Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

How did single malts get mixed up in this?

General chat and talk about whisky.

How did single malts get mixed up in this?

Postby rthomson » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:23 pm

Thought you might appreciate a cartoon by David Horsey concerning recent U.S. politics/shenanigans:

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:54 am

When it comes to bribes and payoffs, nothing is too good for our members of congress.

Oh, that was cynical, wasn't it? Bad Tattie Heid!
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:16 pm

I could certainly be bribed with single malts. Then again, I have no shame.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby ScotchBlog » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:02 pm

I'd hazard to say that because journalists and political cartoonists have bought into the "Single Malt is for the well-to-do" perspective that I think the "expensive whisky stories" only propogate.

Cuban Cigars, cuff-links, and Single Malt - only the glitterati have access to these things :)

My $0.02
ScotchBlog
Bronze Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:07 pm

ScotchBlog wrote:I'd hazard to say that because journalists and political cartoonists have bought into the "Single Malt is for the well-to-do" perspective that I think the "expensive whisky stories" only propogate.

Cuban Cigars, cuff-links, and Single Malt - only the glitterati have access to these things :)

My $0.02

in the US that may be true for cubans, but jeez you can get whisky and cuff links for under $20US. not too well to do for that price, even I can afford them :D

pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

How did whisky...

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:18 pm

ScotchBlog wrote:Cuban Cigars, cuff-links, and Single Malt - only the glitterati have access to these things :)

Scotchblog:
I was at a whisky/brandy and cigar tasting November in Keewatin and we had two Cubans to try, one handrolled Cuban and one machine rolled in Canada. I drink decent whisky, so to be glitterati, I only have to wear cufflinks? Neat! And since Canadians can get Cubans without breaking any embargo, we are all near glitterati. Oh, the joy of living in "the true north strong and free".

You are right 'though, there is a perception that such trappings are a standard of wealth and elevation above the common masses. This illusion is propagated by the Fifth Estate to the point where their tainted offerings can become our reality. Muskrat
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:28 pm

And to be fair, the current Canadian government (even in its diminished form) make US politicians look like rank amateurs when it come to stealing tax payer money. It's the one thing they are good at. They're not even very good at keeping it a secret which you would think would be a requirment.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:57 pm

I believe the cartoon's reference to Scotch is related to one of the more-reported emoluments Mr. Abramoff bestowed, a 2002 trip to Scotland which included former House Majority Leader Tom Delay.
Deactivated Member

Postby MGillespie » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:53 pm

Tim's right on this one...each of the references in the cartoon is something Abramoff gave to members of Congress...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder