Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Flavor Ravors

General chat and talk about whisky.

Flavor Ravors

Postby Iain » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:28 pm

I found this link over at http://www.peatfreak.com. I'm adding it here, only because I know how much Mr T enjoys the antics of those "Wacky Whisky Mavericks" at Easy Drinking, and it will be "fun and funky" to read his response :)

http://www.responsesource.com/releases/ ... 03&hilite=
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:08 pm

Hey! Is that my chain being yanked?

You're right--press releases like this make me want to vomit. What a load of rubbish! Almost as bad as the crap Macallan have been shoveling at us all these years.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :? :P :P

Nine out of ten smileys agree!
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:19 am

Notwithstanding the marketing guff, Mr T, have you tasted any of the JMR range?

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:49 am

I have not. First of all, their whole "whisky for dummies" posture makes me want not to try it. And press releases like the above, full of utter crap about "breaking the rules" and other complete nonsense, reinforce my impression that they are more interested in marketing than they are in whisky. And finally, call me a malt snob, but I'm not at this time particularly interested in blends and vatted malts, anyway.

I wish to be plain that I am not trashing their product, which I haven't tasted, and which by all accounts is very nice. But they are plainly not marketing it to me, because I am not a dummy.

Opposing viewpoints humbly respected. That's mine.
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:16 am

Fair enough, no trouble at all.

I was just wondering whether your opinion of them was reinforced with a dislike for the taste of their whiskies also.

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby kallaskander » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:56 am

Hi there,

after reading this here, I posted that http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopi ... 9923#29923

there.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:57 pm

T, I agree with you on what may be their condescending approach to veteran Scotch lovers...but they deserve some credit for trying to bring new people in the door. I'll be trying their whiskies next week at Whisky Fest...and will post something after that...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:40 pm

I suppose you're right, but there are certain aspects of their promotional attitude that just rub me the wrong way. But it's not anything I obsess about--I'm not about to start up a blog titled "JonMark&Robbo Resistance" or anything. It's the auto manufacturers pushing the same attitude that really gets the steam pouring out of my ears. In the US, Daimler/Chrysler is the worst offender, with tag lines like "If we break the laws of physics, will we be penalized?" (if you try to break the laws of physics, you will wrap your stupid Viper around a tree and die, you moron) and "If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up way too much space" (excuse me? who's taking up too much space?). And it bothers me that the American consumer is oblivious to the fact that corporate America has cynically co-opted the rock'n'roll attitude, the natural rebelliousness of youth, and uses these hot-button words like "freedom" and "rebel" and "break the rules", for no purpose other than profit, without regard for the fact that said attitude, wholly assimilated into the culture, undermines civic values and promotes irresponsible behavior. Dammit, kiddies, you don't buy rebellion! These clowns selling you this crap are the very people you are supposed to be rebelling against! And that, folks, is why JMR rub me the wrong way.

Okay, so I do obsess about it. You happy now, Iain? I'm going to go wipe the foam off my mouth now! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:44 pm

Oh, and one last thing--the proper way to get people to appreciate adult pleasures is to encourage them to grow up, not to infantilize your product.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:10 am

(if you try to break the laws of physics, you will wrap your stupid Viper around a tree and die, you moron)

:D :lol: :D :lol: :D

By the way Tattieheid, I feel exactly the way you feel about the phrase 'extreme' in sports, hedgehog design and under arm deodorant.

It's rarely extreme and is much over used. It irritates me no end. (not to be confused with what Opus* of Bloom County said when he was hiding in the bathroom; "The Tidy Bowl is irritating my buttocks")

*Opus is the penguin.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:23 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:I suppose you're right, but there are certain aspects of their promotional attitude that just rub me the wrong way. But it's not anything I obsess about--I'm not about to start up a blog titled "JonMark&Robbo Resistance" or anything. It's the auto manufacturers pushing the same attitude that really gets the steam pouring out of my ears. In the US, Daimler/Chrysler is the worst offender, with tag lines like "If we break the laws of physics, will we be penalized?" (if you try to break the laws of physics, you will wrap your stupid Viper around a tree and die, you moron) and "If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up way too much space" (excuse me? who's taking up too much space?). And it bothers me that the American consumer is oblivious to the fact that corporate America has cynically co-opted the rock'n'roll attitude, the natural rebelliousness of youth, and uses these hot-button words like "freedom" and "rebel" and "break the rules", for no purpose other than profit, without regard for the fact that said attitude, wholly assimilated into the culture, undermines civic values and promotes irresponsible behavior. Dammit, kiddies, you don't buy rebellion! These clowns selling you this crap are the very people you are supposed to be rebelling against! And that, folks, is why JMR rub me the wrong way.

Okay, so I do obsess about it. You happy now, Iain? I'm going to go wipe the foam off my mouth now! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Well said, my friend! The dumbest commercial I've seen recently is for the mobile phone service with a CEO bragging about how his new phone plan lets him "stick it to the man" -- and being reminded that he "is the man". Of course, this is a sign of a society where rebellion now means putting holes in your cheeks, tongues, and God knows what else...turning your ball cap around to the side, and other fashion faux pas. If the young adults of this generation had half the sense of their counterparts in the late 60's (and I'm just a few years too young to have been there...I just got the disco revolution), we'd have a real rebellion on our hands right now!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:15 am

Actually, I like that commercial for that reason--it points up the absurdity of that particular value in our culture. Instead of crowing about how tying yourself to their service gives you the freedom to stick it to the man, or some such crap, they have a laugh about the whole idea.

A sense of humor, and in particular not taking yourself too seriously, goes a long way with me. But that doesn't necessarily mean being irresponsible, or not taking responsibility seriously. I think purveyors of alcoholic beverages (and automobiles) need to be particularly careful about that (he said, neatly bringing everything back around to the topic at hand).
Deactivated Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:27 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Oh, and one last thing--the proper way to get people to appreciate adult pleasures is to encourage them to grow up, not to infantilize your product.

one thing people dont think about is that those who arent ready for whisky arent going to drink it because of a title like "the rich spicy one." i can only speak for myself but i doubt that very many whisky enthusiasts started because they were drink lite beer and just decided one day, "you know that bottle of whisky is called the peaty one so maybe i will give it a try." for myself it was a gradual process. what brought it on? getting older and seeking more "adult" pleasures in my drinking. so i think you hit it 100% on the head.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:07 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:A sense of humor, and in particular not taking yourself too seriously, goes a long way with me. But that doesn't necessarily mean being irresponsible, or not taking responsibility seriously. I think purveyors of alcoholic beverages (and automobiles) need to be particularly careful about that (he said, neatly bringing everything back around to the topic at hand).

I agree with you completely on that...and there's a big part of me that wishes broadcasters in the U.S. had kept their integrity and not started to accept liquor ads. No matter how often they sneak in the "drink responsibly" message...it still gets lost in all the hype of ads that look and sound just like beer ads...promising you all the women you could want and an amazing life...if only you'd drink their beer. Not too get too political here, but if one were to substitute "wear this bomb belt" for "drink our beer" -- you could practically use the same ads to recruit terrorists in certain parts of the world.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:11 pm

It all depends on your idea of "paradise", doesn't it? I'll bet those aren't virgins in the Coors Light ads....
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:43 pm

Probably not, but I would be willing to investigate further with the twins! ;)

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder