Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malts in the Movies

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Single Malts in the Movies

Postby ClubSmed » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 pm

In "Doll House" the senator (or whatever he is) drank a dram of Glenrothes, must have been a bad batch though as it rendered him unconscious (it was drugged :lol: )
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:50 pm

In Out of Africa the Dr drinks Jamesons
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:59 am

Ganga wrote:Wife was watching CSI LA tonight (yeah, recorded) and the little old lady broke out a Glen Garioch 1958. You couldn't tell whether said bottle was what was claimed (looked like a Tali bottle to me). Now said little old lady pronounced it Glen Gare-ock. Sigh.

NCIS LA it was. I cringed at the mis-pronunciation also, but the wife hit me for commenting on it. The frustrating part is they chose a Scotch only an anorak would probably appreciate and still screwed it up. It's not at all the same as mis-pronouncing Glenfiddich IMHO.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:02 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:In the last scene of the movie, SLEEPERS, there is bushmills on the table.

Any idea which one?
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:59 pm

Yes, this has been converted into whiskies in the movies.

Bridge on the River Kwai features Hayakawa and Guiness partaking in a little JW Red.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Jim Beam » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:07 pm

In the 2001 film Training Day (starring Denzel Washington and Ethan Hawke) the character Roger (played by Scott Glenn) is drinking an apparantly very expensive whisky. I have tried and tried to identify it, but couldn't even make out from which distillery it was. My hunch was MacAllan, but that's just a feeling really.
Anyone know which it was?
Jim Beam

Postby lockejn » Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:42 am

In last week's Burn Notice ("Noble Causes") there was a pour of Glendronach (or Glendullan? I don't remember now) though strangely they referred to it as Dalmore.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Jobi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:28 pm

lockejn wrote:In last week's Burn Notice ("Noble Causes") there was a pour of Glendronach (or Glendullan? I don't remember now) though strangely they referred to it as Dalmore.

I saw that too. I paused on the shot and the bottle said Glencallan. I don't remember the reference to Dalmore, though.
Jobi
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 pm

Jobi wrote:
lockejn wrote:In last week's Burn Notice ("Noble Causes") there was a pour of Glendronach (or Glendullan? I don't remember now) though strangely they referred to it as Dalmore.

I saw that too. I paused on the shot and the bottle said Glencallan. I don't remember the reference to Dalmore, though.

Jobi the characters name was Dal. As he poured for his guest, the guest said " Dal, more." :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:02 pm

Went to see A Single Man last night, for which Colin Firth might just pick up an oscar. Funny that the same bottle of Rare Malt North Port 20yo from an earlier post also featured in this movie. Even more so that the film is set in the 60s and this North Port was not even distilled until 1979. There was also a bottle of Lagavulin which from a distance looked like the Distillers Edition, once again, not bottled till at least 1998.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Swedish Chef » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:55 pm

The Dazzler wrote:Went to see A Single Man last night, for which Colin Firth might just pick up an oscar. Funny that the same bottle of Rare Malt North Port 20yo from an earlier post also featured in this movie. Even more so that the film is set in the 60s and this North Port was not even distilled until 1979. There was also a bottle of Lagavulin which from a distance looked like the Distillers Edition, once again, not bottled till at least 1998.

Slainte

Ah, the wonders of tinseltown. :lol:
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby blacksabb » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 am

Well last week the movie "The Day After Tomorrow" was on. There's one scene where the main scientist is speaking by phone to a couple of other scientifists stationed in a remote weather observing outpost to get out immediately. As a killer chill storm was coming. The other scientist said that it was too late, he hung up and this small group of men accepted their inevitable fate, waiting for the killer freeze to quickly come upon them.

One of them picked off a bottle of Scotch off a shelf and another guy said something like "What are you doing, that's a 12yr Scotch". The others seem to think that it didn't matter if they indulged at that moment.

The Scotch was The Balvenie Doublewood.
blacksabb
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:37 am

In a French film I watched today call The Serpent, for the briefest moment you see a bottle of Aberlour 10 get knocked over. Thank heavens I have live pause and rewind on my cable set up.

Isn't France Aberlours biggest market?
dramtastic

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:56 pm

Die Another Day, James Bond, is currently on, with a break 4 News.

Just happened to watch for a few minutes, and lo, on the table in, is it M's(?) office stands a bottle of Talisker 10(I guess) with the old label...

BTW do any of you sad buggers do what I do(with a reprimand of "you're SAD!!"from the wife...)

Whenever there's a bar scene in any drama or film, I find myself scanning the bottles at the bar checking for malts!

She HATES it when I say "Oh look! A bottle of..."
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby dramtastic » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:46 am

Reggaeblues wrote:BTW do any of you sad buggers do what I do(with a reprimand of "you're SAD!!"from the wife...)

Whenever there's a bar scene in any drama or film, I find myself scanning the bottles at the bar checking for malts!

Every time Reggae. One thing, Mrs DT often looks as well. Watching an episode of Aussie Laddette to Lady the other night :oops: she pipes up and says, look Laphroaig! Even pronounced it correctly :thumbsup:
dramtastic

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:17 am

Reggaeblues wrote:.....BTW do any of you sad buggers do what I do(with a reprimand of "you're SAD!!"from the wife...)

Whenever there's a bar scene in any drama or film, I find myself scanning the bottles at the bar checking for malts! ......

Yes! And if I'm watching a film on DVD I will hit pause so nothing slips by. Not sure what is to be gained by all this. I do know that when I announced to my girlfriend while we were watching The Day After Tomorrow that it was too bad they only had the Balvenie 12yo and not a 1968 Vintage Cask, she told me to "just watch the film."
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Die Another Day, James Bond, is currently on, with a break 4 News.

Just happened to watch for a few minutes, and lo, on the table in, is it M's(?) office stands a bottle of Talisker 10(I guess) with the old label...

BTW do any of you sad buggers do what I do(with a reprimand of "you're SAD!!"from the wife...)

She HATES it when I say "Oh look! A bottle of..."

It's so sady. (How sad is it?) My wife calls me in during her shows to have me look at the bottles and automatically pauses during bar scenes. :wink:
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby mikeymad » Mon May 03, 2010 6:43 am

In Family Guy - "Brian and Stewie"

Hey are locked in a vault. And Drink a bottle of Glenfiddich... Yes a dog and a baby...

Cheers
mikeymad

Postby Ganga » Mon May 03, 2010 2:30 pm

I noticed in Good Will Hunting that Robin Williams character was a big fan of Bushmills Original. There was an empty on the sink and another half full on the table. And the glass was full although I think the contents were a little darker for Bushmills Original.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Maccy » Mon May 03, 2010 8:47 pm

Lots of re-runs of Two and a Half Men on Comedy Central.

Alan was knocking back a Glenmorangie!
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby Maccy » Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 pm

Maccy wrote:Lots of re-runs of Two and a Half Men on Comedy Central.

Alan was knocking back a Glenmorangie!

Today it was a bottle of Glenlivet 12
Maccy
Silver Member

Postby dramtastic » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:09 am

Watching Ironman(the first one) and after demonstrating the Jericho missle system Tony starks portable bar pops up with what I'm sure is a bottle of Old Malt Cask though I don't know from which distillery.
dramtastic

Postby Kim » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:47 pm

Midsomer Murders episode "They Seek Him Here" - barman pours dram and puts Balvenie-shaped bottle down. On the label 'The Balv...' can be seen but the lighting is too dim to make out much more.
Kim
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 am

There had been a discussion awhile ago about whisky v whiskey. I found that 20s and 30s US authors used whisky even though today's excepted spelling is whiskey. I found the Faulkner also used the no "e" spelling.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:30 pm

True Blood Season 3 Ep2 finds Tara knocking back Wild Turkey 101 straight from the bottle.
dramtastic

Postby drinix » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Pete Campbell in the series "Mad Men" drinks Glenlivet 12yo, although on the rocks :P.
I think I also saw a bottle once a bottle of Linkwood 12.
Otherwise you see plenty of blends from J&B to Canadian Club.
drinix

Postby AshDLS » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:28 am

Recently I've been watching parts of a Japanese film called Suspect X as part of a translation class - two guys in the movie sit down and plow through an entire bottle of Bowmore 17, drinking it from huge glasses full of ice. :|

In Japan the notion that all alcoholic drinks should be ice cold (well, except for hot sake) typically extends to red wine as well. A friend of mine ordered a glass of red in a bar a while back, unsurprisingly it came to the counter chilled straight from the fridge. My friend, whose Japanese ability is admittedly not the greatest, tried to use a bizarre combination of sign language and interpretive dance to explain that a glass of red ought to be a little warmer, around room temperature. The bartender brought it back to her a minute later, piping hot, after having microwaved it. :wink:
AshDLS

Postby Ganga » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:18 pm

Is there any other triangular bottles similar to the Grants blends? I understand that the Glenfiddich is but it's green not clear. I'm watching Cash McCall and he pulled out that oh so familiar bottle.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:32 pm

In Dexter Season 4, John Lithgow drinks Glenfiddich 12yo.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:40 am

Was watching Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice. Ballantines was being consumed in Vegas.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:43 pm

In My Boys Season Finale they were drinking Laphroaig.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:42 pm

scotchdrinker wrote:In My Boys Season Finale they were drinking Laphroaig.

And I'm pretty sure it is the standard 10.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby scotchdrinker » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:51 pm

I am pretty sure of that too.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:40 am

It's not a movie, but 'Sons of Anarchy', the TV show, had a bottle of George T. Stagg on the table.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:30 am

I've been rewatching My Boys Season 3. In one episode there is an 8 yo unidentifiable scotch whisky. In another they reference one as and 18 yo scotch (whisky). I believe this one was a Glenlivet but they never give a good enough view to be certain.
Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder