Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Training staff

General chat and talk about whisky.

Training staff

Postby musi » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:29 am

Hi everyone
Am new member here.My job is in the hotel industry and am having the position of a restaurant supervisor.So I like to do a training for my staff about the whisky not only in general but in details also I want them to get the best knowledge.So plz if u have any interesting facts about the whisky let me know.An interested in the premium brands especialy Chivas and Black Label.And what is the difference between the Jack Daniels and the other bourbons is it only that its made in Tennessee.I visited the site of Chivas,Black and Jack Daniels but not much help nothing that i don't know.Plz advice.If there is someone who is in this industry as well then I will b happy to share knowledge.Thank you.
Yoana
musi

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:57 am

Hi musi--as I suggested elsewhere, if you want your questions to be considered, you would do well to start a new topic, rather than tacking onto someone else's. And if you are looking for interesting facts about whisky, just read as much of this site as you can! You might even find some actual true facts here in the forums, if you don't mind wading through all our nonsense.
Deactivated Member

Postby bamber » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:41 am

musi,
If you want to learn about whisky, I would buy a book on the subject. Something like Jim Murray's Complete Book of Whisky - you can get it on amazon.co.uk for around £10.

You need to know about blends, single malts, bourbon and I guess Jack Daniel's to start with.

The Jack Daniels's (JD) question is tough to answer and very hard to understand unless you first know what bourbon is. Essentially JD undergoes something called 'the Lincoln county process' - google it. This changes the spirit in some way and is at the root of the controversy. Whether JD still qualifies as a bourbon or not is a subject of tedious debate. Bourbon does not have to be made in Kentucky to be bourbon. It is also made in Virginia.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder