Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malts in the Movies

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Single Malts in the Movies

Postby UUNetBill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I've seen Charlie with several different single malts on that show - some I could identify and some I couldn't. He also goes through quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Good show, I say. :thumbsup:
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:08 pm

UUNetBill wrote:I've seen Charlie with several different single malts on that show - some I could identify and some I couldn't. He also goes through quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Definitely, if you want to see a lot of exposure of alcohol in general that is a pretty decent show to watch. And yes he does drinks a lot of bourbon usually when he is working out. But all in all a good show, makes laugh my a** off :lol:
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby UUNetBill » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:34 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:
UUNetBill wrote:I've seen Charlie with several different single malts on that show - some I could identify and some I couldn't. He also goes through quite a bit of bourbon as well.

Definitely, if you want to see a lot of exposure of alcohol in general that is a pretty decent show to watch. And yes he does drinks a lot of bourbon usually when he is working out. But all in all a good show, makes laugh my a** off :lol:

Yep - remember when he was working out in his bedroom, took that big pull off of the bourbon in his water bottle and said, "Aaahhh - feel the burn." Thought I was going to fall off the couch laughing. . .

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't find the show funny at all.
UUNetBill
Silver Member

Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA - at the foot of Pikes Peak!

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:44 pm

UUNetBill wrote:
scotchdrinker wrote:

Yep - remember when he was working out in his bedroom, took that big pull off of the bourbon in his water bottle and said, "Aaahhh - feel the burn." Thought I was going to fall off the couch laughing. . .

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't find the show funny at all.

Yup, I remember oh too well. I think I just saw that a couple weeks ago. I understand, not all women like that show. But I don't care makes me laugh that is all that matter.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:35 am

Ganga wrote:While watching My Boys Interesting thing was the drunkard went off on Glen-shove-it-up-your-beep.

what is "glen-shove-it-up-your-beep"?
evanstonwhisky

Postby borgom » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:59 am

Noticed Johnny Depp likes the Johnny Walker Black Label in The Ninth Gate.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Kim » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Watched "Diary of the Dead" last week. Our heroes (bunch of dumb students) come across a much better organised group who've managed to fill a warehouse with all the necessities for surviving in a zombified world - food, water, medicine, weapons...and a good few cases of Glenfiddich.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby Alsiam » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:26 am

borgom wrote:Noticed Johnny Depp likes the Johnny Walker Black Label in The Ninth Gate.

Great film! In the book he always seems to be drinking gin...Larios if I remember rightly
Alsiam

Postby borgom » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:08 am

Alsiam wrote:Great film! In the book he always seems to be drinking gin...Larios if I remember rightly

I have to agree. I had not seen it before but i'd say it's one of the better movies i've seen in a long time.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:23 am

Finally watched Layer Cake today and noticed many different whiskies. The Macallan and Highland Park were the two single malts I could identify although the bottles clearly did not contain the original contents judging by their colour. Not sure if anyone else here can identify the blends, vatted malts and possibly Irish in this movie?
borgom
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:07 am

I watched the final of the Scottish heat of Great British Menu yesterday. From last monday I was wondering what dram Tom Kitchin used for his starter. From the final broadcast on friday I reckon it was Talisker 10. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bbrownri » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:07 pm

In the episode "Dead Irish Writers," in the third season of The West Wing (an excellent show), British Ambassador Lord John Marbury asks White House Communications Director Toby Ziegler if there's any Lagavulin lying around. Thinking a clarification might be in order the ambassador says, "It's a 16-year-old Islay malt. They usually have some around here," to which Toby replies with a blase expression, "I know Lagavulin. There's a bar down the street: the guy keeps a bottle there." Another great TV moment for whisky.
bbrownri

Postby MarkV » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:16 pm

In the 1958 flick, "A Night to Remember," about the Titanic, the baker knocks back a bottle of Johnnie Walker in his cabin. It's a black and white film so you can't tell which label. For you movie buffs, the producers of "ANtR used uncredited scences of the ship from a 1943 German propaganda film, "Titanic." By the way, the baker survived.
MarkV

Postby Kim » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:44 pm

In 'The New Avengers' episode 'Obsession' a very young Martin Shaw gets an army general blind drunk by forcing a large amount of J&B down his throat.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby evanstonwhisky » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:21 pm

Kim wrote:In 'The New Avengers' episode 'Obsession' a very young Martin Shaw gets an army general blind drunk by forcing a large amount of J&B down his throat.

J&B is suprisingly drinkable......
evanstonwhisky

Postby blacksabb » Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:31 am

Does anyone mind if I broaden this thread (for the purposes of my post) to spirits?

I was watching an old James Bond movie with Sean Connery. I'm sorry, but I just can't remember the exact one now. And James Bond is at this health retreat. He walks into a room where he is met by this beautiful (of course) woman who tells him of his exercise and diet regime, including things like wheatgrass and colonic treatments.

James Bond is not impressed with the health foods and drinks and then opens his briefcase and proudly displays his wares to this woman. It includes cheeses and caviars-and you can clearly see a bottle of Absolut Vodka in the corner!

Btw, the woman looks at all this yummy unhealthy staff like a dog looking at a butchers window. And James Bond entices her to start sampling some.

Yep, the morale of the story is that cheeses and caviars beats wheatgrass, and spirits down the throat are better than liquids shoved up your bum! :shock:
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby Kim » Sat Apr 25, 2009 10:57 pm

blacksabb wrote:I was watching an old James Bond movie with Sean Connery. I'm sorry, but I just can't remember the exact one now. And James Bond is at this health retreat. He walks into a room where he is met by this beautiful (of course) woman who tells him of his exercise and diet regime, including things like wheatgrass and colonic treatments.

Sounds very much like 'Thunderball'.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby Kim » Sat May 09, 2009 12:00 am

A bit of channel surfing just now brought me to 'Mad Men' where Pete, in his office, pours himself a dram of whatever Glenlivet was available in the early '60s.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:58 am

Probably been posted already but in Charlie Wilsons War, Philip Seymour Hoffmans CIA character gives politician Tom Hanks a bugged bottle of Talisker 12.
dramtastic

Postby dramtastic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:59 am

Oh and Tom Hanks is also seen drinking Chivas 12 in the bath after giving Julie Roberts a right rogering.
dramtastic

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:25 pm

I was watching Two and a Half Men the other night. And there was an episode from the first Season where Charlie has his mens support group and they are smoking cigars and drinking single Malt.

It looks like there were a few Malts they were drinking. Not sure on all of them. But I think they had,
Lagavulin
Macallan

If anyone else has seen that episode and has other insight please let me know.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:02 pm

In Ashes to Ashes this week Gene Hunt was drinking Jacobite. :shock:
les taylor

Postby Beist » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:52 pm

Okay, this one is not about Single Malts but whisky anyways....

In Frasier episode Niles and Frasier are simultaneously chasing after ladies Poppy and Regan and when they fail, they end up comforting themselves with a whisky. Niles orders "two bourbons" but bar tender takes Jack Daniels bottle and pours the drinks. :o
Beist

Postby wolpertinger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:31 pm

Second Sight - with Clive Owen. The film is not very famous - but really worth seeing.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0187489/

Imagine my surprise when Clive gets served a dram of.....

Loch Dhu :yuk:

Well at least it was the bottle - the liquor in his glas was much to light to be that dreadful stuff.
wolpertinger

Postby laphroaig10_65 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:30 am

In "Män som hatar kvinnor" (Men who hate women), a bottle of Bushmills 21 yo is drunk.
Bye
Luca
laphroaig10_65
Bronze Member

Postby Caledonia » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:10 am

Probably been said before but saw it again last night

Constantine - Keanu drinking Ardbeg
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:52 pm

In Ironman Robert Downey Jr. is drinking an "Old Malt Cask" not sure which one but yeah.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:59 pm

Ganga wrote:OMC Laphroaig 17, 1987.

Thanks for that Richard. It was bugging me what it was. How did you know what it was, its hard to tell in the movie??
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:59 pm

Ganga wrote:Blu-ray, step function and lots of patience. :mrgreen:

Now I understand. :shock: Thank you
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:08 am

Glenmorangie 10 (not the new bottling of Original) in Two and a Half Men (not a film but on TV)
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Kim » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Watched a third season episode of The X-Files today, 'The Walk'. The cupboard behind General Callahan's desk contained a bottle of Glenfiddich that put in two appearances.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby Kim » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Not entirely clear what Gloria (Celia Imrie) was drinking in tonight's episode of 'Kingdom', but it looked very much like a bottle of Talisker 10yo.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:09 am

ClubSmed wrote:Glenmorangie 10 (not the new bottling of Original) in Two and a Half Men (not a film but on TV)

I've noticed they often have single malts on Two and a Half Men, someone on that set must actually be a malt drinker.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:20 am

I wonder if Charlie Sheen is a malt drinker, as he's the one always featured drinking it on the show, perhaps he insists they get these bottles for filming so he can partake? I haven't paid attention but are the bottles always within a certain price range? It could just be because his carachter is supposed to enjoy SMS's that they are cycling through the bottles in a certain price range.

Either way the shows good for a laugh now and then.
AdamMY

Postby borgom » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:29 am

AdamMY wrote:I haven't paid attention but are the bottles always within a certain price range?

They seem to be, I've noticed Dalwhinnie 15, Talisker 10, Glenmo 10 and I think a finished Glenmo too.
borgom
Gold Member

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder