Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Good First Bourbon for a Scotch Guy?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Good First Bourbon for a Scotch Guy?

Postby MaltMate » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:59 am

I'm a seasoned scotch drinker looking to try a bourbon, and I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for a good first experience. I'm a bit hesitant about bourbons because they're usually described as very sweet, and the sweetest I like my scotch is Aberlour, Old Pulteney, or Laphroaig Quarter-cask. Generally, I like a whisky with woody spice and good complexity, and favour smoke over cereal. I avoid so-called "smooth" scotches. There's nothing wrong with Glenlivet, but it's just not for me.

In Ontario we have a government monopoly that keeps whisky (and whiskey) insanely expensive, so, I'm not inclined to just grab a random bourbon to try it out. My options are Knob Creek, Jack Daniels (white label?), Bookers, Blantons, Bakers, Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, Elijah Craig, Bulleit, Jim Beam White Label, Wild Turkey, George Dickel, Four Roses, and Red Stag.

Any thoughts?
MaltMate

Re: Good First Bourbon for a Scotch Guy?

Postby peergynt323 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:47 am

Old Forester for sure. It's got a delicacy about it and some real bite as well. Great balance. I always have a bottle around.
peergynt323
Gold Member

Re: Good First Bourbon for a Scotch Guy?

Postby Ganga » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Jack is Tennessee Whiskey and has a charcoal / anthracite character from the filtering process. Not sure that that is what you are looking for. Dickel is similar profile. I suggest going up a notch or two if available instead of the standard versions.

I find Four Roses to have a nice rye bite to it (I like rye) and come through with some wood spices. I prefer the small batch to the single barrel and the lower end version. Wild Turkey 101 is underrated. I don't think it has as much spice as the Four Roses but still pretty good. Woodford and Bulleit are sweet bourbons. Elijah Craig 12 fits in with Wild Turkey but is maybe a little better.

I have not had the others.
Ganga
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder