Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Your Age by Whisk(e)y

General chat and talk about whisky.

Your Age by Whisk(e)y

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 20, 2005 1:06 pm

Just a little bit of fun - but quite clever. One for the mathematical boffins!

This was originally "Your age by Chocolate" but works equally as well for whisk(e)y. :)

YOUR AGE BY WHISK(E)Y MATH

DON'T CHEAT BY SCROLLING DOWN FIRST!
It takes less than a minute.
Work this out as you read

Don't read the bottom until you've worked it out!
This is not one of those waste of time things -it's fun.

1. First of all, pick the number of times a week that you would like
to have Whisk(e)y (more than once but less than 10)

2. Multiply this number by 2 (just to be bold)

3. Add 5

4. Multiply it by 50 -- I'll wait while you get the calculator

5. If you have already had your birthday this year add 1755 ....
If you haven't, add 1754.

6. Now subtract the four digit year that you were born.
You should have a three digit number

The first digit of this was your original number
(i.e. how many times you want to have whisk(e)y each week).

The next two numbers are

YOUR AGE! (Oh YES, it is!!!!!) 8)

Evidently this is the only year (2005) it will work.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:53 pm

Yes, but it only takes a slight adjustment to make it work for other years.

Whiskeys the same age as me are very expensive.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Photon » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:58 pm

Aidan wrote: Whiskeys the same age as me are very expensive.

Whiskys the same age as anyone old enough to drink them are expensive
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby wilsona » Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:05 am

Photon wrote:Whiskys the same age as anyone old enough to drink them are expensive

Amen, Brother. :cry:
wilsona

Postby Aidan » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:28 am

Probably more so in the U.S. 'cause the drinking age is higher (or am I wrong?)
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:43 pm

Nope. 21 across the board. Can't have the kids getting drunk before we ship them off to...(oh, I promised not to go there.) 19 in Ontario and 18 in Quebec, although it is often said of the latter that "it's only a suggestion".
Deactivated Member

Postby Admiral » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:17 am

At the risk of sounding smug, legal age limit for drinking here in Oz is 18!!

Hence the reason why most young Aussie adults hate travelling to the US - suddenly they're not allowed to drink anymore! :)

Cheers,
Admiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby Crispy Critter » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:15 am

Ah, yes, the Land Of The Free<tm>...

...where "your papers, please" applies to alcohol.

My brother-in-law, a native of Manchester, England (and well over 21) came to the States to visit, back when he was still my sister's fiance. He, my sister, and I went across the street to our nearest bar[1], and ordered some beer.

Well, some time recently, the cops had sent an underage snitch into the bar, and he got served. So, now, the bartender was in full "papers, please" mode, and my future brother-in-law had left his passport at my sister's house in Michigan. Needless to say, we ended up having to go elsewhere.

Well, elsewhere was another pub in town - and they had just instituted a dress code - no tank tops. Guess what he was wearing? :roll: We managed to smooth things out with the proprietor, though, as it was quite clear that we weren't up to trouble.

What a welcome to America! He did marry my sister, though, and they are living in Michigan... and I'm quite proud to call him my brother. Even better, he has a taste for good single malts! :)

[1] I rarely set foot in bars - I can't stand the cigarette smoke.
Crispy Critter
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:00 am

Crispy Critter wrote:Ah, yes, the Land Of The Free<tm>...

... I rarely set foot in bars - I can't stand the cigarette smoke.

I hear ya CC... as I added in my comments on the thread re: Whisky & Cigars: It may just be the years away from a smoke-filled environment but I guess I could be considered hyper-sensitive to smoke (Vancouver banned smoking in public places, restaurants and bars years ago - and now when I travel to places that still allow smoking it hits me like a ton of bricks). I can now enjoy a meal or a whisky in a restaurant or bar without someone else's pleasure impacting/negating mine (or the added expense of a drycleaning bill).

I'm always amazed at how insensitive (oblivious) smokers are to their impact on those around them...

My current pet peeve - now that we have banned smoking from all public buildings - is the wall of smoke us non-smokers have to fight our way through as smokers huddle by the doorways getting their fix...

To me - every smoker has the right in inhale... and that's where it stops!!! :wink:

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:31 am

Yeah...smokers think the smoke escaping their lungs disappears forever, just like the butts they throw out their car windows.

Now let's talk about people who leave their shopping carts (trolleys) in the parking lot!
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:45 am

...or leave their turn signals on for blocks at a time... or play their car stereos so loud... or rant ad nauseum on forum chat rooms about...

Oh, never mind... :wink:

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby woodenboy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:56 am

Here in Scotland the air in all public spaces will be smoke free from March 25 - http://www.clearingtheairscotland.com - I can hardly wait. Oh, and in the UK we can legally drink from the age of 18.
woodenboy

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:13 am

I think it would be 18 in most parts of the world. America is the only place I know of where it's 21. May be a good thing - I don't know.

The smoking ban has worked in Ireland. And if it works in Ireland, it will work anywhere. Personally, I think there should be places where smokers can go, though, apart from outside. There was a fine cigar club in Dublin, which, I believe, had to be closed because of the new rules.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:30 pm

woodenboy wrote:Here in Scotland the air in all public spaces will be smoke free from March 25 - http://www.clearingtheairscotland.com - I can hardly wait. Oh, and in the UK we can legally drink from the age of 18.

Here's another happy camper. Tobacco smoke has always been the one persistently annoying thing on my annual trips. The Bow Bar will now be perfect.

When I was 18, I was glad the age was 18 (it went down and back up in the States). Now that I'm into my second half-century, I think it should be raised to 35 or so.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:33 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Here's another happy camper. Tobacco smoke has always been the one persistently annoying thing on my annual trips. The Bow Bar will now be perfect.

When I was 18, I was glad the age was 18 (it went down and back up in the States). Now that I'm into my second half-century, I think it should be raised to 35 or so.

Except you'll soon find out what the Bow Bar really smells like. These surprises are not always happy ones.
Aidan

Postby woodenboy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:23 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:When I was 18, I was glad the age was 18 (it went down and back up in the States). Now that I'm into my second half-century, I think it should be raised to 35 or so.

Split the difference, make it around 25, and I'll be happy :lol:

I'm an ex-smoker myself (nearly a whole year smoke free after giving it up cold turkey), and I'm ultra-sensitive to other people's smoke now. I find it absolutely disgusting, and I'm actually surprised that non-smokers were never more insistent on their right not to breath second-hand smoke. Also, as a musician who's often playing out live, it makes it so much more pleasant to be able to breathe and not to come home stinking like an ashtray.
woodenboy

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:14 pm

Yeeaahh :? So how did we get on to smoking????

I was in Dublin in the first weekend it was banned in Ireland. I overheard a local worthy asking the bar manager if he was worried. The Manager replied "no" to which the old wag said "You should be. Folk will now be able to taste the food!"

I choked on my Guinness :)

I gave up smoking 15 years ago. I still regret having to as I enjoyed it. However, I smoked 20 odd mini cigars a day. It was too much - a drain on my pocket and I could see obvious health dangers ahead. I would love to sample the odd cigar nowadays but know that I would just start again. Cigarettes hold no attraction though.
I agree with the ban in public places. I hardly ever frequent bars these days purely because of the smell left on my clothes and a rough throat the following day .
I do, however, feel that moves to ban smoking in one's own home are a step too far.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder