Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Happy (?) St Andrew's Day

General chat and talk about whisky.

Happy (?) St Andrew's Day

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:00 pm

Today is the day to celebrate the patron saint of Scotland. If those of Irish descent can spend St Patrick's Day laughing and dancing and singing, the least we of Scots descent can do on St A's Day is stare dourly into our glasses and complain about the cost of drink!

Slainte!
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:48 pm

I think it is difficult to be happy and clappy on 30 November. There is talk of making St Andrew's Day a public holiday, at the expense of one of the other holidays. Personally, I think we should change patron saint before doing that. Perhaps we could adopt St Euplius as patron saint of Scotland and have a holiday on 12 August every year. Then it would be nice and warm (at least every other year!), and it would be near the start of the Edinburgh Festival and might get things swinging that wee bit earlier.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:03 pm

Well done, Nick! But you forgot to complain about the cost of drink.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:39 am

Damn, drinks cost a lot... ;)

Happy St. Andrew's Day, all...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Elliot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:20 am

I always find it interesting that there are those (especially on St. Patrick's Day) who know nothing of the patron saint they claim to be celebrating and instead act like the drunken pagans that preceded them.
Elliot
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:15 am

I have always found it ironic that on St Patrick's Day - the national holiday of Ireland - all the Irish politicians leave Ireland and go to America.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:31 am

St Patrick is supposed to have brough brewing and distilling to Ireland, so it's only appropriate that he should be celebrated through over indulgence.

Actually, St Patrick's Day is a celebration of Irishness rather than a celebration of the saint. It was originally celebrated in the U.S. before it was here.

Anyway, way too much drinking goes on during St. Patrick's day. I wouldn't go near town.

St Andrew's Day should be celebrated by the Scottish diaspora the world over, minus the bagpipes.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:43 am

Nothing wrong with bagpipes, as long as they don't play "Amazing Grace". That should be outlawed.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:08 am

The trouble is that all "tunes" played on the bagpipes sound like Amazing Grace.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:47 pm

Aidan wrote:The trouble is that all "tunes" played on the bagpipes sound like Amazing Grace.

:!: I think not! Unless by "tunes" you mean sentimental schlock or pop songs. If so, then we are in agreement that certain types of music are inappropriate for the instrument. However, your earlier comment leads me to believe that you consider the pipes inappropriate in any circumstance! I will disagree, but note that you are not alone in your opinion.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:37 am

I was only joking really.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:18 am

Of course...and I was feigning humorlessness in honor of the day. :roll:
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder