Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Hello

General chat and talk about whisky.

Hello

Postby ianbanks » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:16 am

Hello. I am a whisky lover for 15 years now and I only just found this website, in someone elses favorites! I like your website. My favorite whiskys, that are easy to get, are Lagavulin 16, Bowmore Voyage, and Glenfarclas 15.
I have recently become addicted to Irish whiskey! Is that a bad thing to say on this Web site?
I adore Redbreast, Jameson 18, and John Power & Son 12 years old. I want to try Greenspot, where can I get it?
Also do you know where I can get all the Port Ellen distillery releases?

Thankyouy

Ian
ianbanks

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:35 am

Welcome to the forum, Ian. I can assure you that your addiction to Irish whiskey will not be frowned upon in most corners of this site. I for one would love to see more threads devoted to Irish whiskies, mostly because I love what I've had to date and I don't know a damn thing about them. Redbreast is a new favourite, though I miss the bottle of Green Spot I was nursing in Tokyo before my return to Canada.

Cheers,

Badmonkey
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Tom » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:45 am

Welcome to the forum Ian, Glad to see another Irish fan. With you two babbling about the green spot I might aswell get a bottle. What's it like ? It is quite cheap isn't it? Saw a bottle in the shop a while ago. You have any notes on it?
Tom
Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:13 am

The last bottle I had cost me about 3800 yen in Tokyo 8 months ago. That was about $36 US at the time. In terms of flavour it was very distinct. It had an icy menthol quality to it that I had not experienced in a whisky before. My recollections aren't particularly fresh, however, so I'm sure many others on the forum can shed more light on this interesting whisky.

I have yet to see it in Alberta, sadly.
Last edited by Badmonkey on Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:53 pm

Hi Ian - where are you based? I think Green Spot is becoming more widely available. Anyway, I'm also an Irish whiskey fan.

For your guide, there has been a new Redbreast released, which is 15 yrs old and bottled unchillfiltered at 46%. I think it's only available in Germany and France at the minute, but that will change.

Badmonkey - I also get that menthol from Green Spot.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:17 pm

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum, please take a moment and let us know where your based by completing your profile, it helps other when they are answering questions on whisky availability and such (only if you want to).

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Dec 04, 2005 7:08 pm

Yes, and if you're going to be mail-ordering those Port Ellens, be sure to include your street address, so some of us can wait by your mailbox to make sure they arrive safely. :P (No, really, country is sufficient, city or region is nice--it's fun knowing where the people we're talking to are sitting.)
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:26 am

Welcome, Ian...don't take us too seriously around here...Lord knows we don't take ourselves too seriously...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby ianbanks » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:27 pm

Thank you for the welcome. I live in Saltford in England, or just outside it.
Ihave not yet tasted the Green Spot. I travel a lot on business over to Ireland but most of the people I meet there do not know much about their own whiskey. But they drink it and like it. It is quite refreshing actually. I am the opposite and talk about whisky all the time.
The new Redbreast sounds very interesting. I see the Redbreast 12 very much as a drink for this season.
ianbanks

Postby Aidan » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:21 pm

Try Mitchel and Son's on Kildare Street if your trips to Ireland include Dublin. Also, the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

They should have some Redbreast 15 there soon too.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby MacLover » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:14 pm

Hello Ian,

Welcome. Concerning the PE releases you asked about, there are only 6 OB releases that I know of, the 5 "limited edition" annual releases (who knows how many more will come out) and the rare (and it actual is) and very, very, very expensive Port Ellen Maltings.

I believe you can still get the 2nd through 5th Annual releases at Loch Fyne Whiskies (http://www.lfw.co.uk) at very reasonable prices. I am afraid I can't give you any help on the 1st release as it seems to be sold out at most retailers.
MacLover

Postby Lawrence » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:08 pm

Along with the Port Ellen Maltings 21 and the 5 Annual Releases there is also the Rare Malts 20 years old at 60.9% and 22 years old at 60.5% both distilled in 1978 obviously released two years apart.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby MacLover » Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:00 am

Thanks Lawrence. 2 more bottles I need to add to the list to try, if I can find them.
MacLover

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder