".
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby thekw » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:49 am

NCIS television series, "Conspiracy Theory" episode, #42; it was on tonight. Tobias tells Gibbs that what Gibbs drinks is gut rot. Tobias then pulls out a flask, opens it up, says "Macallan 18, now there's a fine drink" and takes a swig.
thekw

Postby kyorke1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:42 pm

I think the Dark Knight had a bottle of Speyburn in it. This was the chosen bottle of an actor just after he just received the news he was to be the next murder victim. Of all the whiskies in the world! :lol:
kyorke1
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:36 pm

Wow such great finds that I have never noticed. I am a total movie buff, I have to start paying attention more when I am watching a movie for these product placements.

The one I do remember is in "Animal House" they throw Beluschi a bottle of Jack Daniels and downs the whole thing.

Also, in a TV program "Two and a Half Men" Charlie has a bottle of Glenmorangie Old Port Wood Finish with all his other alcohol. Can't tell the other ones' he has.

Will post more once I start paying attention.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby UUNetBill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I've seen Charlie with several different single malts on that show - some I could identify and some I couldn't. He also goes through quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Good show, I say. :thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:08 pm

UUNetBill wrote:I've seen Charlie with several different single malts on that show - some I could identify and some I couldn't. He also goes through quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Definitely, if you want to see a lot of exposure of alcohol in general that is a pretty decent show to watch. And yes he does drinks a lot of bourbon usually when he is working out. But all in all a good show, makes laugh my a** off :lol:
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby UUNetBill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:34 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:
UUNetBill wrote:I've seen Charlie with several different single malts on that show - some I could identify and some I couldn't. He also goes through quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Definitely, if you want to see a lot of exposure of alcohol in general that is a pretty decent show to watch. And yes he does drinks a lot of bourbon usually when he is working out. But all in all a good show, makes laugh my a** off :lol:

Yep - remember when he was working out in his bedroom, took that big pull off of the bourbon in his water bottle and said, "Aaahhh - feel the burn." Thought I was going to fall off the couch laughing. . .

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't find the show funny at all.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm

UUNetBill wrote:
scotchdrinker wrote:

Yep - remember when he was working out in his bedroom, took that big pull off of the bourbon in his water bottle and said, "Aaahhh - feel the burn." Thought I was going to fall off the couch laughing. . .

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't find the show funny at all.

Yup, I remember oh too well. I think I just saw that a couple weeks ago. I understand, not all women like that show. But I don't care makes me laugh that is all that matter.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:41 pm

I watched The Bronx Is Burning over the last two days. Billy Martin/John Turturro spent an awful lot of time the Dewar's White Label for the first 5 episodes but then switched to Glenlivet 12 for the last few episodes. I believe they were using a more current bottling-double label on the front-as opposed to a vintage 1977 Glenlivet 12.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:09 am

While watching My Boys, Johnnie Walker Blue was being consumed. Interesting thing was the drunkard went off on Glen-shove-it-up-your-beep.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby evanstonwhisky » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:35 am

Ganga wrote:While watching My Boys Interesting thing was the drunkard went off on Glen-shove-it-up-your-beep.

what is "glen-shove-it-up-your-beep"?
evanstonwhisky

Postby Ganga » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:02 pm

I'd guess at Glenlivet. The character was trying to show his sofistication by drinking an expensive whisky like Johnnie Blue compared to an inexpensive whisky. As most bars in large metropolitan areas of the US, like Chicago, carry Glenlivet I'd lean towards this.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby borgom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:59 am

Noticed Johnny Depp likes the Johnny Walker Black Label in The Ninth Gate.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Kim » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Watched "Diary of the Dead" last week. Our heroes (bunch of dumb students) come across a much better organised group who've managed to fill a warehouse with all the necessities for surviving in a zombified world - food, water, medicine, weapons...and a good few cases of Glenfiddich.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby Alsiam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 am

borgom wrote:Noticed Johnny Depp likes the Johnny Walker Black Label in The Ninth Gate.

Great film! In the book he always seems to be drinking gin...Larios if I remember rightly
Alsiam

Postby borgom » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

Alsiam wrote:Great film! In the book he always seems to be drinking gin...Larios if I remember rightly

I have to agree. I had not seen it before but i'd say it's one of the better movies i've seen in a long time.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:23 am

Finally watched Layer Cake today and noticed many different whiskies. The Macallan and Highland Park were the two single malts I could identify although the bottles clearly did not contain the original contents judging by their colour. Not sure if anyone else here can identify the blends, vatted malts and possibly Irish in this movie?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 am

I watched the final of the Scottish heat of Great British Menu yesterday. From last monday I was wondering what dram Tom Kitchin used for his starter. From the final broadcast on friday I reckon it was Talisker 10. :)
les taylor

Postby bbrownri » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 pm

In the episode "Dead Irish Writers," in the third season of The West Wing (an excellent show), British Ambassador Lord John Marbury asks White House Communications Director Toby Ziegler if there's any Lagavulin lying around. Thinking a clarification might be in order the ambassador says, "It's a 16-year-old Islay malt. They usually have some around here," to which Toby replies with a blase expression, "I know Lagavulin. There's a bar down the street: the guy keeps a bottle there." Another great TV moment for whisky.
bbrownri

Postby MarkV » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm

In the 1958 flick, "A Night to Remember," about the Titanic, the baker knocks back a bottle of Johnnie Walker in his cabin. It's a black and white film so you can't tell which label. For you movie buffs, the producers of "ANtR used uncredited scences of the ship from a 1943 German propaganda film, "Titanic." By the way, the baker survived.
MarkV

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder