Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Single Malts in the Movies

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:51 pm

That's a good one Paul........... :D
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Paul A Jellis » Fri Apr 28, 2006 8:15 pm

and there's a lot of Teachers in Goodbye Mr Chips!

Cheers, Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:14 pm

Paul A Jellis wrote:and there's a lot of Teachers in Goodbye Mr Chips!

Cheers, Paul

... and dead poets society ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Thu May 11, 2006 7:59 am

I just revisited the tv-series called "Tinker, tailor, soldier, spy" based on a John Le Carrè novel. I jumped in my seat as I saw the hotel being used as "base" for Smiley's operations - the Islay Hotel 8) The hotel itself certainly wouldn't pass for the "Queen of the hotels" .

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Richiyaado » Sun May 14, 2006 9:09 pm

We were just watching Peter Jackson's "King Kong" on DVD, and noticed that the movie producer character (Jack Black) tells his assistant to bring a case of Red Label aboard ship, but he says, "80 percent proof." I'd think that would qualify as a bona fide film flub.
Richiyaado

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon May 15, 2006 1:47 am

I guess it has to do with both whisky and the movie:

From BBC:

'Whisky' sailor returns to island

An original crew member from the ship which inspired the film Whisky Galore has returned to the Western Isles after 65 years.
Maurice Watson, who worked as a cadet on the SS Politician, returned to Eriskay to mark his 80th birthday.

Link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4768801.stm

What a great story!!!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Arebee » Wed Jun 07, 2006 7:51 pm

Although not a Single Malt, I recall a gangster thug in Mad Dog and Glory (with Robert DeNiro, Uma Thurman and Bill Murray) ordering a Chivas and Milk.
Arebee

Postby PuckJunkie » Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:46 pm

Also not a single malt, and not a movie, but an episode of West Wing I just saw had a crucial scene center around a character unable to resist the temptation of Johnny Walker Blue Label. According to him, it's aged sixty years. I thought that was wrong, but I can't find anything saying how long the whiskies in Blue Label are aged except for a Wikipedia article saying "some of the whiskies in the blend are believed to be aged from 50 to 60 years". Interesting.

They also screwed up the definition of bourbon in an episode previous to that one. The President states that "bourbon has to come from Kentucky, otherwise it must be called 'sour mash'." Well, 0 for 2 isn't bad - US federal law regulates what can be called bourbon, but it doesn't specify an origin, which is why Virginia Gentleman (the whiskey, not the forum member :)) can be called a bourbon. And if it's not bourbon, they can call it whiskey like everyone else. It's only 'sour mash' if they use the sour mash process - which most bourbons do.

Puck

P.S. Chivas and Milk? Since I try to stick to the philosophy of "don't knock it until you've tried it" when it comes to drinks, I will never, ever, criticize that drink.
PuckJunkie
Bronze Member

Postby arnehd » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:34 pm

Glenfiddich -the malt ot the bad guys! In Hotel Rwanda the protagonist (played by Don Cheadle) uses Glenfiddich to bribe a hutu general ? . In this case Glenfiddich is also lifesaver.

And although not a malt and not even from europe (but one beautiful bottle) the film Inside Man features the sillhouette from a bottle of blantons in the bad guy's office. I've never tasted it , but I shure like the bottle!
arnehd

Postby Iain » Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:57 pm

Not a single malt but -

In Get Carter (the original, with Michael Caine), does he try to force feed the bad(der) guy with a bottle of McKinlay's?
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:11 pm

Empty bottle of Johnny Walker Red early in the movie Diva by Beineix.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Thomas H. » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:02 am

Iain wrote:Not a single malt but -

In Get Carter (the original, with Michael Caine), does he try to force feed the bad(der) guy with a bottle of McKinlay's?

I do know that in the version of Get Carther with Stallone, the character played by Caine is carrying a case of Glenfiddich.
Thomas H.

Postby Iain » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:55 am

I think the makers of the first GC had a "deal" with Scottish & Newcastle, the then-owners of Mackinlays. Some scenes were shot in S&N pubs.

It's a fantastic film (the first one - I've not seen the remake, but I've heard bad reviews!)
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:34 pm

There was of course a lot of different whisky labels to be seen in the film "Whisky Galore" . It is a lovely movie and one I can highly recommend to everyone - also the "younger ones" who may write off movies made in black & white. I bought a two disc version from Amazon.uk including interviews with people who took part in the looting, interviews with people who were involved in the making and acting of the movie - including locals. It's perfectly understandable that someone wants to repeate the success once more and film it again.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby sku » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm

In Hotel Rwanda, I think it was Glenmorangie, not Glenfiddich, which is the malt of the bad guys.

In the premier episode of Vikar of Dibley, the Vikar asks for some Glenfiddich.

The second season of Deadwood has what I can only imagine to be a paid product placement for Basil Haden bourbon, preferred by the character Wolcott. This month's issue of WM states that BH wasn't around at the time the show is set, which I found upsetting since the show is going for such a realistic feel.

Has no one mentioned Lost in Translation? "For relaxing times...make it Suntory time." I assume this is another paid product placement.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:19 pm

sku wrote:In Hotel Rwanda, I think it was Glenmorangie, not Glenfiddich, which is the malt of the bad guys.

....are you sure about that? I seem to remember it was Glenfiddich?

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby sku » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:44 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
sku wrote:In Hotel Rwanda, I think it was Glenmorangie, not Glenfiddich, which is the malt of the bad guys.

....are you sure about that? I seem to remember it was Glenfiddich?

Christian

There may have been some fiddich as well, but Glenmorangie is the whisky that General Bizimungu takes a liking to and Don Cheadle's character gives him a few complimentary bottles. Later, during the war, they are seen drinking whisky (don't remember what) and Cheadle says, "I'm sorry it's not Glenmorangie."

I hope Glenmorangie didn't pay for this placement...can't imagine that association with war criminals would help sales.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:01 pm

You are probably right sku - but it's a very good movie anyway! Highly recomendable!

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Whiskana » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:14 pm

Just after the opening titles in the movie Shadowboxer there is a bottle of Wild Turkey on the table. Apparently it mixes well with some pills... Image
Whiskana
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:33 am

sku wrote:Has no one mentioned Lost in Translation? "For relaxing times...make it Suntory time." I assume this is another paid product placement.

Actually, that may not be the case. I interviewed Lincoln Henderson of Suntory earlier this year, and he discussed this. Suntory was approached by the film's producers because they needed an authentic Japanese brand that would make sense in the context of the film. To be honest, I didn't ask whether any money changed hands, but the impression I received was that Suntory went along for the obvious publicity it would receive.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby sku » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:01 pm

MGillespie wrote:
sku wrote:Has no one mentioned Lost in Translation? "For relaxing times...make it Suntory time." I assume this is another paid product placement.

Actually, that may not be the case. I interviewed Lincoln Henderson of Suntory earlier this year, and he discussed this. Suntory was approached by the film's producers because they needed an authentic Japanese brand that would make sense in the context of the film. To be honest, I didn't ask whether any money changed hands, but the impression I received was that Suntory went along for the obvious publicity it would receive.

Mark

Interesting. Mark, I must have missed that one, can you tell us what WhiskyCast episode that was on?
sku
Bronze Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:05 pm

Episode 40 from May 17...
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:49 pm

Just watching an old episode of Arrested Development, and George was gulping down a bottle of Jameson.
Aidan

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:26 pm

I've bought 5 classic movies with Michael Caine and saw two of them today. Ipcress file and Funeral in Berlin are two great movies from the sixties - both featuring Johnnie Walker several times. Looks like Johnnie Walker Red is popular in her majesty's secret service.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:59 am

Million dollar brain - again featuring Michael Caine and Johnnie Walker Red.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:35 am

Sorry for the posting spree in this thread but I saw - can you guess - Johnnie Walker, on a board over the race track during yesterday's last race of this formula one season. I think McLaren are sponsored by them too? Great race by Massa and Schumi will be missed in the same way as Prost, Mansel, , Lauda & Hakkinen are missed.

Next season will be fantastic I gather when Kimi finally will race for a propper team 8)
Mr Fjeld

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:18 am

Breaking the tradition here but I had a few glasses of rum last night while watching a good movie called "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World" with Russel Crowe. They too had quite a few glasses of rum.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Ann-Helen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:56 am

So Mr Fjeld what kind of rum did you taste?
And how was it?
Ann-Helen
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:15 am

And have you read any Patrick O'Brian?
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Ann-Helen wrote:So Mr Fjeld what kind of rum did you taste?
And how was it?

Hi Ann-Helen, I had a few glasses of Mount Gay Extra Old which apparently is a classic and respected rum. I like it but it's a little confusing also as it resembles both an aged cognac and a bourbon. The latter one must surely be an influence from being matured in bourbon casks. I think it's only in Haiti and Martinique they use cognac barrels. As I understand it the rum from those two areas are making rum from sugar cane juice and not molasses as in the mainly british influenced areas and they also differ in the use of casks for maturing.

I like it but it does lack the complexity or depth of a single malt whisky - or a pure pot still irish for that matter. I find rum lacking the trademark single malt qualities such as smell and taste impressions of butterscotch, gristy and sweet cereals, oily textures etc. Some of these qualities are to be found in bourbons too so for me rum is much more like a brandy - or a very floral brandy....

MrTattieHeid wrote:And have you read any Patrick O'Brian?

I didn't know the movie was based on his books Mr T. ! I haven't read any of his books - are they good?
Last edited by Mr Fjeld on Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:47 pm

Yes! Great naval adventure yarns. I had a friend who was keen on the technical stuff and nautical history--he was a consultant at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut--and he loved them. My mom couldn't care less about that stuff, was more interested in characters, and she read every one of them (there are twenty or so). I've read four or five of them, and have been meaning to get back to the series. Mom was very apprehensive when the movie (which is a pastiche of two of the novels) came out, but she loved it, and said Russell Crowe was perfect as Aubrey. She was more critical of the depiction of Maturin, which wasn't quite in keeping with how it was written, but she was willing to let that slide.

Real page-turners, with actual historical and political events as background. Start at the beginning.
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:04 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Yes! Great naval adventure yarns. I had a friend who was keen on the technical stuff and nautical history--he was a consultant at Mystic Seaport in Connecticut--and he loved them. My mom couldn't care less about that stuff, was more interested in characters, and she read every one of them (there are twenty or so). I've read four or five of them, and have been meaning to get back to the series. Mom was very apprehensive when the movie (which is a pastiche of two of the novels) came out, but she loved it, and said Russell Crowe was perfect as Aubrey. She was more critical of the depiction of Maturin, which wasn't quite in keeping with how it was written, but she was willing to let that slide.

Real page-turners, with actual historical and political events as background. Start at the beginning.

How can I not become interested in his books after what you write Mr T :D I have a few things to read first but I think I have to check out his books after that. Thanks!
Mr Fjeld

Postby Steve Rush » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:32 pm

ppz wrote:I know it's not a movie, but I'll say this one anyway: in episode 175 (season eight) of TV sitcom Frasier, Roz (Frasier's radio producer), comes to his flat with a "grown up problem" and she needs a drink. She proceeds to the kitchen and pours herself a whole tumbler of Glenfarclas 25, which, as Frasier ironically observes, is a wise choice compared to a less expensive 12-year old. After he calms her down she pours almost the entire glass of it down the kitchen sink :shock:

Don't want to be predantic but it was a bottle of Glenturret.

Another movie with a whisky cameo and indeed the cameo much more impressive that the actual film itself was 'Hollywood Homicide' with Harrison Ford, featuring a bottle of 16yr Lag.
Steve Rush
Bronze Member

Postby Jack Skellington » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:58 pm

In the film "Festival", following a group of performers at the Edinburgh festival, there is a close up of a Macallan 10 yr old on a counter which moves to a wideshot of someone popping up from behind the counter and taking a slug.

Turns out he is using it to numb the pain of a rather unsavoury sexual act involving two men and one of their "fists". (it is a funny British comedy honestly!!!)
Jack Skellington

Postby Jack Skellington » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:17 pm

Further to my post on Fishy Anagrams

Anal Calm anagram of Macallan, it all makes sense!!!!
Jack Skellington

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder