Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

These parents must really love whisky

General chat and talk about whisky.

These parents must really love whisky

Postby patrick dicaprio » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:29 pm

A Swedish couple have won the right after a court battle to name their daughter Edradour, after a Scottish whisky brand, media reported on Friday.

Initially the tax office, which in Sweden registers the names for newborns, refused the name, saying it was too closely linked to an alcoholic drink.

But the girl's parents, Magnus and Maria Ekloef, persisted, taking the case to court in their home town of Soederhamn, on the east coast of Sweden.

The Ekloefs argued that Edradour is also a beautiful town in Scotland, and said they had been charmed by the place as well as the local tipple.

"I'm interested in whisky, but this is more about the place," Magnus Ekloef told the Haelsinge-Kurir daily.

The Edradour distillery claims to be the smallest in Scotland, producing a Highland single malt whisky with the efforts of just three men. -- AFP

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby ikendal » Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:33 pm

what a great idea, I have a child due on the 4th March 2006(same day as whisky live!), and I have joked about naming the child based on a whisky related names. (see the thread - great suggestions from Paul A Jellis and MrTattieHeid).

Based on Edradour generosity, (they gave the couple a case of whisky) I might call the child Ardbeg.
ikendal
Bronze Member

Postby Iain » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:30 pm

"Based on Edradour generosity, (they gave the couple a case of whisky) I might call the child Ardbeg."

A good enough reason to avoid the name Loch Dhu!

I believe one of the Grants of Glenfiddich is called Glen. That must cause some confusion...

ps: I take it that the name of the child was not influenced by the number of men whose efforts are required to produce the whisky????
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Tue Oct 04, 2005 4:23 am

ps: I take it that the name of the child was not influenced by the number of men whose efforts are required to produce the whisky????

:D :lol:

I hope not. Imagine if you named your child after a distillery that was fully automated! :wink:
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:49 pm

Of couse, you could just call the kid "Petri"... ;)

I wanted to name our new sheepdog puppy "Arfbeg", but the women in the family vetoed it immediately...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:14 pm

You could also call it "Shortie" after the "distillery dog" .

Skål!
Christian
Mr Fjeld
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder