Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Supermarket Deals

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby les taylor » Sun May 06, 2007 4:47 pm

Aberlour 10 £16.99 at Sainsbury's it would br rude not to.



:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Leither » Tue May 08, 2007 9:44 am

Also Aberlour 10 for £14.66 at the Co-op - was the same price a couple of months ago.
Leither
Gold Member
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Postby les taylor » Tue May 08, 2007 10:00 am

Leither wrote:Also Aberlour 10 for £14.66 at the Co-op - was the same price a couple of months ago.



Finally our Co-op has the same offer also Glen Moray at £14.99.


:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Leither » Tue May 08, 2007 10:14 am

Les, it's worth checking the Glen Moray - have never tried the no age statement but in the store I visit some of the 12yo finished in chenin blanc bottles often get mixed in the display. Have had a couple of these and they're gr8 value!
Leither
Gold Member
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Postby les taylor » Tue May 08, 2007 10:23 am

Leither wrote:Les, it's worth checking the Glen Moray - have never tried the no age statement but in the store I visit some of the 12yo finished in chenin blanc bottles often get mixed in the display. Have had a couple of these and they're gr8 value!




Thanks Leither I'll have a look. Although they put the malts behind the tills and you have to ask for them. So it might be difficult to root around I'll have to see if I can spot a 12.

:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Leither » Wed May 16, 2007 9:08 am

Fathers day sales start today at Tesco! Highlights for me include:

Talisker 18 £31.19 - best deal for me so 2 in the basket straight away!
Ardbeg 10 £21.17
Caol Ila 12 £21.58

Many other good deals including Talisker 10 still at £20, other discounted lines are HP12, Glenmo 10 (including finishes) and 15, Balvenie 12 and Bowmore 12. In fact from what I can see most are on offer.

Do note tho that you're best going to one of the larger 24 hour superstores who will stock more malts. Even better is registering for home delivery as this will show what your local store stocks.

I expect Asda etc to start similar offers by the weekend.

As Les says... it would be rude not to.......
Leither
Gold Member
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Postby les taylor » Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 am

Leither wrote:Fathers day sales start today at Tesco! Highlights for me include:

Talisker 18 £31.19 - best deal for me so 2 in the basket straight away!
Ardbeg 10 £21.17
Caol Ila 12 £21.58

Many other good deals including Talisker 10 still at £20, other discounted lines are HP12, Glenmo 10 (including finishes) and 15, Balvenie 12 and Bowmore 12. In fact from what I can see most are on offer.

Do note tho that you're best going to one of the larger 24 hour superstores who will stock more malts. Even better is registering for home delivery as this will show what your local store stocks.

I expect Asda etc to start similar offers by the weekend.

As Les says... it would be rude not to.......


You Guys this quote is turning up everywhere. Still makes me chuckle.
Thanks for the info Leither I'll have to slide out and see what I can find.


:thumbsup:
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed May 16, 2007 12:26 pm

Les : "I'll have to slide out and see what I can find. "

All together now: " IT WOULD BE RUDE NOT TO!!!!!"
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK

Postby les taylor » Wed May 16, 2007 12:27 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Les : "I'll have to slide out and see what I can find. "

All together now: " IT WOULD BE RUDE NOT TO!!!!!"




:P :P
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed May 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Actually Les, everytime I'm in a supermarket nowadays, and see a great whisky deal, I swear I hear this little voice in my head that wasn't there before!

It makes me spend money I shouldn't be spending. After all, I was raised not to be rude...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK

Postby les taylor » Thu May 24, 2007 10:29 am

Just been into Sainsbury's they had Scapa 14 £8 off at £19.99. Thinking about it now I should have picked up a couple.



:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby fishboy » Thu May 24, 2007 11:28 am

I've heard that not taking advantage of these sort of offers is considered the height of bad manners.

C'mon Les - get yourself back there - It would be rude not to!!

:D
fishboy
Silver Member
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:42 pm
Location: Angus, Scotland

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu May 24, 2007 1:04 pm

Give the guy a break! This is the first time he hasn't written that famous phrase!

but I agree it would be...(fill in the missing words!)

Seriously Les, that little signature tune of yours must have inspired me to buy at least 4 bottles of late!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK

Postby martin grant » Thu May 24, 2007 1:19 pm

les taylor wrote:Just been into Sainsbury's they had Scapa 14 £8 off at £19.99. Thinking about it now I should have picked up a couple.



:)


I'll be heading to Sainsbury's tomorrow for some of that. As others have mentioned, I was also raised with an emphasis on good manners. Would hate to think Les thought I was being rude
martin grant
Gold Member
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: perthshire

Postby DramMeister » Sat May 26, 2007 8:55 pm

'Popped' to Morrisons today.
They had Tormore 12 for £14.99 - I've not had a whisky from this distillery before but I still resisted. Is it any good?

But be warned - Ledaig NAS is on sale there for less.Image

I made that mistake once.
DramMeister
Silver Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Leics, England

Postby martin grant » Mon May 28, 2007 10:53 am

DramMeister wrote:'Popped' to Morrisons today.
They had Tormore 12 for £14.99 - I've not had a whisky from this distillery before but I still resisted. Is it any good?

But be warned - Ledaig NAS is on sale there for less.Image

I made that mistake once.


Thanks DramMeister!!!!

Now I have a dilemma. I'm yet to try this (in)famous Ledaig NAS. Do I just bite the bullet and try it while on offer, or just accept the general consensus and stay well clear? :?:
martin grant
Gold Member
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: perthshire

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon May 28, 2007 12:13 pm

Never tried it - but never heard great things. Is your curiosity worth £14.99 when for an extra 6 quid you could pick up an Ardbeg 10 from Waitrose etc?
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK

Postby Leither » Mon May 28, 2007 1:04 pm

Out of curiousity I succumbed to a deal on Ledaig last year and managed to force down about a third of it! :yuk:

The remainder (and I'm being 100% serious here!) now sits beside my stock of pesticide control and weedkiller in the shed! The 1st and probably only malt so far that I really cannot imagine anyone liking.

Happy to send out a sample or two!

Tormore is not bad at all. I tried this recently at a bar with it being malt of the month, softly honeyed and fruity and I would say a typical speysider but nothing very exciting for me - but certainly worth £15 IMHO.

Anyway, other deals - Aberlour A'bunadh £25 in Waitrose, also Aberlour 10 at £16. IWBRNT!
Leither
Gold Member
 
Posts: 579
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2006 1:28 pm

Postby martin grant » Mon May 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Cheers for the tip Leither. Perhaps I'll pass on this one. I got enough PathClear in my garage already!
martin grant
Gold Member
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: perthshire

Postby Mustardhead » Mon May 28, 2007 2:13 pm

martin grant wrote:Now I have a dilemma. I'm yet to try this (in)famous Ledaig NAS. Do I just bite the bullet and try it while on offer, or just accept the general consensus and stay well clear? :?:


It's perfectly drinkable stuff. It might not be Lagavulin 16 or Ardbeg 10 but it isn't pretending to be. Go on, try a bottle :)
Mustardhead
Gold Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, UK

Postby DramMeister » Mon May 28, 2007 8:41 pm

No MH it's nasty. Don't do it.

I'm now temped by the Tormore thanks.
DramMeister
Silver Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Leics, England

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon May 28, 2007 11:25 pm

IWBRNT!

Love it!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member
 
Posts: 1945
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Reigate, UK

Postby Mustardhead » Tue May 29, 2007 1:02 am

DramMeister wrote:No MH it's nasty. Don't do it.

I'm now temped by the Tormore thanks.


Go on, just one bottle of LSF, you know it makes sense :P

As for the Tormore .... IWBRNT ... I'd grab one at that price.
Mustardhead
Gold Member
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Gloucestershire, UK

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 5:21 pm

Mustardhead wrote:Go on, just one bottle of LSF, you know it makes sense :P




It makes as much sense as going into the garden naked, covering yourself head to foot in honey, jam or whatever food substance fetish you subscribe to, and whacking a hornets nest with a large stick whilst crying aloud "All wasps are ba$$%%ds!"
:insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :headbang: :headbang: :insane: :insane: :insane:
Deactivated Member
 

Postby les taylor » Wed May 30, 2007 5:24 pm

Crieftan wrote:
Mustardhead wrote:Go on, just one bottle of LSF, you know it makes sense :P




It makes as much sense as going into the garden naked, covering yourself head to foot in honey, jam or whatever food substance fetish you subscribe to, and whacking a hornets nest with a large stick whilst crying aloud "All wasps are ba$$%%ds!"
:insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :headbang: :headbang: :insane: :insane: :insane:




Criefy and your point is. :wink:

Criefy have we had an update on the criefy takes a chance thread. I'd love to hear your report.

:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 pm

les taylor wrote:
Crieftan wrote:
Mustardhead wrote:Go on, just one bottle of LSF, you know it makes sense :P




It makes as much sense as going into the garden naked, covering yourself head to foot in honey, jam or whatever food substance fetish you subscribe to, and whacking a hornets nest with a large stick whilst crying aloud "All wasps are ba$$%%ds!"
:insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :headbang: :headbang: :insane: :insane: :insane:




Criefy and your point is. :wink:
:shock: Wha'? Let me explain:---
:insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :insane: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :headbang: :headbang: :insane: :insane: :insane:


les taylor wrote:Criefy have we had an update on the criefy takes a chance thread. I'd love to hear your report.

:)


Yup - put a brief message on when we got back. Once I work out how to post photies I'll stick a couple on. :)
Deactivated Member
 

Postby martin grant » Thu May 31, 2007 9:30 am

After giving it some thought, I now plan on popping into Morrisons at some point today and picking up some of our favourite Ledaig. If I don't try new whiskies, I'm never going to learn anything am I? When better than to try something new when it's on promotion?

It can't be that bad, can it?
martin grant
Gold Member
 
Posts: 652
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:34 pm
Location: perthshire

Postby les taylor » Thu May 31, 2007 9:33 am

martin grant wrote:After giving it some thought, I now plan on popping into Morrisons at some point today and picking up some of our favourite Ledaig. If I don't try new whiskies, I'm never going to learn anything am I? When better than to try something new when it's on promotion?

It can't be that bad, can it?




Go Martin Go. It would be interesting to hear another viewpoint.



:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 31, 2007 1:18 pm

my local coop has aberlour 10 for 14.99 at the moment

got a bottle for myself


ash .
Deactivated Member
 

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 31, 2007 6:36 pm

martin grant wrote:If I don't try new whiskies, I'm never going to learn anything am I? When better than to try something new when it's on promotion?

It can't be that bad, can it?


:insane:
Quite right too - but don't say you haven't been warned. As least it's not the fabled LSF :yuk:
Deactivated Member
 

Postby DramMeister » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:28 pm

martin grant wrote:It can't be that bad, can it?


Unfortunately it can.
Run away while you still can.
Image

I've still got half a bottle at the back of the cupboard it's been there for 2 years. I can't bring myself to pour it down the drain but I can't drink it either. I might use it as BBQ lighter this year.

Good Luck
DramMeister
Silver Member
 
Posts: 283
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:25 pm
Location: Houghton on the Hill, Leics, England

Postby Scotchio » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:32 am

Bottlings do change over time so it may be ok. I noticed LFW had a review from a customer that said it was a grower and related it to Bladnoch and Laddie. Seems an odd reference,fungal infections are growers also :shock:
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby les taylor » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:40 pm

Scotchio wrote:Bottlings do change over time so it may be ok. I noticed LFW had a review from a customer that said it was a grower and related it to Bladnoch and Laddie. Seems an odd reference,fungal infections are growers also :shock:




They've been advertising some stuff on telly lately to deal with that. I can't remember what it is though. It's not wartner it's some other stuff.

:)
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

Postby Scotchio » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:50 pm

les taylor wrote:
Scotchio wrote:Bottlings do change over time so it may be ok. I noticed LFW had a review from a customer that said it was a grower and related it to Bladnoch and Laddie. Seems an odd reference,fungal infections are growers also :shock:




They've been advertising some stuff on telly lately to deal with that. I can't remember what it is though. It's not wartner it's some other stuff.

:)


Capadonitch ?
Scotchio
Gold Member
 
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:06 pm
Location: devon uk

Postby les taylor » Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:17 pm

Scotchio wrote:
les taylor wrote:
Scotchio wrote:Bottlings do change over time so it may be ok. I noticed LFW had a review from a customer that said it was a grower and related it to Bladnoch and Laddie. Seems an odd reference,fungal infections are growers also :shock:




They've been advertising some stuff on telly lately to deal with that. I can't remember what it is though. It's not wartner it's some other stuff.

:)


Capadonitch ?



Curanail or Canesten AF Powder.

How bizarre is this :o & :shock:
User avatar
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member
 
Posts: 4943
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:16 am
Location: Gunwalloe

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder