Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Islay Ale!

General chat and talk about whisky.

Islay Ale!

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:36 pm

Just wondering if any of you - particularly those who attended the whisky festival in Islay - have tasted Islay Ales? Looks like they've got quite a selection, especially for being a newly established (micro-) brewery!

http://www.islayales.com/

Oh, and I'd like to refer to the "whisky & beer-thread" too - do you know if there are/have been a peated ale around?

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 27, 2005 5:29 am

I had Islay Ales last October, Christian. They are decent, serviceable cask ales--nothing really special, but a most welcome addition to the pub scene in Islay. I had a chance to talk to one of the two partners; they are semiretired lads (at least one military) who were looking for something to do while waiting for their pensions. I heartily applaud their efforts, and think that they will improve their product with experience--they've only been at it for a year and a half.

I'm sure I've had a peated beer somewhere or other. I'm not sure it's a good idea, though. The only specific beer I can think of is Raftman, made by Unibroue in Quebec from whisky malt, but not peated, I don't think. Unibroue make some fantastic beers, but I didn't think this was one of them. Then again, they brew in the Belgian tradition, and I am not the best judge of that sort of thing.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:03 am

Hi there,

the German "Keeper of the Quaich" Prof. Walter Schobert, a well known whisky writer, expert and lecturer in Germany has a hand in the enterprise. How come? He bought a house on Islay, next to Bruichladdich and lives there part-time. I ask him next time he comes to my favourite whisky shop to do a tasting in December, if they use distillery malt and if they plan to use peated malt.

I tried their beer. I found the Nerabus to be the best. The Ardnave was too bitter for me but the Dun Hogs Head was a fine pint.

Cheers!

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Aug 27, 2005 4:23 pm

Kallaskander, your post causes me to think that the lads have already moved well past the stage I saw them at. They'd started in the spring last year and I think they spent the summer just trying to keep up with demand. Perhaps the winter season has allowed them to fine-tune a bit. I'm looking forward to seeing how they're doing.

Too bitter? Impossible! 8) I've never had a pint that was too bitter, or a dram that was too peaty. That's the good stuff! Traditional Scottish beers like Caledonian 80/ are malty with little bitterness, as hops aren't generally grown in Scotland. But for my money, there's nothing better than a Yorkshire bitter, such as Timothy Taylor's Landlord. There are good Scottish versions, like Deuchar's IPA and Orkney Red MacGregor.

Professor Schobert didn't buy the Abbotsford, did he?
Deactivated Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks Kallaskander and Mr T for your responses. I'm quite eager to try the ales of Islay and hope I'll get the chance in a not too distant future!

Skål!
Chrisitan
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:56 am

Hi there,

Mr T I love the English bitters but I loath (most) German beer for too much bitternes. The Ardnave reminded me of German beer, that is why I think it is the odd one out.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder