Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

HAS ANYONE TRIED J&B-6oC?

General chat and talk about whisky.

HAS ANYONE TRIED J&B-6oC?

Postby ajit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:10 pm

Im student at the University of Derby currently working on a graphic design project for J&B's new whisky J&B-6oC, and how it can be marketed towards a younger generation who perceive the Scotch Whiskey category as unappealing.

I was just wondering if

Anyone has tasted this new blend?

If so, how does it taste?

If not, would you try it?

Any feed back you may be able to offer would be much appreciated.
ajit

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:13 pm

I have not tried this whisky and have no plans to do so. I find whisky appealing - hence I post on this site. Therefore this product is really not aimed at me.

Chilled whisky has less flavour than room temperature whisky, so I would run a mile from whisky that was supposed to be chilled.

Personally, I can't understand the logic of trying to sell whisky to people who find whisky unappealing - I would try to sell them something that they would find appealing.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:18 pm

Hi there,

well then, Nick you are not the right man to work in a marketing departement, I´m afraid. :wink:

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby ajit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:21 pm

-6oC refers to the chill filtration process used when making the whisky, not the serving temperature.
ajit

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:36 pm

ajit wrote:-6oC refers to the chill filtration process used when making the whisky, not the serving temperature.

Apologies - must have been confusing it with a whisky designed to be drunk straight from the freezer. Anyway, all the chill filtration process achieves is to make whisky clear at cold temperature (it would always be clear at room temperature). The process also removes flavour. As I said above - why set out to sell flavour-free whisky to people who don't like whisky? Why not sell them something nicer that they do like?
Deactivated Member

Postby ajit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:47 pm

Thanks for your comments Nick

I understand where you are coming from and tend to agree with you
but as i designer it's my job to sell this product.

I myself am not really a whisky drinker, i find it quite harsh. However doing this brief has intrigued me to try this new blend, and maybe therefore it may do the same to my target audience, and in turn introduce them to the traditional whisky.

Also this whisky is aimed towards lager drinks, and Jack Daniels and vodka when it comes to spirits and not really towards those who prefer an aged hp.

But its interesting to hear what u think.

Thanks
ajit

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:54 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm not snobby. If people like lager then that is fine by me. But I would probably be trying to sell them lager rather than whisky.

Jack Daniels is an interesting one. Essentially, it is a very traditional drink which has tried to cultivate a craft manufacture image. It is very strongly flavoured and very sweet. I can't understand how it ever became an icon for rock and roll.
Deactivated Member

Postby kallaskander » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:48 pm

Hi there,

very interesting. There is a "Richy" here in this forum who is concerned with the same product. In essence I posted to him that it was tried before and failed miserably.

The thread is http://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2982

We should combine the discussion in one thread.

Greetings
kallaskander
kallaskander
Double Gold Member

Postby ajit » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:32 pm

Will check it out thanks.
ajit

Postby corbuso » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:17 pm

I have seen the bottle of -6°C butI have not tried it and no wishes to buy one. If someone offers me to taste it I will do it, otherwise not.

When you look at the bootle, everything looks like a bottle of V(W)odka or like an alcopops: the design of the bottle and the colour.
Also, none of the "common" symbols of whisky are present or only in small characters, like Whisky, Scotch or any scottish icon (e.g. thistle, image of a glen or of a distillery).

To me, it is everything else than whisky.

Jack Daniels is very different: it has a strong image and origin claim (Tennesse) and looks like a whiskey. It does also taste very nicely, but like any US whiskeys, it is not directly comparable with scotch whiskys.
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder