Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Supermarket Deals

General chat and talk about whisky.

Postby Scotchio » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:30 pm

Very, serves me right for trying to be clever. I just ordered some Sig Ledaig 1993 13y/o, LFW suggest it's pretty good. I'm hoping so, cant see why they should be making bad whisky it's still the same equipment that produced some lovely stuff in the 70s. There again Burn Stewart do seem to have something of a Midas touch in reverse. I tried an old bottling of Deanston recently that was lovely,miles removed from the current stuff appears to be.
Scotchio
Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:21 pm

Ledaig NAS £14.49 in Morrisons
May I strongly recommend you all stay well clear!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:27 pm

martin grant wrote:After giving it some thought, I now plan on popping into Morrisons at some point today and picking up some of our favourite Ledaig. If I don't try new whiskies, I'm never going to learn anything am I? When better than to try something new when it's on promotion?

It can't be that bad, can it?

Yes it can. Tobermory distillery has released some serious tripe.

If in doubt, why not go to a whisky shop, plenty of those in Perthshire, and get miniatures?

At least you won't get stuck with stuff you could start your car with that way.

On a more positive note, Tesco has some offers which run out tomorrow.

There is Yamazaki 10 for £20 which is excellent and like a lowland scotch.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:46 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:
martin grant wrote:After giving it some thought, I now plan on popping into Morrisons at some point today and picking up some of our favourite Ledaig. If I don't try new whiskies, I'm never going to learn anything am I? When better than to try something new when it's on promotion?

It can't be that bad, can it?

Yes it can. Tobermory distillery has released some serious tripe.

If in doubt, why not go to a whisky shop, plenty of those in Perthshire, and get miniatures?

At least you won't get stuck with stuff you could start your car with that way.

On a more positive note, Tesco has some offers which run out tomorrow.

There is Yamazaki 10 for £20 which is excellent and like a lowland scotch.

Bruce will there be new deals starting on the 6th for the lead up to fathers day?
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30 am

Makes sense. There are a series of great whiskies available for £5 or £6 off that end today
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:49 am

Yes, more Tesco bargains from tomorrow hopefully - I think we have just seen their pre-sale before some more fathers day bargains kick in.

I have a couple of pound off vouchers plus '£10 off a £70 shop' with my clubcard points.

Les, IWBRNT go to Tesco!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:18 pm

Leither thanks for the information I was wondering whether to go now or hold for bigger and better offers. Looks like the latter . Thanks mate I will go this week.

:)
les taylor

Postby martin grant » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:58 pm

Some of my favourite offers from Tesco noted below:

Glenmo 10 year old £5 off to £19.98
Fiddich 12 year old £5 off to £18.78
Talisker 10 year old £5 off to £19.97
HP12 £5.20 off to £20.78
Laphroig QC £6.00 off to £23.74.

Offers run from today until Tuesday 19th June 2007

If you're reading this son, the Laphroig deal looks specially good to me!
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:55 pm

les taylor wrote:Leither thanks for the information I was wondering whether to go now or hold for bigger and better offers. Looks like the latter . Thanks mate I will go this week.

Why not go now and later?
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:03 pm

I find it rather amusing that I can maybe find about 5 single malts in a given supermarket but at prices equivalent to small mom&pop shops. If I am going to pay the obscene markup I'll pay it to the little guy rather than some corporate idiot who lives 1500 miles away.

As a comparison, the supermarkets want $48-50 for the Macallan 12 and $30 for the Glen Moray 12. I can get the Macallan 12 for between $36 and 40 consistently at liquor stores with the occasional sale down to $32. The Glen Moray I can usually get down to $20-23 from liquor stores. Maybe the problem is that the supermarket "gurus" living so far out of market don't know that they're not being even remotely competitive, especially considering the number of liquor stores in California. You'd at least think they would look at Trader Joe's.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby les taylor » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:25 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:
les taylor wrote:Leither thanks for the information I was wondering whether to go now or hold for bigger and better offers. Looks like the latter . Thanks mate I will go this week.

Bruce good idea but not very practical. Unless you're embarassed about doing a run and grab raid on aisle 17.

les taylor

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:03 am

les taylor wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:

Bruce good idea but not very practical. Unless you're embarassed about doing a run and grab raid on aisle 17.

Tesco's is 5 minutes from my door so I'm not bothered. The offers are finished now anyway. :dead:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:49 am

BruceCrichton wrote:
les taylor wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:

Tesco's is 5 minutes from my door so I'm not bothered. The offers are finished now anyway. :dead:

I have to go into Dunstable for our local Tesco. Should be new and improved offers from today. Watch this space.

les taylor

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:02 am

martin grant wrote:Some of my favourite offers from Tesco noted below:

Glenmo 10 year old £5 off to £19.98
Fiddich 12 year old £5 off to £18.78
Talisker 10 year old £5 off to £19.97
HP12 £5.20 off to £20.78
Laphroig QC £6.00 off to £23.74.

Offers run from today until Tuesday 19th June 2007

If you're reading this son, the Laphroig deal looks specially good to me!

i went into my local tesco last night and they have

glenfiddich 18yr old for £26.00ish, about £8 off

might call back for one today

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:41 am

As noted above, Tesco deals which ran until 5th June are now being continued to the 19th - best ones for me being Talisker 18 at £31 and Ardbeg 10 at £21.

Just over £50 to buy in my mind probably the best 2 OB malts on the market just now is a great deal.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:07 pm

Went into Sainsbury's last night "for something completely different"...and couldn't resist a glance at the malt section(surprise surprise)

Ended up picking up a Glenfarclas 12 for £14.99!!

they had a few, too....a row of bold blue tins!

As Les sez...It would not only have been RUDE not to, but also mad, crackers, treason, and just plain SILLY!!Even cheaper than Aberlour 10!

I must say, I find there's not a lot to choose in pure drinking pleasure between standard OB's of the "big three" sherried speysiders...the 'Farclas 12 is perhaps a touch more complex than the Aberlour and Macallan 10. But the Macallan is consistently the priciest!!...but no better IMHO.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:08 pm

PS, Thanks Leither for the Tesco tip. I'm after those 2 right now!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:14 pm

RB the Glenfarclas for £15 I've got to get one of them.

les taylor

Postby Leither » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:37 pm

Cracking deal on the 'farclas 12 - unfortunately their Scottish stores do not stock this :cry: . I'll have to stick with Aberlour 10 on offer elsewhere.

RB, you're spot on with Aberlour and 'Farclas being far better value than the similar Macallan.

Tell us how you find the Glenfarclas 12 - I prefer the Aberlour 10 to 'farclas at same age but prefer Farclas 15 a great deal over the similarly aged Aberlour, but maybe not a fair comparison as 15yo Farclas comes in at 46%.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:09 pm

My birthday yesterday. Picked up Ardbeg 10 for £21.17? at Tesco ,Glenmorangie 12 Golden Rum Cask from Sainsburys down from £29.99 to £22.49 very nice and just noticed in paper Glen Moray NAS 1 litre bottle in Lidl for £16.99 from 7th June .Also got £40 worth of Oddbins vouchers from my better half ,she is lovely! Great day
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby ccrank.freeserve.co.uk » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:25 pm

reggaeblues .Great price on farclas 12.Blue and white striped tin was exclusive to Sainsburys and travel retail .Hung about up here for about 2years .I bought the last 2 from my local Sainsburys in December for £19.99 . Much prefer it to the 10 (and the 105 if im honest! am i allowed to say that? )
ccrank.freeserve.co.uk

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:44 pm

Leither - the last Aberlour 10 I had was a gift, and much better than i'd remembered it. Tried this GF 12 last night, but the phone rang so I didn't get too analytical, just found myself enjoying a classic straight ahead sherried dram with my conversation that was all I would expect it to be. A little stronger ABV than its rivals. Can't say it was better or worse than the Aberlour or Mac 10( the old 12 WAS good, I recall!).

Of course, the GF 15 is a step up. Recently bought a mini. It's stronger again, as you note - 46%, which I reckon is a good strength. Altogether a more "austere" dram with greater depth. One to really savour, whereas the 12 is more of an everyday dram to just relax with.

Haven't tried the Aberlour 15, tho' i remember being poured a huge dram of Aberlour 12 from a litre bottle once, and enjoying it immensely...richer than the 10 as i recall.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:53 pm

Well I checked our Tesco and they had Glenmorangie Portwood on as well at £19.97.

No Talisker 18 though.

les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:06 pm

No Talisker 18?? Boohoo!

How rude of them not to!!!!!!!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:57 am

RB - I defo agree that GF15 is not an everyday malt, I keep the supermarket bargains for that.

Leaflet came through from Morrisons last night - fathers day deals from them are Bushmills 10 at £15, and Aberlour 10 at same price.

I've got an Aberlour in reserve but IWBRNT pick up a Bushmills as I like their BlackBush.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:49 am

Hmmm. I actually prefer the Blackbush!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:33 pm

Yes I think the Blackbush is far better than the 10yo too...
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Leither » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:23 pm

Thanks guys, I remember the Blackbush being spicy and sherried with a high malt content, compared to the Bushmills being fairly uninteresting in comparison - so will stick to Blackbush at £15 from Asda.

Thankfully I have a bar near me with an Irish owner (from memory Westmeath) who has some Irish in stock, as well as some poteen!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:41 pm

black bottle 10yo £9.99 @ morrisons
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:24 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:
Haven't tried the Aberlour 15, tho' i remember being poured a huge dram of Aberlour 12 from a litre bottle once, and enjoying it immensely...richer than the 10 as i recall.

If you can get the 15, then do so. It's exceptionally rich and smooth and worth the extra money over the 10 year old.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:35 am

Thanks for the tip BC.

meanwhile, back on topic, last week I stopped at a24 hr Tescos at midnight to view the deals with intent to purchase...it closed at 10!

tonight i stopped at a 24 hr Tesco's in Sarf London at midnight...they stopped serving "licker" at 11!!

Not having much luck over here!

Three weeks ago i stopped at a 24 hr Tesco out of town , at way past midnight, and picked up a Talisker 18 for under £32

go figure...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:46 am

Reggaeblues wrote:
tonight i stopped at a 24 hr Tesco's in Sarf London at midnight...they stopped serving "licker" at 11!!

that really annoys me, once drove to london and arrived late, found a 24hr supmarket and they wouldnt serve alcohol :evil:

i mean whats the point of staying open 24hrs if you wont sell booze

ash .
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:06 am

ash005 wrote:
Reggaeblues wrote:

that really annoys me, once drove to london and arrived late, found a 24hr supmarket and they wouldnt serve alcohol :evil:

i mean whats the point of staying open 24hrs if you wont sell booze

ash .

ash you might need some washing powder or bin liners. These emergencies can happen at any time of the day or night. It has to be said though that with the stash most of us have. The lack of late night shopping is not a real problem unless you are going on somewhere else. I'm learning to always have Plan B in place.

That is if I travel anywhere to always have a little something in your luggage. It would be rude not to.

les taylor

Postby Reggaeblues » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:18 am

I think it has to do with local councils and the licences they grant. I bought my post midnight Talisker in a "civilised" rural aea, whereas last night i wzs in a neighborhood where I wouldn't want to encourage easily available alcohol 24/7!

Makes sense, dammit!!

didn't stop me sampling an Ardmore OMC 12 YO when I got home...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:22 am

les taylor wrote:......... I'm learning to always have Plan B in place.

That is if I travel anywhere to always have a little something in your luggage. It would be rude not to.

Ditto ... I always have something with me too .... or if I'm traveling by air I will always make the most of Airport Shopping :wink:

I went to a Wedding in Germany last month and had 2 bottles in tow as we were staying in a village in the middle of no where... I was unsure about how well stocked the Hotel we were staying would be .... needless to say I brough both bottles home with me :roll:

They had a decent selection ... did not have too much over the weekend but 7 whiskies (Mostly Lagavulin 16yo) which were added to the room bill cost 21 Euro :shock: I think the charged the same no matter what we oicked but there was no reall expensive stuff there at the same time.

I should of made the most of it if I had bothered to ask the prices :cry:

Anyway it was a great week-end :smoke:
irishwhiskeychaser

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder