Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Christmas Dramming

General chat and talk about whisky.

Christmas Dramming

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 26, 2005 12:19 pm

Folks -
I know that this post may be unseemingly early, but to give viewers some ideas and time to stock up for christmas, what drams typify christmas day and at what time of the festive day would you drink them?
From my own collection I think I'd plump for:-

Breakfast: Glenmorangie 10
Mid-morning (after a bracing walk with Mrs C and the dog): Arbeg 10
Lunch: Scapa 14 to start - HP25 with pudding
Mid afternoon: (after a further walk with the dog - Mrs C washing up :oops: ) A'Bunadh
Dinner: start with Glenrothes 84 followed by Talisker 18
Night cap: Balblair 38

Boxing day - wait and see how the head is!!!!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:22 pm

Sounds like a plan! I intend to uncork my HP 25 on the day--will probably be the best thing I open!
Deactivated Member

Postby The Dazzler » Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:56 pm

Looks like a good Christmas in the Crieftan household. I love your choice of nightcap, I think the Balblair 38yo typifies Christmas due to the rich sherry enhanced X-mas cake aromas. Glenfarclas 30yo, Bunnnahabhain 1968 and some old Glenrothes are other good examples.

I will be on my annual pilgramage to my parents for christmas and look forward to ransacking my whisky cupboard back there, a few already opened crackers and the temptation of some of the un-opened ones, is this the christmas for the Springbank 21yo or HP 77??

Looking to buy and open 2 or 3 bottles from the following to celebrate Christmas day and New Year:

Ardbeg 10yo OMC (May 2005 bottle)
Brora 22yo OMC
Lagavulin 12yo C/S
Abunadh Batch 15
Old Pulteney 15yo 1990 C/S Gordon + MacPahail
Glenfarclas 15yo
Laphroaig 15yo.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:06 am

It looks like Christmas is coming early for the Badmonkey. After helping a friend secure a settlement on a skiing accident, a bottle of HP 25 or Glengoyne 2000 AD may be on the way. So while I horde the good stuff all for myself, I'll be passing off these whiskies on friends and relatives:

Brunch: Oban with black cod hash

Snowball fight in the valley: Jura. It's piney, and light enough that it won't slow you down too much

Afternoon snacks: Knockandu, because I love the nutty sweetness

Dinner: Roast pork basted with whisky and prunes, so I want something a wee bit spicey. Perhaps Dalwhinnie
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:18 am

Sounds like good choices, Craig!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:26 am

Yes, they all look like great choices.......I'll have to take a look and see what I plan to dram on the day.......
Last edited by Lawrence on Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Admiral » Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:09 am

This always amuses me, and I'm sorry if I'm bringing it up for the umpteenth time, but Christmas over here means a stinking hot day in the middle Summer. Somehow, a dram doesn't seem all that appealing! :cry:

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:25 am

Oh, you poor Ozzies. Think of me while you're shoveling all that hot air out of your driveway. :P
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:26 am

Oh, you poor Ozzies. Think of me while you're shoveling all that hot air out of your driveway.

:D :D :D :D Ha ha ha
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Badmonkey » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:29 am

Admiral,
I can see how the blazing hot sun might drive a man away from the grip of a heavily peated malt. If I were to put together a mid-summer Christmas menu, it might look something like this.

Salad and seafood appetizer (scallops): Auchentoshan. I like the grassy notes of this whisky, but it's the sweet ginger in the background that reminds me of the season. It's not going to get in the way of the light food that surrounds it, either.

Ham: The ham already brings a lot of salt to the table, so my preference would be to go with something a little sweeter with a lot of honey. Highland Park or Dalwhinnie?

Back-up plan: Bake the ham in a bourbon glaze. Mix the honey, mustard, molasses and bourbon (take your pick, but I like Maker's Mark wheat in the summer heat). Sample from the bottle as you go. The ham will be great hot or cold.

Turkey: How about Cragganmore? It's light with a firm body and herbal bouquet, which should complement white meat and stuffing alike.

Plum Pudding: Heavy sherry all the way. Macallan 10?

Damn, time for another snack!
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby STella » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:41 am

We'll get up to a Ardbeg 10 with sausage/bacon butties.

Mid-morning, while on the phone to all the family and friends, the husband will place into my hand a rather nice, large glass of Ardbeg 77. By the time I've finished with the mandatory calls my cheeks will be completely numb! :D

Xmas dinner will probably include a wee Balvenie Doublewood for me and a Ardbeg Very Young for him.

The evening should be rounded off nicely with something like a 'Laddie 3D or Moine Mhor.

Have to say by the time we get to bedtime our cheeks have a nice rosy glow (with nothing to do with the weather!) :D :D :lol:
STella

Postby bamber » Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:29 pm

Admiral wrote:This always amuses me, and I'm sorry if I'm bringing it up for the umpteenth time, but Christmas over here means a stinking hot day in the middle Summer. Somehow, a dram doesn't seem all that appealing! :cry:

Cheers,
Admiral

Big fat bourbon over ice ? :shock: ? - I do it on the rare occasions we get very hot days here.
bamber
Double Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:38 pm

I like to drink port over Christmas, especially on Christmas day.

St Stephen's day usually means a trip down to the pub for a whole host of drinks.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Christmas Dramming

Postby patrick dicaprio » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:34 am

Crieftan wrote:Folks -
I know that this post may be unseemingly early, but to give viewers some ideas and time to stock up for christmas, what drams typify christmas day and at what time of the festive day would you drink them?
From my own collection I think I'd plump for:-

Breakfast: Glenmorangie 10
Mid-morning (after a bracing walk with Mrs C and the dog): Arbeg 10
Lunch: Scapa 14 to start - HP25 with pudding
Mid afternoon: (after a further walk with the dog - Mrs C washing up :oops: ) A'Bunadh
Dinner: start with Glenrothes 84 followed by Talisker 18
Night cap: Balblair 38

Boxing day - wait and see how the head is!!!!

sounds like you wont make it to the Balblair. not because you will be drunk but perhaps Mrs. C will get out the proverbial rolling pin :P

sounds like a great christmas!!

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby bond » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:55 am

Admiral wrote:This always amuses me, and I'm sorry if I'm bringing it up for the umpteenth time, but Christmas over here means a stinking hot day in the middle Summer. Somehow, a dram doesn't seem all that appealing! :cry:

Cheers,
Admiral

So whats your choice of beer(s) for the day???
bond
Gold Member

Re: Christmas Dramming

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:32 pm

patrick dicaprio wrote:
sounds like you wont make it to the Balblair
Oh yes I will :lol: :lol:

patrick dicaprio wrote: not because you will be drunk but perhaps Mrs. C will get out the proverbial rolling pin :P
Pat

I have plans 8) Nuf sed :wink:
Deactivated Member

Postby Paul A Jellis » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:04 am

I bought several bottles in for Christmas:

Caol Ila 12yr
Royal Lochnagar 12yr
Dalmore 12yr
Scapa 14yr
Poit Dhubh
and two bottles of Loch Fyne;

to add the bottles I already had, but the only whisky I drank over Christmas was Black Bottle.

I wonder what I shall fancy over New Year?

Cheers

Paul
Paul A Jellis
Gold Member

Postby Jan » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:40 pm

For the holidays I purchased

Longmorn 15yo
Port Ellen 1979 G&M Cask
Talisker 18yo (a steal at only JWB 1,40 :D )

Over Christmas (at my parents) I did not bring any of these, though, but shared a couple of minis with my brother; Old Pulteney 12 (nice), Dearstalker 10 (bland, but ok) and a rum; El Dorado 12yo (surprisingly nice)

Tonight I'll open the Longmorn I think, while the PE will be saved for new years eve.

Cheers
Jan
Jan
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder