Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What a great position to be in...

General chat and talk about whisky.

What a great position to be in...

Postby comicmutt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:16 am

Normally I hate being sick. I've been sick for about a week and it seems like the last phase of a cold for me is the constant dry cough. It's not fun.

Nyquil doesn't help, nor does any other OTC med. Enter Laguvulin 16yo scotch whisky. I haven't coughed once tonight since I've started drinking. And the wife says, "Keep it up, I'd rather have you drunk than coughing. I'd rather you keep drinking the next week, rather than coughing."

"I'll do my best," was my reply. :D
comicmutt

16 yo Lagavulin cough medicine

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:05 am

Interesting.

We've been fighting that dry cough for about three or more weeks and have been trying the Dristan cold medication every 4 hours.

To think Lagavulin will help dry coughs and here I was drinking Caol Ila CS tonight. I'll go pour some Islay cough medicine right away.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby comicmutt » Sun Jan 08, 2006 5:31 am

I would think the Caol Ila would work just as well... especially the CS version. Certainly better than, and more fun than, the Dristan.
comicmutt

Postby Badmonkey » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:32 am

I often try to create a hostile environment for the virus by flooding my bloodstream with alcohol. I doubt this is a medically sound approach, but it certainly helped to ease the pain.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby jeffk » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:08 pm

Badmonkey wrote:I often try to create a hostile environment for the virus by flooding my bloodstream with alcohol. I doubt this is a medically sound approach, but it certainly helped to ease the pain.

Sounds like a perfectly sane approach to me :)
jeffk
Bronze Member

Cold medicine

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:55 pm

Bad Monkey:
Did you and I attend U of M together a long time ago? You may be in Edmonchuk, but you sure sound like some of the Aggies I used to party with. I'd like to add that it was an Aggy Degree friend that introduced me to Single Malts one Saturday morning - a Glenlivet 12 yo in 1977. I've never been without one in my possession since.

I must not have infused my body with enough Lagavulin as I still have a dry cough, just not so frequent. Maybe I should crack the 1979 and let it course through the body to help the lymphatic system. Is the sun over the yard arm yet?

R.P.
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Badmonkey » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:48 am

R.P.,
I think you have the Badmonkey mistaken for someone else. I'm a UBC Thunderbird through and through, and I didn't even start drinking until I was in my late-20s. That helped me skip the part about drinking low-grade swill in vast quantities and go straight to the quality.

I keep my intake fairly low most of the time. I have found that over the last 1 1/2 years that I am catching colds and the flu much less often than before. Whether that has anything to do with my daily dram is anyone's guess.

Cheers,

Craig
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Re: Cold medicine

Postby MGillespie » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:49 am

Muskrat Portage wrote:
Is the sun over the yard arm yet?

R.P.

To quote the song...it's 5 o'clock somewhere...Muskrat, heal thyself...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder